Tires...what are you running?

• I’m running a Toyo Proxes III on the rear of my SLR. I went from the stock 305/30/20 to a 295/40/20. Only have about 200 miles on it so far, so no real way to rate it yet

How do you find the higher sidewall from 30 to 40 on the rear? I know its been only 200 miles but any noticeable changes? I imagine the higher sidewall provides a slightly more comfortable ride.

• Just for grins and giggles, we rode the Grasshopper over to Discount Tire, (30 miles), and had a chat with a representative about finding a quieter tire with at least the same traction as the BF Goodrich Comp 2 AS. We must have discussed the various tire options for nearly a half an hour or so but even though the front tires only have 10,000 miles on them and still look nearly new, we decided to replace them with Yokohama-yk740-gtx tires, (we thought we would wait a while before replacing the rear tire.) On the return trip home, by both Interstate and back roads, yes, the Yokohama's were noticeably quieter than the Comp 2's, but admittedly not quite as much as I was hoping. But it did prove that different tires can make a difference where noise is concerned. However, the absolute biggest surprise was with the difference in ride, which is no less than amazing. Before the Grasshopper had definitely what could be described as a "choppy" ride. With the Yokohama's that "choppy" ride was transformed into smooth and much, much more comfortable. The difference was so dramatic that the first thing I did when arriving home was to check tire pressures to assure the front tires were not underinflated. So, the outcome so far is that the Yokohama's are noticeably quieter and give us a much improved ride, we'll get back and report how they perform on wet roads at cooler temperatures when we get that opportunity!

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/yokohama-yk740-gtx

Bill

• Just for grins and giggles, we rode the Grasshopper over to Discount Tire, (30 miles), and had a chat with a representative about finding a quieter tire with at least the same traction as the BF Goodrich Comp 2 AS. We must have discussed the various tire options for nearly a half an hour or so but even though the front tires only have 10,000 miles on them and still look nearly new, we decided to replace them with Yokohama-yk740-gtx tires, (we thought we would wait a while before replacing the rear tire.) On the return trip home, by both Interstate and back roads, yes, the Yokohama's were noticeably quieter than the Comp 2's, but admittedly not quite as much as I was hoping. But it did prove that different tires can make a difference where noise is concerned. However, the absolute biggest surprise was with the difference in ride, which is no less than amazing. Before the Grasshopper had definitely what could be described as a "choppy" ride. With the Yokohama's that "choppy" ride was transformed into smooth and much, much more comfortable. The difference was so dramatic that the first thing I did when arriving home was to check tire pressures to assure the front tires were not underinflated. So, the outcome so far is that the Yokohama's are noticeably quieter and give us a much improved ride, we'll get back and report how they perform on wet roads at cooler temperatures when we get that opportunity!

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/yokohama-yk740-gtx

Bill

Very interested to hear what you think once you've driven them in cooler weather (below 50F)!

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Just to confirm what we discovered yesterday I did a lil round robin this morning over some of the rougher local roads and these Yokohama-YK740-GTX tires

most definitely have improved our riding comfort. Now I can hardly wait for the rains to start to check them out on wet roads! There is an issue, however, of now choosing a rear tire when the time comes because,unfortunately, Yokohama does not manufacture this tire in 255/35-R20.

Bill

• Just to confirm what we discovered yesterday I did a lil round robin this morning over some of the rougher local roads and these Yokohama-YK740-GTX tires

most definitely have improved our riding comfort. Now I can hardly wait for the rains to start to check them out on wet roads! There is an issue, however, of now choosing a rear tire when the time comes because,unfortunately, Yokohama does not manufacture this tire in 255/35-R20.

Bill

no rule that says the back has to be the same as the front - I was running NITTO Motivos front and back and although I really like them in the front the back just didnt have the traction I wanted so when it was done I switched to the NITTO 555G2 in the back - not only does it have better traction, but I also prefer the look of a symmetrical tire on the back - - I figure the front Motivo's will out last 3 or more back tires

Perhaps you can find a different Yokohama that you can use on the back

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Would a 315/30/20 work on the rear of a SLR or R? Also how wide can I go on the fronts? 245

I want the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 A/S. Front 245/45/18, Rear 315/30/20. I don’t deal with much rain but often find myself below 50 degrees in the California high desert. Will the nannies bit me? Or will I rub in the front?

• When trying to figure out how large a tire you can fit, first check the tire manufacturer's website to see what wheel sizes they recommend for a given tire size. http://www.willtheyfit.com will allow you to visualize different tire/wheel combos and allows for different wheel, offset and tire sizes, but the WillTheyFit speedometer estimator is inaccurate and I prefer https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator for a more accurate estimate of the impact on the speedometer compared to stock.

• Very interested to hear what you think once you've driven them in cooler weather (below 50F)!

To report as promised, we have found the Yokohama-yk740-gtx tires assuredly grip the road when riding during our cooler wet weather. So with lower noise, softer ride, excellent wet/dry traction, we can confidently recommend the Yokohama-yk740-gtx as a stock replacement touring tire on the front. Unfortunately, for the rear, Yokohama does not manufacture the yk740-gtx in a 255/35-R20, where the closest appears to be a 245/40-R20?

https://www.discounttiredirect…-tires/yokohama-yk740-gtx

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Bill

• To report as promised, we have found the Yokohama-yk740-gtx tires assuredly grip the road when riding during our cooler wet weather. So with lower noise, softer ride, excellent wet/dry traction, we can confidently recommend the Yokohama-yk740-gtx as a stock replacement touring tire on the front. Unfortunately, for the rear, Yokohama does not manufacture the yk740-gtx in a 255/35-R20, where the closest appears to be a 245/40-R20?

Bill

As per the highlighted above, I am assuming that it would not create any issues with the SlingShot to install the 245/40R20 tire on the rear?

Thanks for the assistance.

Bill

• As per the highlighted above, I am assuming that it would not create any issues with the SlingShot to install the 245/40R20 tire on the rear?

Thanks for the assistance.

Bill

244 / 40 20 would be about 1/5 inch skinnier and around .7 inch taller I wouldn't that would be even close to enough difference to cause any problems with the nanny's and the speedometer runs of the front so you speed should still shoe correctly

as a side note I dont see any reason why your rear tire has to match the fronts - I run all season Nitto Motivos on the front and a Nitto 555GT summer tire on the rear - - I like the looks of the summer tire's symmetrical tread in the rear but I want the better cold weather traction and longer tread life provided by Motivo's on the front - - - if cold weather on some of my morning rides is going to reduce the traction of any of my tires I prefer it to be the back that kicks out not the front

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies