Tires...what are you running?

• I was coming back from the American in Lake George on my Wing. Followed gps and got lost on back country dirt roads. Wife was passed that I followed the gps. Since then wife always brings maps.

You should have called, LOL. I grew up about 12 miles south of Lake George. What a place to grow up in the summer. It was a wild place...

Psalm 28:4 "Give to them according to the evil of their deeds"

"Attitude determines airspeed, throttle determines touchdown point"

TheDonFather - Videos

• Lake George is a beautiful place. Been to 15/20 Americades in my riding days. I think it all started in '83.

Funny how most of us have years of riding on two wheels and came to the realization that needed to be changed if we were going to survive and now are riding on three wheels.

TheDonFather - Videos

• It doesn't seem to make a difference what rear tire I use. They all wear out sooner than the time to change the oil. It's so bad that the local tire store refuses to let me buy my tires under their buy 3 get one free policy. J/K

Gee, wonder how that happens.. LOL

TheDonFather - Videos

• I’m starting to look at wheels and tires, I’ve been running stock 2015 SL wheels for 4 years now. I plan to use the new set for summer only with performance summer tires and keep my current set for spring and fall in MN.

I can see why vendors have ready-made packages because it is tough finding wheels that work. I haven’t found a ready-made set I like (and the wife likes, and her opinion is important to the enjoyment of my our slingshot) and a couple questions came up as I’m looking around...

rear wheel size: I want a wider rear wheel but cant decide between a 10.5in wheel (305 tire) or go real wide with a 12in wheel (345 tire). Seems like a lot more tire options for a 10.5in wheel. Those of you that have either one or tried both, what’s your opinion? I’m more into performance than looks but definitely want to go wider than stock.

Front wheel clearance: most front wheels I’m finding come in either 8.5in or 9in with a +35 offset (common setup from the SS vendors), this looks like it will stick out 3/4in more than stock (per willtheyfit.com). Can you go with a higher offset to move the wheel further in and still clear the suspension and steering? This isn’t a big deal really, so it’s more curiosity than anything.

It takes a little effort but I've found quite a few options that match (rims) with a 8" front and 10.5" rear. Tires I would recommend (up here in WI and MN) are either Hankook, Continental, Bridgstone, or Sumitumo. We need tires with good rain sipes in them. Pretty good mileage from any of the brands I mentioned, and affordable. I could help with looking up options if you want, and we have a hub clamp tire changer that won't damage rims when mounting. We do quite a few tires for Slings, along with service work and custom builds.

Scott

2JZ Swap - 400+ WHP - Custom Hood - PRP Seats - Cerwin Vega Stereo - AccuAir - Foose Wheels - Hankook Tires - LiteTheNite LED's

• Hope this is not off topic. Rear tire is at 30lbs. Middle tread almost gone. Should I reduce air pressure to put more weight on outer edges to prolong tire life? Already ordered new tire so just curious.

Yep, I'm at 28 and know of others as low as 26. Just remember the shorter the side wall is the easier it is to damage a wheel if you go too low

• Ordered a Lexanitwenty 305/30 zr20 from simple tire June 2nd. Arrived today June 6th, pretty good service. Best price and free shipping. Looks huge when off of rim. 16k on current tire on right.

I'm running that same tire on my SS now. I've not gotten caught in hard rain yet (read as standing water), but have had it on wet roads. Overall, I like this tire better than anything I've had on either of the Slingshots I've owned. Sticks better under hard acceleration that any I've tried (including a Nitto 555 and others) and is much better in the corners. There are better tires out there, but they come with more than double the price tag and not a lot of gain in performance for the $$.

Results may vary, my opinion only. :)

• I'm running that same tire on my SS now. I've not gotten caught in hard rain yet (read as standing water), but have had it on wet roads. Overall, I like this tire better than anything I've had on either of the Slingshots I've owned. Sticks better under hard acceleration that any I've tried (including a Nitto 555 and others) and is much better in the corners. There are better tires out there, but they come with more than double the price tag and not a lot of gain in performance for the $$.

Results may vary, my opinion only. :)

Summer Breeze was in front of me yesterday running this very same tire when I spun out and was having trouble staying on the road. We were in a hard rain and he had no problem.

• Tire pressure is always relative to the tire brand, the width of the rim it is mounted on and the weight of the vehicle. The best thing you can do is watch for the tread wear for the first few thousand miles and adjust the air pressure as needed to get and even wear across the tread of the tire. I never had a tread depth gauge and just used my eye balls. Over the years there has been very few times that I have run as high as 32 psi.

• Goats_Hogs what air pressures are you running with the Lexani tires ?

I run 26-28 front, 26 rear. I've been down to 24 rear, still does very well. Most of these performance tires are really designed for the weight of a car, not the lighter weight of a Slingshot. The lighter weight calls for lighter air pressure to do the same job as the heavier weight of a car. I'd not try less than 23 on any corner of it, but also not higher than 27 for me anywhere. This does vary by tire, but IMHO, is a good starting point for any tire on the SS. In a perfect world, I'd pick 26 (cold) for all three. All three wheels have roughly the same down force weight. I've gotten pretty even tire wear keeping them at 26.