WTF Man!! NSFA (Not Safe For Americans)

• So my daughter got a flag from school for a 9/11 remembrance ceremony today! Awesome, right!? They are teaching the importance of this day in American history that has forever changed our lives as Americans.

Then, upon a closer look!!

What the hell!?!?

Am I wrong for thinking this way??

• it is very sad that for many, purchases are soley based on price with no consideration of where it is made, with what materials, or if the manufacturer supports your ideals (union shop vs. open shop vs. at-will shop ir political party support etc.)

• I get it,.. I really do. But for me, it's still the American flag. I don't care where it's made. Plus, at least it was brought up in school. Maybe there is hope.

Agree 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• So I thought about this for a minute, because on the surface, I agree with you, but it's not a superficial issue.

I think we can all agree that the school did something cool in giving their students a flag on 9/11. And I think we can all agree that the school is on a budget. In order to supply the number of flags required, and stay in budget, the school likely had to go with the cheapest available. We all know that typically means China. At a time when our schools are hard pressed to meet their financial needs as it is, can you blame them for this?

For anyone who is living paycheck to paycheck, or struggling to make ends meet, can you really begrudge them the more affordable products?

Then you get into the question of how we make our products competitive, and it takes you down a whole new rabbit hole.

I guess my point is I cannot blame the school for using a product made in China. He'll, I'm proud that they did anything at all -- many people have forgotten or no longer care.

• Here is one for you. About 6 years ago my son on active duty volunteered to retrieve flags placed on the graves of our fallen. He kept a bag of flags as they were going to dispose of them anyway, approximately 30 flags in this bag, all marked by a 1-2" dirt mark on the end were they were placed in the ground at the grave. I found this bag of flags a few years later in my garage tucked away. Each one marked with a sticker "made in China". I have removed all the labels in order to fly them at appropriate events on our SS. For me on the graves of our fallen makes no sense that they be made by a foreign country.

• So my daughter does go to a public school but I do not believe they are hurting for money. I am glad they did something, but I still have some heartburn with the fact that we couldn't find flags made in America. Here are small little American flags for 19 cents a piece - 4" x 6" American Stick Flag - Cotton No Fray U.S. Stick Flag. That means 1000 of them could have been purchased for less than $200. I would have purchased them myself for the school.

Don't get me wrong, everything I buy is not American. I try to buy American, but sometimes I just can't find what I want made in America or the price difference is just too large to justify. But if I can, and it's reasonable, I will. But something about the symbol that represents our country, The Flag for which men and women have given their lives for, I just can't bring myself to accept that it's okay for that to be made anywhere else but by our people, for our people.

• @rnj12, schools do try to raise fees, but for some reason many people get pissy when someone wants to raise their taxes or increase the number of items teachers request students to bring to class... Unless I'm missing something...

Hey @MiM -- you strip for extra school funding, right?

• @rnj12, schools do try to raise fees, but for some reason many people get pissy when someone wants to raise their taxes or increase the number of items teachers request students to bring to class... Unless I'm missing something...

Hey @MiM -- you strip for extra school funding, right?

Thanks for that I had no idea as I don't have kids.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app