Getting in and out: How do you do it?

• The first time I drove a Slingshot, I had to figure out how to go about getting into and out of it. The salesman didn't really offer any advice in this area. Later, when I let my friend drive my SLR, he got in ok, but he stopped and asked about the best way to get out. Since I bought my SLR, I've pretty much perfected the method I use for vehicle ingress and egress, but today it occurred to me that maybe not everyone does it the same way.

For me, getting into a Slingshot is pretty straight-forward. It's easy because you have gravity helping you. I put my right foot into the driver's foot well, lean and reach through putting my right hand on the e-brake handle and my left on the steering wheel. I twist and plop butt-first into the seat (left foot still outside the vehicle), and then swing my left foot in, and..... boom... done.

Getting out takes a bit of thought. I do it by basically reversing the method of getting in. I put my left foot out onto the ground, and then use the steering wheel to pull myself into a standing position with my right foot still in the foot well. Once standing, I simply bring my right foot out and voila, I'm out.

Do you guys do it the same way?

• Hmmmm...... I'm thinking about getting a flat-bottom wheel, but just because I like the look. I never even considered that it would help egress, but it makes sense now that you mention it.

(Typing "flat-bottom wheel" was enough to get old Queen lyrics stuck in my head..... aaarrrrggghhh!)

Are you gonna bang my knee tonight?
    Oh down inside, that cockpit's tight.
    Are you gonna let me climb up out?
    Flat-bottom wheel,
    You make the slingin' world go round.

• I had put a new NRG flat bottom wheel in my 15 and got to use it for 3 weeks before I traded for the SLR. Really loved the NRG and want another but I hate to pull off the new Sparco wheel and replace it so soon. May have to though. I could probably sell it easily.

• I had put a new NRG flat bottom wheel in my 15 and got to use it for 3 weeks before I traded for the SLR. Really loved the NRG and want another but I hate to pull off the new Sparco wheel and replace it so soon. May have to though. I could probably sell it easily.

That's what I've been thinking: get a new flat-bottom and sell the current Sparco.

• I have the Assault Industries flat bottom wheel. It's at least 1" smaller than stock. It was awkward at first, and where I usually put my knee up to steer if my hand was off the wheel, now headed me off to the right very quickly! But now, I'd be lost without that wheel. I love it. Gives way more room for legs going in and out of the SS. I use the steering wheel (mostly for steadying, not for pulling) and push off the hand brake. I usually just push straight up, get my butt against the headrest, and step out. Sometimes I'll put my left leg out first or pull it in last, but rarely.

When I first saw the title of this post, I had a different answer. I was going to say.... Shower and shave.... take her out to a nice dinner, and perhaps drinks after. Try not to say anything dumb. Pay no attention to any other woman, no matter how nice the other woman looks. Woo her if you can, but if you aren't capable of that, don't attempt it. Any failures mentioned above with reduce your chances of getting in and getting out....

• This is how I do it too. But other older and fatter SS riders I know also take the additional step of raising the steeringwheel all the way up first.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• I have the NRG flat bottom wheel also. Looks good and helps slide my right knee out or in. Not a ton of flexibility in my right knee from 5 surgeries. The extra couple of inches makes a big difference!!! Heard my wife complain about that a few times, but not on the Slingshot. What is a guy to do?

Sent from my iPod touch using Polaris Slingshot Info

• I was informed by the sales person when purchasing Wraith to not use the side wing or steering wheel to aid in entrance or exit of the vehicle. When getting in I just put my right foot in and then squat down to the seat sometimes using the center console if I get off balance. When leaving the vehicle I swing my left leg out of the vehicle and just stand straight up. I've not had any issues with panel alignment/cracking or any steering wheel related issues - e.g., clock spring issues or clicking.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• I started out using the steering wheel until the first time it popped the adjuster lock. Fortunately it didn't break. Since then I put my right hand on back of the seat and push off. I still hold the wheel for balance, but don't put any weight on it.