Military Basic Training is tough! - UPDATE

• I know many of you have served or are serving in the military - thank you! My grandson is starting his 2nd week of Air Force Basic Training in San Antonio. I knew about the tear down/build up process, but I hadn't thought about all the lifestyle changes and restrictions. I'd be lost without my cell phone! My daughter got her first two letters today which was a blessing - I think.

If any of you would care to write him with some words of support, that would be great and much appreciated. His mom (my daughter), girlfriend and I probably don't have the right words for him.

AB Haman, Kyle J.
    321 TRS/FLT 664 Dorm 4A2
    1320 Truemper St Unit 364052
    Lackland AFB TX 78236-6431

Giving his friend a ride At his swearing in with 'I've been crying' mom

Thank you!

• I went thru Army Basic Training at Ft. Jackson, SC back in the Summer of 1972. I pretty much hated every minute as it was happening, but at the end of each day I realized what I had done each day. It would definitely kill me if I had to go thru it again now at almost 65!
    My Wife went thru AF Basic Training at San Antonio later that year and early 1973.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Anita, I'm currently in San Antonio. Unfortunately my wife attended pretend basic training at Lackland years ago and is now retired. She was the smart one and I went through the ARMY's basic training lol We joke all the time about AF vs ARMY. If there's anything we can do to make life a bit easier for him while in SA please let me know. We will try to get a letter in the mail to him in the coming days.

• If any of you would care to write him with some words of support, that would be great and much appreciated. His mom (my daughter), girlfriend and I probably don't have the right words for him.

Anita, I'll send him something in the near future. And I'll be sure to cover the envelope with things like "Go Navy, Beat Air Force!" and "Air Force Drill Instructors are pussies," stuff like that, to be sure he gets a chance to develop an extra-strong sense of character under adverse conditions. :00007510:

Also, please tell his mom "thank you" for supporting him and allowing him the opportunity to serve.

• Thank you all! @KayTwo, I get the feeling he is getting the hang of the 'Yes, Sir' character building. Wrote his mom he gets yelled at a lot - something he's not used to and probably why it seems like a lot. He's a great kid, but he has his dad's (who is thankfully now my ex-son-in-law) lack of motivation - this is going to be so good for him.

• @adventure4me

Received a nice reply from Kyle. Currently in the middle of writing him another letter. With all of our modern means of communication (cell phones, text messaging, email, etc.) it is unusual to write an old fashioned snail mail letter anymore. It's been a while so I'm enjoying writing your grandson - it's a nice way to pay you back for all you did for Crystal... ;):love:

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• @Tripod you just made my day! Thank you so very much. Since I'm not where I can get mail, it really was good to see his words! Feel very special - getting him to write thank you notes for his graduation gifts was a nightmare! :rolleyes: Maybe he's growing up! Sent it to my daughter - she said that was very nice of you and at least Kyle didn't swear in his letter to you! He doesn't as a rule (at least around me), but his first letter to his mom was a bit colorful apparently. A big hug for you!

• I'm terrible about writing letters, so hopefully someone will relay this advice on.
    I volunteered for anything every chance i got in basic Training. It go to the point that the Drill Sergeants would ask for volunteers and end with the statement, "Not you, Lewis!" Whatever I ended up doing was always easier than whatever training the unit was doing. I only spent one half of one night in the field during bivouac because I got sent back to prep the barracks for a special inspection (seemed I was pretty good with a floor buffer). At the end of Basic, when the Company was practicing Drill and Ceremony, I was out using a two-man saw to cut telephone poles and build paths at a range. I know I didn't do any push-ups that day while the rest of the Company was doing push-ups anytime anyone made a mistake marching or holding their M16!

• Will put a letter in the mail in the morning Anita. I wrote a page and Corinne did too.
    She had to make note that in 19 years she's never seen me write a letter. Probably because I wrote a thousand while I was in the military. Not much choice back then. It was expensive to call on the phone if you had access to one.

• @Travis and Corinne, Thank you! I know this hand writing a letter is different! The note Tripod got is the first I've seen of Kyle's handwriting in quite sometime! I have saved handwritten letters, particularly from my grandmother. Harry Truman wrote a letter to Bess every year on their wedding anniversary - how I wish we had done that!

@BKL, my husband was in the Coast Guard and apparently switched places with someone for swim lessons. After we were married, I took lessons along with him so we could take scuba lessons! Guess there are some ways to get around things in the military!

• A big thank you for all the comments and especially to those of you who took time to write! He never did tell me who all he heard from, but @KayTwo gets the award for getting him in trouble! Actually, all is well and there were laughs - thank goodness. So the big weekend is over, his mama can rest a little easier. I expected to hear a lot of grumbling about how bad it was, but it was just the opposite - the humor outweighed the bad and that was related with humor. Nothing like being in the company of dedicated young men and women. There were 713 graduates. All 47 of his flight graduated which is rare and they were the top academic flight. Again, thank you!

• A big thank you for all the comments and especially to those of you who took time to write! He never did tell me who all he heard from, but @KayTwo gets the award for getting him in trouble! Actually, all is well and there were laughs - thank goodness. So the big weekend is over, his mama can rest a little easier. I expected to hear a lot of grumbling about how bad it was, but it was just the opposite - the humor outweighed the bad and that was related with humor. Nothing like being in the company of dedicated young men and women. There were 713 graduates. All 47 of his flight graduated which is rare and they were the top academic flight. Again, thank you!

Anita, glad to hear it, and congratulations to the whole family!

Now, I have a bone to pick with you. I thought the graduation was next weekend and that was why we would miss you in Clarksville. Today is Monday. You have three and a half days to make it to dinner with us on Friday in Clarksville. Best get rolling. :P

Miss you! <3

• Well, I almost did, but I have to be in New Orleans the 1st. If I just wasn't so busy! Lol. Really sorry to be missing all of you. :(

The 1st is a Sunday. Nothing in New Orleans is open on a Sunday, at least nothing you should be going to, young lady. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that place doesn't recover from Saturday night until about Tuesday. You've got all kinds of time. Small detour.

• Congrats to both you & your grandson Anita!!!!
    Looks like a fine boy indeed!!!!!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi