Tires...what are you running?

• 244 / 40 20 would be about 1/5 inch skinnier and around .7 inch taller I wouldn't that would be even close to enough difference to cause any problems with the nanny's and the speedometer runs of the front so you speed should still shoe correctly

as a side note I dont see any reason why your rear tire has to match the fronts

I agree that the front and rear needn't be the same tire, in fact, we are still running our BFGoodrich g-force Comp-2 tire on the rear with the new Yokohama's on the front. I am thinking that we are so pleased with the performance of the Yokohama's that we want to install on the rear also when the time comes.

As another side note, the one time I had the thrill of doing the do-si-do down the interstate after a hydroplaning incident, I am not sure which lost traction first, the front or the rear? We had the original Kenda's installed at the time.

Bill

• I’m starting to look at wheels and tires, I’ve been running stock 2015 SL wheels for 4 years now. I plan to use the new set for summer only with performance summer tires and keep my current set for spring and fall in MN.

I can see why vendors have ready-made packages because it is tough finding wheels that work. I haven’t found a ready-made set I like (and the wife likes, and her opinion is important to the enjoyment of my our slingshot) and a couple questions came up as I’m looking around...

rear wheel size: I want a wider rear wheel but cant decide between a 10.5in wheel (305 tire) or go real wide with a 12in wheel (345 tire). Seems like a lot more tire options for a 10.5in wheel. Those of you that have either one or tried both, what’s your opinion? I’m more into performance than looks but definitely want to go wider than stock.

Front wheel clearance: most front wheels I’m finding come in either 8.5in or 9in with a +35 offset (common setup from the SS vendors), this looks like it will stick out 3/4in more than stock (per willtheyfit.com). Can you go with a higher offset to move the wheel further in and still clear the suspension and steering? This isn’t a big deal really, so it’s more curiosity than anything.

• A 305 or 315 tire will probably be cheaper than a 345. Generally speaking, 17-20" wheels in widths maxing out around 305-315 will generally be cheaper than tires falling outside that range.

As far as finding matching front and rear wheel with the correct or close offsets, you're right in that it is a complete PITA! I found a 10th Anniversary Cobra style 17x10.5, Mustang rear wheel from American Muscle that fits a Nitto 555 G2 315/35ZR17 that is dimensionally similar to my stock rear (with the exception that its Offset is 28mm, centering the wheel about 1.5" to the left of the stock wheel) and that I feel looks similar to my stock 2015 Base wheels, but most of the time it seems I find a rear wheel in a size I like, but the front wheels are wider than I'd prefer to use.

Since the stock front wheel offset is 42mm, you should be able to use any Offset that doesn't exceed 42mm. Keep in mind though, that some oweners run 3 rear wheels, meaning an offset up to 45mm will fit.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Be sure to check out Rev Dynamics. Bought my set from them. Mitch is a really nice guy to deal with. And they are packaged and shipped to go thru a nuclear war. I'm running

Lexanitwenty 305/30zR20 103y

Frt 255/35zr19 96w xl

I’ve been looking at their wheels, I may end up going that route. The styles I like most come with a 10.5 wheel, but can’t decide if that’s the size I want. I’m just being picky I suppose

• A 305 or 315 tire will probably be cheaper than a 345. Generally speaking, 17-20" wheels in widths maxing out around 305-315 will generally be cheaper than tires falling outside that range.

As far as finding matching front and rear wheel with the correct or close offsets, you're right in that it is a complete PITA! I found a 10th Anniversary Cobra style 17x10.5, Mustang rear wheel from American Muscle that fits a Nitto 555 G2 315/35ZR17 that is dimensionally similar to my stock rear (with the exception that its Offset is 28mm, centering the wheel about 1.5" to the left of the stock wheel) and that I feel looks similar to my stock 2015 Base wheels, but most of the time it seems I find a rear wheel in a size I like, but the front wheels are wider than I'd prefer to use.

