Tires...what are you running?

• Lots of posts contemplating running studded tires but not much info about actually operating with street-legal studded tires............................
    Bill

I just remembered seeing post about studded tires. I thought a lot of states had prohibited studded tires and was surprised to find a link showing only 11 states prohibit them.
    StuddedTireChart.pdf

• I had studded on many cars when i was driving into Manhattan every day for over 30 years [About 100 miles round trip]....
    Put them on Nov 1st....And had to be off by law after April 15th....One caution on dry pavement they can and have turned into skates in panic stops....I would think on the S/S you would be asking for trouble..

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• Hi All, with the non existent 325 30 R20 Nitto tire that I want, what else is out there that comes close to it. I want a symmetrical tread with GRIP.

Drive so you can drive tomorrow, and remember that fun is always on the sunny side up.

• Not sure this one is comparable to Nitto but was considering it for mine:
    General GMAX RS Tires | Performance Truck Summer Tires | Discount Tire but
    went back to the Lexani brand that I used in previous SS: LX30 315-35-20.

This General G-Max RS will be the next tires that I will buy. The discontinued AS-03 was the best tire that I have run.

• New guy to this forum but I do have some experience with tires for bikes, track days and race cars. My first experience in the rain with the stock 265 /35×18 rear was that the polaris genius who made the deal for this Kenda product should be fired immediately. Front to rear weight distribution makes this impossible to solve for wet weather driving.....but we can improve on the the Kenda tire.

My solution was a Bridgestone Potenza. 980 AS

265/40×18. Much improved water siping in the wet. I also installed a rear fender to keep the rooster tail contained.

Not a perfect solution but Much improvement over the Kenda tire. Added bonus with the 40 profile is a little smoother ride over bumps and three times the rear tire milage over the Kenda. Going wider and lower profile is not always better.

• My first experience in the rain with the stock 265 /35×18 rear was that the polaris genius who made the deal for this Kenda product should be fired immediately. Front to rear weight distribution makes this impossible to solve for wet weather driving.....but we can improve on the the Kenda tire.

Welcome mikeneal ! I surely agree that the choice for the Kenda must have been based on price and availability and not performance! Also agree that wider and lower profile is not always better. Slingrazor went to an 18 inch (if memory serves, might have even been a 17") with more sidewall for better traction off the line. He is running supercharger also, and it hooks up very well. As for the statement on front to rear distribution, I'm not sure what you are meaning there. The SS is only 3 wheels, and they are actually within 20 pounds of downforce equally distributed when empty. I'm not sure how that could be improved upon, at least in my thinking. All three are cutting a fresh path in the water on the road, although the rear is more likely to have some oil residue from running in the center of the lane. Personally, in my 36,500 miles of riding (many times caught in rain) I've had more problem from the fronts losing contact in rain than the rear. With the trucks hauling, the tire paths in the road break down and get just a little lower than the center, meaning the rear is on high (wet) ground and the fronts (if enough rain) turn into shallow troughs to hold water. Get's dicey at best. Plus, I'm running stock SL rims, so 18 in the front but 20 in the rear. Very little sidewall give with that rubber band in the rear.

I think part of what makes the SS so much fun is also part of what makes it dicey in the rain. Weighing less than 1750, it's quick and sticks great on dry pavement in warmer weather. As it cools, or gets wet, that becomes a liability rather than an asset rather quickly.

• Just a lil reminder that there are "summer tires", winter tires", and the compromise between the two of "all-season" tires. The Kenda is a "summer" tire, translating to as it gets colder, especially below 50 degrees, they loose their traction ability.

And Goats_Hogs is correct, when we put the Grasshopper on the truck scales it was 1150 pounds on the front and 600 pounds on the rear, with a full tank of fuel.

Bill

• Finally replaced my stock front tires this last Saturday, so now I am running the Nitto Motivo's all around. Took my daily ride to work and back today and coming home I did some cruising at various speeds up to 80+ just to be sure everything was balanced properly and to see how the ride was. At this point I am very happy, the tires ride very smoothly and very very quietly. Of course time will be the real test, but the back tire which has almost 9000 on it and is still looking like it isnt even a 3rd of the way down gives me hope that these should last much much longer than the stock by a long shot

anyway just posting this for those who are considering the Motivo's

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Hi All, with the non existent 325 30 R20 Nitto tire that I want, what else is out there that comes close to it. I want a symmetrical tread with GRIP.

Sizewise, the Nitto 555 G2 315/30ZR20 is very close to the size specs of a 325/30R20 size you asked about and should give you a speed of 64.4 at an indicated 65 mph. A 315/35ZR20 should run around 67.3 mph at an indicated 65.

Here's a Google search for 325/30ZR20 tires showing prices ranging from just over $200/tire to several hundred/tire https://www.google.com/search?q=325%2F30ZR20. Unfortunately, like most Google tire searches for a specific size, you still get hits for some other sizes, so be sure to pay attention.:(