Tires...what are you running?

• I was just looking thru Simple Tire at the high performance/racing tires. I found 3 that I would be very interested in that will not kill you in price 1) Federal SS595 @ $103 2) Cooper Zeon RS3-S @ $124 3) was a Lexani that I could not find the one that I liked again from yesterday and it was just over $100. All three of these I liked for the tread pattern for traction and the wet. Somebody try these and let us know something. Right now I do not need a new back tire I have three new spares right now so it will be awhile for me. I am hoping I can wear out that new Nitto 555 G-2 on track day, but it is so hard with no traction it just might last a while. I just found a couple more but the price is a little higher The Sumitomo HTR III @ $129 and the Sumitomo HTRZ5 @ $142

• I have the Cooper Zeon RS3-S on my SLR. I think I paid rather a bit more than the $135 quoted above, but this was the bigger tire for my 315/20/R35 rear end. YMMV

After about 3,000 miles this summer, I gotta say I'm very pleased. A good balance between launch grip, spinning fun, and corners very well (much better than the stock Kenda.)

I think I will put Coopers on the front end when those OEM Kendas wear out...

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• I have the Cooper Zeon RS3-S on my SLR. I think I paid rather a bit more than the $135 quoted above, but this was the bigger tire for my 315/20/R35 rear end. YMMV

After about 3,000 miles this summer, I gotta say I'm very pleased. A good balance between launch grip, spinning fun, and corners very well (much better than the stock Kenda.)

I think I will put Coopers on the front end when those OEM Kendas wear out...

Them fronts are rated for like 100K miles. Good luck wearing them out. AHHAHAHAHAHHA

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• What do you posters consider to be a safe speed in the rain. I see a lot of people talking about hydroplaning but no one had mentioned the speed they were running when it happened. This would be good info for new owner.

• What do you posters consider to be a safe speed in the rain. I see a lot of people talking about hydroplaning but no one had mentioned the speed they were running when it happened. This would be good info for new owner.

Depends on the tires and road conditions. Most hydroplaning happens when you hit standing water not just wet roads. Many of us use summer tires for better traction and they do not perform well in the rain. You just need to be alert and look ahead - if you hit standing water at speed depending on which wheel looses traction the bike will turn in that direction.

Just based on my experience. I avoid the rain but everyone here will tell you it is because I hate cleaning the sling after a storm. OCD I guess!

Be safe

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

the first time it happened to me was at about 75 on I-40, almost no traffic. Caught it before it went totally uncontrollable. Backed down to 40 and put on my flashers and kept going. Water was ponding on the roadway, had Neto 555s on. At 40 it was manageable, but the semis weren’t too happy with me.

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• MACAWS even cleans his Sling after each ride whether it needs it or not. As to riding in the rain, there are some that have spun out at speeds of 35 mph or lower. I have rode in the rain many times and standing water is the problem when you hit a puddle of water with any one of the Slings tires with the nannies on. Normally when the pavement is wet I cut the nannies off ( both) by holding the switch in until both lights come on (about 3 seconds I think). I am very careful of what tires I install on my Sling because of riding while the pavement is wet and all the tires are ZR rated with a good rain tread. The Nitto 555 G2 is the worst tire that I have ever run. The stock Kenda's are great compared to the Nitto 555 which I can spin on demand with my NA Slingshot. So far I have had no problems in 93,000 miles and I do have many miles in the pouring rain and the wet pavement. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN THE HIGHWAY IS WET AND SLOW DOWN

I had already stopped under cover due to the heavy rain, but I hit another patch of rain a little later after getting on the Interstate. I started to fishtail into the next lane in a heavy downpour. Fortunately, I had positioned my Slingshot so I had one or two lanes either side of my lane and no vehicles were next to me when it happened. I was able to regain control of my Slingshot before anything bad happened and pulled off onto the service road where I drove at an even slower speed until the rain let up again and then got back on the Interstate to get home.

I've actually had several instances where the rear end broke loose during rain and have luckily been able to safely recover each time, although I'm surprised my shorts didn't change color!

I was driving on a dry road under clear, sunny skies and was crossing abridge when the rear end suddenly kicked slightly sideways. I went back and checked the road surface and didn't notice any wet or slick spots and don'y know to this day what happened.

• You can get the same thing with leaves on the road or gravel and or sand. I have had both to happen while driving on the mountain roads and the rear end of the Sling would just snap out.

Maybe you should reconnect the brakes and try them one in a while - just sayin!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• another thing to keep in mind is that a tire with a wider footprint will have a grater tendency to hydroplane than a narrower tire - - just something to keep in mind when tire shopping especially if riding in the rain will be something you plan on doing on a regular basis

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• knowing what I’ve read here about rainy weather spin outs.....if the road in front of my house is wet....I stay home. I’ve been caught in the rain several times, been soaked pretty good. If you need to ride to get home, that’s one thing. If you’re joy riding it’s another. No joy in crashing.

• knowing what I’ve read here about rainy weather spin outs.....if the road in front of my house is wet....I stay home. I’ve been caught in the rain several times, been soaked pretty good. If you need to ride to get home, that’s one thing. If you’re joy riding it’s another. No joy in crashing.

not much choice when the Sling is my daily driver - - rain or shine my slingshot is it

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• the first time it happened to me was at about 75 on I-40, almost no traffic. Caught it before it went totally uncontrollable. Backed down to 40 and put on my flashers and kept going. Water was ponding on the roadway, had Neto 555s on. At 40 it was manageable, but the semis weren’t too happy with me.

Nitto 555... worst tire I've had on my Sling(s). Never again. Not even for a spin free day. Those just don't hold, the only good thing about them is that they look good. My General RS will trash that every day in every type of weather. I'm sure there are better tires than that, but the Nitto sucks the worst of all the tires I've used on my SS.

Never Nitto here.....