Tires...what are you running?

• I got the General G-Max RS Ultra High Performance mounted on the spare rims today after work. I'm cleaning up the rims and putting a new coat of F11 on them before the install. On the stock SL rim, that 275 looks fat compared to the stock tire on the Sling. I'll get pics when I get to the install, with Easter and work, may be next week before I get to it.

• 2016 SL, 22000 miles and I just replaced all 3 tires.

This is my 4th rear tire (I don't worry too much about rated tread life, I know it will be short no matter what) and it's my first time replacing the Kenda front tires.

I went with Nitto NT555 G2 all around. Maxed out the sizes for stock SL rims: 245/45 x 18 at the front and 275/35 x 20 at the rear.

I also bought a second rear since I know it won't last nearly as long as the fronts and I got a bit of a discount for 4 tires instead of 3.

The Nitto are a bit cheaper than the alternatives I was considering. I had a BF Goodrich Comp2 A/S at the rear before this but realized I don't need to compromise with an All Season tire. I'm looking for mostly dry and occasionally wet traction.

From what I've read, All-Season Ultra High Performance tires (like the Comp2 A/S) may compromise some dry and wet grip to gain winter traction. Summer Ultra High Performance tires (like the Nitto) are generally better in the dry and wet, though they are not intended for cold weather and won’t grip in snowy or icy conditions. Well I don't plan to ever drive this thing in the snow and ice.

The Nitto does seem to have more grip although I haven't tried it in the rain yet. In any case I avoid the rain whenever possible and know to slow down when I get caught in it, so I think these will work well for me.

• I got to use my Nitto NT555g2 315/35r17's in the rain today... left the hotel, it looked bad, but wasn't raining, was only going 5 miles to my office... it came a downpour after just half mile.

I didn't get it up over 60, and slowed down where ever water was standing and it only got squirrely with me once, but I was only going 25 or so on a back road and I goosed it in 2nd while in some deep water, just to see how it would react.

For summer tires, I was surprised at how well they did.

Now, I would not want to ride for any length of time in the rain, but for a short trip that caught me by surprise, I wasn't disappointed.

• My Neto 555s are nearing the end of their useful lives. They were put on at about 2,000 mi and the Sling is at 11,400 now. Not bad wear, considering.

I am looking for a good set of all weather replacements. My riding style isn’t all that aggressive and I want to be ready for long distance rides in most weather conditions. Enjoying the conversations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• When I went to replace my kenda's I decided to go with the Nitto Motivo. they rate it a tad lower for dry traction than the 555G2 but give it 5 bars for wet traction, In fact it is the only Nitto passenger car tire that they give the full 5 wet traction rating - as you probably know my slingshot is my daily driver as such I never know when I might get caught in the rain - to me having that extra wet traction was worth the trade for slightly less dry traction

now having said this I have found that even in dry the motivo's have better traction than the stock kendas and I am very happy with the Motivo tire

Nitto Motivo, all-season ultra high performance tire

Edit - I also like that being a non directional tire means when the time comes I can actually switch the fronts and rotate them :thumbsup:

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Follow-up to my Post # 71 -

I sent the Amazon tire seller, Giga Tires, a picture of the tire damage and they told me they didn't feel it was a manufacturing defect nd that the damage was caused by the installer, Pep Boys. After 1 week, I still haven't heard from Pep Boys corporate. I did go back and talk to the local manager, who basically told me they wouldn't do anything, claiming they had already gone out of their way to help me by even trying to installing the Achilles ATR Sport 2 305/30ZR18 tire. I mentioned they were listed as a recommended installer by the seller and he wanted to know why I didn't have the tire shipped straight to them. I replied I hadn't had any experience with them or shipping direct to an installer. He also scoffed that I'd go to Small Claims court over such a small amount ($104). Since it would cost me about as much as my tire cost, I've now posted about my experience on NextDoor.com, leaving out names, but describing my situation and asking for comments from anyone who has used Small Claims court for similar situations. based on posted responses, I'll have to decide if I want to risk the filing fees to try Small Claims court.

I also went by Discount Tire and asked if they could order an Achilles ATR Sport 2 305/30ZR18 tire, a brand they don't carry. The kid working there basically looked at the computer and said they didn't carry that brand, so I ordered another tire from Giga Tires. I'll go to the independent tire shop to get it installed since I've seen the care they took to try and seat the tire before they found the damaged bead.

• Interesting, that wasn't the experience I had at Discount, the salesman got on the phone and started calling distributors until he found one that could get what I wanted.

Hopefully it all turns out good for you.

Young kid - Didn't seem all that interested. The independent tire shop I used after pep Boys failed seems friendly, reliable and courteous. Discount Tire has done well on my previous visits for my Ford Edge and my Slingshot. I just wanted to see how the Achilles ATR Sport 2 tire does the job since it's even cheaper than what I paid locally for replacement Kendas in the stock size.

• In reference to the pictures of my front tires that I posted earlier, I had my front end laser aligned Friday and the dealer said my front end wasn't that far out and he is opening a case with Polaris to see what they will do for me about the tires. More than I expected but Scott at Sport Rider in Altoona, Wi. has really been a stand up guy and tries his best for his customers. Worth the 70 mile drive.

• In reference to the pictures of my front tires that I posted earlier, I had my front end laser aligned Friday and the dealer said my front end wasn't that far out and he is opening a case with Polaris to see what they will do for me about the tires. More than I expected but Scott at Sport Rider in Altoona, Wi. has really been a stand up guy and tries his best for his customers. Worth the 70 mile drive.

yup is 110 miles and change for me and I make the trip there, plus going there gives me an excuse to stop by the ellsworth creamery on the way back :)

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Well we got out for a ride around today. The new Nitto’s were slippery as owl poop until I got the mold release off of them. My old Nitto I guess had gone through so many heat cycles that it had become hard and slick.

I got my wife to try a video a spirited 2nd and 3rd pull. So this little clip is a 20 to 90 mph run. The back tire spun but not as bad a it did with the old one on.

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• Put a new Cooper Zeon RS3-S (305/35 R20) on Ruby today.

I've had good luck with Cooper's before, and the Zeons have had very good reviews in motorsports press, so decided to try this over Nitto's & others favored here.

My initial reaction is very favorable, they launch wonderfully, and have way more grip than the stock Kendas. I know that's not a high bar, but with one short speed run of just 25 miles or so, I'm quite pleased. Passing performance from 40-90 mph was excellent, no squealing, no loss if grip, felt very comfortable as I ran Ruby up to speed on our country roads.

Hope to make a highway run Friday (its bucketing down w/ tornado warnings here this afternoon). I'll let you know how the Cooper does in the fast lane later!

Here's a photo to compare old vs new.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• I just ordered a set of BF Goodrich g-force comp-2 A/S the two fronts came in today but the rear tire should be here tomorrow sadly I will have to wait for my tire man to get back from vacation to get them installed can't wait to try them out they look great.O these will be stock size for my 16 sle.

Just an update on tires I have been running the BF Goodrich g-force comp-2 A/S for about a month now including a 1 hr run in heavy rain and I am really impressed better bite on dry pavement and could run around 58 to 60 mph without hydroplaning though that was pushing the limit of the SlingShot with it being so light and the wide tires.Over all for the price and handling I highly recommend these tires they may not be the top contender but for the price they are great and anything is better than the original tires.

• ....what is, the best, super charger, tire out there?

That's a really subjective question.

In my case, I seek max traction and hopefully long life at lowest cost. That means I prefer the NItto 555 G2 which allows me to get a 315/35ZR17 tire (I put it on a 17x10.5 Mustang wheel and the smaller offset causes it to center about 1.5" to the left). Good performance at a relatively affordable price ($230 for the tire and around $100-150 for the wheel). So far, I've gotten over 11000 miles on my first one. I'm also trying an Achilles ATR Sport 2 305/30R18 tire on a Circuit Performance 18 x10.5 wheel and the smaller offset causes it to center to the left, too. Decent traction and the 305/30R18 tire is just over $100 from Amazon. The tire either has a soft sidewall and seems to wiggle or it's sensitive to low tire pressure and it was also a bear to get mounted. I first went to Pep Boys and they had a lot of trouble before finally giving up and refunding my money. Unfortunately, I also believe they ruined the bead of the tire based on watching them appear to use a giant screwdriver when trying to seat the tire and there was an imprint on the bed that looked like it came form a large screwdriver. A second shop got the tire to seat, but it wouldn't seal and when they removed the tire from the wheel we discovered the damaged bead. I ordered a second tire and the second shop had a difficult time mounting and getting it to hold air. If the tire lasts around 10000 miles, it should be a keeper at its low cost, if I can get used to its wiggly feel.

Edited once, last by BKL ().