Since the stock front wheel offset is 42mm, you should be able to use any Offset that doesn't exceed 42mm. Keep in mind though, that some oweners run 3 rear wheels, meaning an offset up to 45mm will fit.

thanks, I do remember now reading some folks running the stock rear on the front, good to know. I agree on the front wheels being too wide, I don’t want to go any wider than 8.5, ideally i would like it to be 7.5 like stock or 8.

• One thing to keep in mind about changing Offset is it can have an impact on the pressures on the ball joints/steering architecture. I am not an expert on this, but it seems to me that going to a smaller Offset is less likely to stress the suspension components since a smaller Offset positions the components closer together, while going to (significantly) larger Offsets moves the components apart and effectively increases leverage among the various suspension components. A smaller Offset will position the wheel farther away from the suspension components.

• That’s a good point BKL and that is my concern with going with larger front wheels (both taller and wider), more wear and tear on the steering components. I’m sure offset would have some affect as well, but I’m far from an expert.

• That's the BIG advantage of http://www.willtheyfit.com since it provides a visualization between the positioning of the stock and new wheel/tire combo, but I prefer the speedo estimates from https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator. Once you know how the new wheel will sit compared to the stock wheel, it's a simple matter to look to see if the new wheel might get too close to any suspension components

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I have been running 265/35/18 on all 3 corners for a few years

The handling is great and I have had no issues - but one thing you will notice with big wheels up front is that on back roads that are not in great shape the front wheels will follow the imperfections of the pavement.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Okay, digging up this thread. My Nitto 555 in the rear is about used up. And now with the Turbo, it's gonna get used up faster. Time to order new tires.

I have heard and seen the Toyo Proxes and really like them. But I can't find the thread pattern that I saw live. The ST III's are closest, but that's not exactly what I see the other people in SS's running. Anyone got an idea how the ST IIIs would run given they are a light truck tire?

Currently running Nitto 555 R2s 295/25ZR22's on a Twist Dynamics 22x11 rim so wanna keep same diameter but go as wide as I can. Looking at the 295/30 or /35's below.

• I ran the Toyo T1R and it performed very well. I had the stock tire size 305/30/20. I think its discoctinued but you can find it some places -

https://www.discountedwheelwar…D+103Y&partno=Toyo-240490

They may have some at RevDynamics as well since this is a tire they used for all of their aftermarket sets

THAT"S the one I was looking for! That's probably why it wasn't one the Toyo site any more - discontinued.

Since it is discontinued, does anyone know what the direct replacement would be?

• We are coming up due for a rear tire and even though we are very happy with the Yokohama YK740 GTX tires we have on the front, Yokohama does not manufacture this tire in 255/35-R20. So since we are searching for a different rear tire anyways, the Yokohama AVID ENVigor ZPS, which has run-flat technology, has popped on to our radar. Now I am seeing this as being advantageous with the SlingShot and am curious if anybody has any experience with run-flat tires?

Bill

(Added note where further investigation shows that Yokohama does not manufacture this tire in stock SlingShot sizes. :(

bill

• do you have a link to this in the 255/ 35 r-20 size - - all I am finding is 18 inch and smaller - - - Like you I would be interested in atires with run-flat tech especially if it were reasonably priced

As a side note with the rather low milage I tend to get on rear tires investing huge sums is not really practical

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• do you have a link to this in the 255/ 35 r-20 size - - all I am finding is 18 inch and smaller - - - Like you I would be interested in atires with run-flat tech especially if it were reasonably priced

As a side note with the rather low milage I tend to get on rear tires investing huge sums is not really practical

You are too quick for me, Edward, you responded before I could edit my post to share that these tires are not available in the sizes for our SlingShots. :(

Bill

• all of the run flat tires I have seen have been very expensive might be worth it for the fronts - I have been getting good tread life out of the Nitto Motivo's I am running in front, but on back where tire life is rather short not sure it would be worth investing

also I have seen any run-flat options even come up in my past searches for the 20 inch rear - - -

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies