cornering - Slingshot vs 4

• To the people here who own and drive both a sports car and your slingshot I would like to know which car you have and if it or your slingshot corners better?

Back in the early 70's my first car was a 1964 Porsche 356C. I used to love the way that car cornered on twisty mountain roads. Driving my SL around town it feels like I am driving a go-kart, but unfortunately I havent had a real chance to get it out on a good mountain road to really test it yet so I figured I would ask those here who have.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I have more fun with my Slingshot than I do my Lotus Evora.
    But slingshot is turbo and Evora is N/A.
    The slingshot is 5" wider outside of tire to outside of tire than my Evora. The SS is 6' 7 "
    And with Alpha 2 way suspension and upgrade brakes and rotors .
    The slingshot corners as good as my Evora.
    The slingshot I probably push harder into corners for it is 1500 lbs lighter than Evora .
    So I would say unless you have a all out race car the slingshot in corners should do very well.
    If you are starting from stand start the slingshot has no traction compared to 4 wheel .

• i have had some pretty fast rides. And they all handled well. Mostly AMG Mercedes models. And for some reason the Slingshot can stick better than any of them. I wish someone could do some type of engineering study on how the triangle wedge shape was helping the Slingshot to actually get a "bite" in the corners. It has to be doing some kind of wedging to keep its grip.

• i have had some pretty fast rides. And they all handled well. Mostly AMG Mercedes models. And for some reason the Slingshot can stick better than any of them. I wish someone could do some type of engineering study on how the triangle wedge shape was helping the Slingshot to actually get a "bite" in the corners. It has to be doing some kind of wedging to keep its grip.

Yes, I to would love to see some study so I could really understand the dynamics. :)

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• When you really think about it .the weight savings on rear suspension, the widest of any front suspension made out there, The low center of gravity
    and if you have better than stock tires in width and compound,better suspension and brakes it is close to race ready for cornering.

The only downside is slingshot will never hold its on in rain but winner for most hydroplaning and slowest vehicle driving in rain.

And not cheap when you put all the extras into it.. I know I am at over 40k. And worth what 22 to 25k maybe at that.LOL

But fun to drive and have everybody coming over to talk about and take lots of pictures where ever I park it.

Took it to show last Friday with guys with Camaro's / Mustangs and had the biggest crowd around my SS asking more questions ..LOL

• Im a sports car guy. Today the SlingShot handles as good and in someways far better than anything I have driven. You have to be careful because it's a totally different driving experience that may amplify the experience over a closed cockpit vehicle. I live just south of some of the best riding roads in the deep South. The things I'll through the SS into I would have been a little less likely in other cars.
    When I first got mine I took it the the vintage races at the Mitty (road Atlanta). Grass Roots Motorsports was having a skid pad challenge. There were about 98 vehicles that ran the pad. Stock to highly modified. With the stock suspension and Kenda tires we pulled a 1.1g if memory serves me. We ended up 16th overall. The car magazine never noted it at all... :thumbdown:

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Im a sports car guy. Today the SlingShot handles as good and in someways far better than anything I have driven. You have to be careful because it's a totally different driving experience that may amplify the experience over a closed cockpit vehicle. I live just south of some of the best riding roads in the deep South. The things I'll through the SS into I would have been a little less likely in other cars.
    When I first got mine I took it the the vintage races at the Mitty (road Atlanta). Grass Roots Motorsports was having a skid pad challenge. There were about 98 vehicles that ran the pad. Stock to highly modified. With the stock suspension and Kenda tires we pulled a 1.1g if memory serves me. We ended up 16th overall. The car magazine never noted it at all... :thumbdown:

Dislike that last part. I couldn't find the button for that.

RNJ12

• If I had the $$, I'd consider a 4-wheel conversion for my Slingshot, but only if I could keep the safety systems. Henry from Alpha posted about driving the the standard Slingshot 3-wheel configuration vs the 4-wheel setup and said the 4-wheel setup definitely sticks better on curves, allowing higher speeds. IIRC, he was referring to track use.
    As far as regular roads at reasonable speeds, I'm extremely happy with how well the Slingshot handles. I managed to spin out on a 15 mph right-angle curve, but I was doing between 30-40 mph and I think I simply mis-estimated the turn. <X Fortunately, my direction of travel meant there was a grassy spot where I spun out. Had I been going the other way, I would have ended up in a ditch and probably would have broken something on the Slingshot. I learned my lesson and now keep my speed closer to 25- 30 on that curve!

• Back when we lived in Virginia and I was still riding 2 wheels, I was on a forest road approaching what I thought was a simple turn, only to find it was a switchback. Fortunately, I was able to slow enough to successfully navigate the turn, but I had a very tense few seconds.

• The Slingshot does as well or even better than a Vette

I'll take that challenge ........

Before you decide yes it has the track package, Magnetic Selective Ride Control, Electronic rear with its own ECU, and when warm if you press your finger on those Pilot Sport Cup II tires you can read your fingerprint ...... devil-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• I don't think the cost is all that high considering, most performance vehicles start at 40K and you go up from there. You spent 40K and have it your way. I was going to add some derogatory comment about money and marriage but I still need a few mods.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I would like to start by stating that I am not a very skilled "Fast" driver.

My toys are a 911 Turbo,Ducati 1198R and the Slingshot, maybe is due to it being the newest in the stable but i can't even come close to the other 2 with the slingshot, I have a very winding road that I always take and I am always running maverick(app) recording my trips, not because i am trying to break records or anything but just my normal "cruise" and the slingshot is by far the slowest by like 35% with the difference between the bike and the car being 5-10%(bike takes the top).

For some reason I always feel that if I push the SS more it will tip over especially on hard right handers, I know it is just a mental thing since I have seen what some of you have done without flipping it(cameron Roberts chasing that 1000RR on the dragon comes to mind), it could also be that my SS has been modified for comfort rather than speed so it is not as stable as you guys.

So i guess I have to say for my level of skill the 4 wheel or two are faster than the slingshot.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Is your SS stock suspension and brakes and non turbo???
    And will tell you that I am 66 now and I can see the last 5 years I do not push like I did ?
    But have taken few people for rides and I thought they can handle the corners .
    And was kind of taken by surprise they told me to stop.
    But I know when I drove the Hurricanes and BMWRT's Not many stayed with me in corners.
    But that was then and today I think more going into a corner is there oil,stones ,(fell 3 yrs ago in Needles SD
    hairpin turn and gravel the reason I own SS ,wife was on and bike fell on her and saved the bike..I am not laughing ).
    But few years and can not believe I have little more sense.

And the reason I mention cost is that a lot of people ask and I tell them and they say you could have had this or that.
    But I like weird ! My wife is pissed because I am going to buy Vanderhall .Do not know why but I want one.
    But if you ride to prove our skills we all have stories and we all get older and if you drive a wife and she has put up with a lot of
    fast corners but know she wants to see Her Grandkids not mine so I do have to slow it down some..

• I have the JRI GT suspension, stock brakes with Hawk Pads,stock tires and non boosted, as i said before the Sling was purchased to be a "cruiser/touring bike" I never expected that it would be this fun to drive to the point that i rarely drive anything else on sunny days but when push comes to shove compared to my other vehicles it doesn't feel as "secure" when "pushing" it on twisties.

I admit that it could be that I am used to having a better vehicle help me overcome my lack of skills.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

Edited once, last by Neosolidus ().

• Mine was a 77 Vette, nothing high tech about it vs the modified Sling.

If someone will send me an AMG Mercedes, I'll be glad to start a study :)

Alpha Supercharger is still spinning fine... it gets rode hard, every time.

• The SS is just so different from any "sports car" or bike that I have owned. Even with those slippery stock Kenda's on its amazing how hard it can pushed in corners without sending it into the trees.

I don't personally own the car below but can take it out for a spin anytime I want which makes it the best type of sports car ever - all of the fun without any of the responsibilities of ownership. While it's an absolute blast to drive it comes with a relatively high "cost to driver error ratio" therefore I have not come close to actually finding its limits - which is how the large majority of owners drive their prized sports car possessions most of the time and no, I don't consider occasionally lighting up the tires or engaging launch control at stop lights from time to time pushing a car. Sure, a current model V8 powered Camaro or Mustang or Corvette can perform but for me these cars, while very affordable, still do not provide the same type of fun the SS provides at it's cost of entry. And yes, the car below get's just as many photo's and video's taken of it as my SS ever has.

That black AMG in the background is a lot of fun too. Again in a very different way. Call it, high speed that you cannot feel or even realize you are obtaining.