Hahn RaceCraft vs. Hurricane Irma

Attention Vendors. Please email robert@rabtech.com any instruction manuals you may have for your products. They will be added to the FILEBASE tab for members to access.
  • Hello all. Just a quick stop in, to inform on our status. As many of you undoubtedly know, we just took a lickin' from a formidable fighter, a ferocious femme fatale named Irma. She's laid much of the state to waste, and we are all recovering. Damage was extremely chaotic and scattered, with many tornadoes and such. Irma hit some areas hard, and some less hard. We sustained relatively minor damage, but at one point, we were straight in the path of the eye, with her set to arrive at Cat4. We of course prepped like mad, setting up for 150 MPH winds as well as for a long time without power, food or water.

As luck would have it, we were blessed with only 85 MPH winds, so much of the feared destruction didn't occur. Praise the lord, as we live in a rural agricultural county full of trailers and modulars...and downright shacks! Our house is literally a concrete block fortress in comparison. We feared people and critters were gonna get blown around the county, as their shelters yielded to such force as would be provided by a Cat4. The smarter ones did evacuate to government shelters, as had a Cat4 hit, these structures would be shredsville.

So a very troubling time for our little corner of the state, lil' ol' Morriston...which isn't even a town, it's a census district (but that's a story for another time!). But I digress, as I am often wont to do.

We shook off the first windblown branches Monday, as the hurricane had struck us in the middle of the night, like some little bitch. Damn you woman, I wanted to at least SEE your fury! Night-time attack. It was like being the one-pin on a darkened bowling alley, hearing bolls rolling by in the darkness, wondering when one is gonna smack you into the void. A very eerie feeling as the house strained against the wind for hours, strong sounds which were oddly muted by the now boarded-up windows. Apparently they work!

By 4AM or so, I knew we'd dodged the bullet, with us now in her weak backwash. Finally, after days of dread and mad prep, we were in the clear. As hoped, the long landfall had taken much of the steam out of her wicked engine.

Still, it's yanked everything all up way out here. We've still no power, with none expected for many days for this region. It's been off since Sunday night. Of course, so also went down our internet and phone lines, so we are a bit of an island right now. Cellular is thankfully now returning, so I again have my hotspot and can get some word out.

Word is: We good! In addition to the lighter-than-feared damage, we also have partial power thanks to our RV's generator that we wired into our compound grid. Today, I managed to achieve some much-needed free Love's WiFi time with a generator fuel run to the Love's truck stop some 30 miles away. First trip off-campus since hunkering down. Felt good, but was also sort of surreal, with lots of isolated damage to see. Sitting in a line a mile long for an hour or two in order to get gas is also a new experience. I got $150 worth of that precious generator fuel though!

So, for Hahn RaceCraft, we've begun to re-open as of today. Had most of the staff in, got used to our current situation, took stock. We can't run our larger machines, or the main AC, as our auxiliary power is only 120V, and the big ones take 240V and/or three-phase. As one might imagine, current orders-in-process will unavoidably be delayed by the hurricane downtime. We are in contact with customers regarding details.

New inquiries will be what we get to next, but I ask that same please be patient.

We can function to a degree with our auxiliary 120V until power is restored. Many of our smaller machines are operable, and the word on the street is that our main power may be restored by Sunday night. Communications is still a wild card, what with the internet and phones still down, and no telling for how long. Thankfully, now that cellular service is coming back, we can begin to catch back up on communications. As we've been "blacked out" for a few days, I'm sure it's been piling up!

We're putting regular updates on our website and Facebook page, and Facebook Messenger is a good way to speak to us at the moment, either to myself or Hahn RaceCraft. Email too, but phones are not in the loop at this time. My personal Bill Hahn Jr Facebook page is where I've outlined the details of this journey; you may find it entertaining!

We're hoping this interruption will be as brief as possible under the circumstances. We are already building speed, and by Monday, hopefully will be back at full throttle!

Much love to all Floridians who suffered at the hand of Irma, as well as to their far-flung families worldwide, who suffered the anguish of not knowing the fate of their distant loved ones in Florida as communications fell during the most violent parts of the storm. Social media played a huge benefit to this, as an impromptu and rather intimate system of contact spontaneously congealed around the storm. Our strong Facebook presence proved to be to this movement's advantage...we even spoke to families of far-flung people we'd never met who had relatives in our area...and we were able to relieve their anxious high alert with news of their loved ones' safety. There is no better feeling in the world than being the one to tell a loved one that their loved one is safe and healthy. The overflow of positive energy and overwhelming gratitude is hard to describe. My cup runneth so over. I've never felt so blessed to be that right place, right time person.

An experience like this can be transformative, and to an adrenaline junkie thrillseeker like me, it's an adventure as well. Double-win! My heart is filled with love for all the people who've reached out so hard to help their fellow humans here. It's real soul food, and I've been gobbling it up wherever I can. We've all pitched in, and completely forgot all that ultimately silly shit we tended to occupy ourselves with before the storm.

With any luck at all, we can all maintain this superb shift in priorities, even once the storm's healing is complete. That's my goal!

Talk soon,
    Bill and Aubrey Hahn
    Hahn RaceCraft, Inc.

• Glad to hear you all are okay... hang in there as things will slowly get better. It's going to take some serious time. Floridians needs a lot of support - keep your head up!

• Stoked you made it out unscathed for the most part!

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor"

"a turbo spooling up is just the small time we let you supercharger owners have some false hope of actually winning... " - rabtech

• Thanks so much to all. There's much to be done, but we'll do it! Florida will rebuild and recover.

Hopefully we'll have power/water/internet and phone by next week. I say that not to whine, but to help keep customer and prospect expectations as to our capability/availability properly and realistically leavened. Facebook, forums such as these, and limited email will suffice for now.

Let's all pray for Florida and Floridians. We've a long way to go.

• We're considering a sales promotion to help us get through the hurricane interruption. We've been focused on storm prep/storm itself/storm aftermath for over a week now.

What we'd feature are items that do not require extensive manufacturing and fabrication in our facility, such as our Hahn/QA1 coilovers. As our current manufacturing capability is diminished by the storm's after-effects (no power, mostly), this would be a way for us to still be able to deliver product and make up much-needed sales volume that the storm and its various implications have taken away.

The sticky part I'm vacillating on...do we allude to the sale being based on real needs brought about by Hurricane Irma? While we certainly have a valid claim, as we are no doubt one of its victims, do we cross any lines claiming this catastrophe as a rationale behind a sale? My primary concern is not to be mis-interpreted, such as being perceived as exploiting the storm.

I ask advice because frankly, I feel I am too close in to be sure that my perceptions are valid. I need some external points of view: good, bad or otherwise. Enlighten me with your advice, folks...I'm a tired and motivated man whose company has to make some money to overcome this storm's impact on our operations and sales!

• Thanks so much to all. There's much to be done, but we'll do it! Florida will rebuild and recover.

Hopefully we'll have power/water/internet and phone by next week. I say that not to whine, but to help keep customer and prospect expectations as to our capability/availability properly and realistically leavened. Facebook, forums such as these, and limited email will suffice for now.

Let's all pray for Florida and Floridians. We've a long way to go.

I'm off on Friday and Saturday. If you need help cleaning up I'm down here in Tampa bay I could ride up and do whatever it takes to get you back on the map. I'm pretty handy if I do say so myself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• I'm off on Friday and Saturday. If you need help cleaning up I'm down here in Tampa bay I could ride up and do whatever it takes to get you back on the map. I'm pretty handy if I do say so myself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

Your offer makes me beam with gratitude. I would not say no, but I would offer that I believe you'd find more needful people in your region. If you're down with making the trip, we'd welcome you with open arms!