Tires...what are you running?

• Update on my unfortunate experience with Pep Boys and my original Achilles ATR SPort 2 305/30R18 tire mounting experience. See Posts # 671, 674 & 711 for background info.

I had emailed Pep Boys corporate about my disappointing experience and a couple weeks later received a request for any additional info I wished to submit. I started prepping an answer, but forgot to actually send it back to Pep Boys (something that seems to be happening more often than I'd like). I discovered the draft email in my Drafts folder a few days ago and sent it to Pep Boys apologizing for not having responded sooner. A day or so later, I received a response saying I should soon hear from my local Pep Boys store and the General Manager called me today to verify the info he had. He then offered to replace my tire, saying that while the store is not admitting any responsibility, he felt the $100 cost of the tire was not worth generating any ill-will. With luck, I should have the new tire in about 1 week or so. I'd like to state that Pep Boys is again back in my good graces. The brake job I got there just before the tire incident seems to be working well and was very reasonably priced with a nice rebate, too.

• Update on my unfortunate experience with Pep Boys and my original Achilles ATR SPort 2 305/30R18 tire mounting experience. See Posts # 671, 674 & 711 for background info.

I had emailed Pep Boys corporate about my disappointing experience and a couple weeks later received a request for any additional info I wished to submit. I started prepping an answer, but forgot to actually send it back to Pep Boys (something that seems to be happening more often than I'd like). I discovered the draft email in my Drafts folder a few days ago and sent it to Pep Boys apologizing for not having responded sooner. A day or so later, I received a response saying I should soon hear from my local Pep Boys store and the General Manager called me today to verify the info he had. He then offered to replace my tire, saying that while the store is not admitting any responsibility, he felt the $100 cost of the tire was not worth generating any ill-will. With luck, I should have the new tire in about 1 week or so. I'd like to state that Pep Boys is again back in my good graces. The brake job I got there just before the tire incident seems to be working well and was very reasonably priced with a nice rebate, too.

Are you kin to Paul Harvey? jk jk

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• for those of us using dark theme which tend to be the majority of people who use mobile devices since it saves battery, your dark font is unreadable....

Specially for those of us with bad eyesight

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I composed my post and then copied it to post it here. Evidently, any dark text must have occurred as a result of the composing/copying process and was not intended. The text looked relatively normal to me. Here is a repost -

Update on my unfortunate experience with Pep Boys and my original Achilles ATR SPort 2 305/30R18 tire mounting experience. See Posts # 671, 674 & 711 for background info.

Did the repost come out any better or is it still dark? It looks OK to me, but let me know so I can avoid problems int he future.

Oh, as far as I know,I have no relation to Paul Harvey. I had posted unfavorably about my experience at Pep Boys, but since they took action to address my situation, I felt it only fair to let folks know.

• I had an incident several years ago with a national pet store and sick animals we adopted from 2 of their stores.

I’m sworn to secrecy but suffice to say I didn’t mess with the local stores I went straight to corporate......in no uncertain terms I provided facts and evidence and told them the course of action I would be taking in 2 weeks. I demanded financial compensation for the medical bills which were over $2500. All my other animals got sick from them requiring extensive treatment and medication twice because they were adopted a year apart. I could have easily lost all of them...hence my level of anger. I didn’t connect the dots until after the second adoption...

Their lawyers must have read that info package and told them to cut a check really fast. I got my full money back. I think they quickly got the gist of what was about to come down upon them.

First I meant every word of the actions I was about to take which involved newspaper, TV and actually sitting in a chair in front of their store.

I feel my info package was concise and professional and was addressed directly to the CEO at the corporate HQ. I didn’t use any foul language. I just presented my case and what I needed to “go away”.

They told my I didn’t need to go that route it could have been handled locally.... I say BS....I didn’t feel like going through the hassle that would have followed. I got their attention and a satisfactory resolution without having to flip out on some local numbskulls which would have only pissed me off.

I would not hesitate to do it this way again....I go right to the top. Remember the buck stops with them. They don’t want any unnecessary bad press. I made the noise and my wheel was greased.

• We need to remember that all these tire stats and reviews are on 4 wheel vehicles...

So while the reviews can be a decent guideline (for a car or truck) not so much for a slingshot....traction wet and dry, mileage and wear pretty much go out the window.

None of us drives the same. Some are putting way more power down than others. Different road conditions from state to state. I put on my 3rd rear tire and second fronts at 12,500 miles...no where on any review are you going to see these stats.

The SS wasn’t designed to be driven in the rain, no matter what tire you use.

• I will agree that the rear is never going to wear like it would on a car, but I see no reason why my front tires should get any worse wear than they would on a car if it were driven the same under the same conditions.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies