[Picture Thread] How to Replace Slingshot Center Light Unit (not bulb) in 5 Steps

• Ok, hopefully this saves someone the agony of trying to reinvent the wheel - aka replace the center light unit should your center units crack due to a rock like mine did.

What I started with:

What You'll Need:

Step 1: Disconnect both headlight units.

Step 2: Remove the Entire Center Headlight Housing by undoing four bolts (#12 in this diagram). DO NOT try to remove just the headlight. Grab that 10mm ratcheting combination wrench and remove the 4 bolts holding the headlight units in place. The two bottom bolts will be impossible to ratchet all the way off without getting your tool stuck between the hood support bar, so you'll have to manually remove it (learned the hard way). You may curse a lot, but you should not have to remove the horn so quit ya b*tchin.

Step 3: Remove the Damaged Headlight from the housing. The black things holding the headlight into the housing are some sort of Romanian quick release clamps. Don't know the real name, but use the flat nose pliers to pinch the release tabs on the three screws holding the headlight in and it should pop out. Once out of the housing, remove the black Romanian quick release clamps and use a screw driver to remove the screws if ya wanna salvage the parts. If not - just throw the unit out screws / caps and all.

Don't forget to remove the old bulb from the broken unit - future free bulb replacement, yay!

Step 4: Prepping the Replacement. The replacement headlight comes with an extra screw you won't need, so don't fret - it's like Ikea, some parts aren't necessary (maybe). Screw the bolts into the new headlight BEFORE you put the black caps on - you won't need to screw it in all the way, just match the picture up top - about half way, then pop the three caps on and shove it back into place.

Step 5: Reinstalling the Housing. New bulb in housing, return to your noble steed and reassemble using the 10mm wrench. Remember - those two bottom bolts are a b*tch, so you'll have to manually wrench it in without using the ratchet until you have clearance.

* I didn't need to adjust the angle of the headlight beam but if you do, I think they teach ya how in the owner's manual.

I sold my SL LE and downgraded to a 2008 Dodge Viper ACR and then downgraded again to a 2014 Ducati 848 Streetfighter :S

• Ok, hopefully this saves someone the agony of trying to reinvent the wheel - aka replace the center light unit should your center units crack due to a rock like mine did.

thank you for bringing this over- It is cumbersome to search the dark side for bits of invaluable information! Hope you and BF are enjoying the new toy!

• Slowly we will get all the information over here. Come on people, all of those DIY, how to's and general info needs to be moved here. I had to tell a friend who is going to buy a SS, if he needed look for info it was at the other place. If he wanted to ask for info to come to us here at SSinfo

• Slowly we will get all the information over here. Come on people, all of those DIY, how to's and general info needs to be moved here. I had to tell a friend who is going to buy a SS, if he needed look for info it was at the other place. If he wanted to ask for info to come to us here at SSinfo

I took down my vid about the clicking in the rear wheel, but if anyone wants it, I can email it to them and they can upload it to Slingshotinfo's youtube page and post here.

I sold my SL LE and downgraded to a 2008 Dodge Viper ACR and then downgraded again to a 2014 Ducati 848 Streetfighter :S