Tires-Nitto/Toyo ?

• About time to replace all of my tires. Tried to find a comparison of the following (forum) but only saw some info on Nitto.
    Would appreciate any info those who have run either tire could provide.
    1. Nitto 555 G2
    2. Toyo T1R
    I am looking for the best wet/dry traction available (like everyone else). Riding mostly in mountains, back roads, and some interstates.
    Thanks ^^

• I can't do a comparison between the Nitto & the Toyo, but I'm quite happy with my G2 compared to the stock Kenda. I went with a 255/35ZR20, but I may go up a notch on width the next go round. I don't hear the road "Slap" noises as much when going over pavement gaps and bumps like I did with the Kenda, and the grip is way better. Haven't had to ride in the rain with the Nitto (yet), but I have to believe it's far superior with wet conditions than the Kenda as well.

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• Personally, I would say the G2 is a better all around tire for what you listed.

BUT, the Toyo does come in a lot of bigger sizes that the G2 doesn't have.

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• I have no experience with the Nittos but I've heard nothing but good things about them. I did run the Toyo Proxes on my Spyder and they were good on wear, grip and handling.
    I run BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2 on the Sling and have been pleased with the improvement. Choose the Summer tire over the All Season as the stats for both wet and dry grip tend to be better. If you consider other tire brands, here's a good comparison list.
    surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHP

• Anyone running a Toyo R888 full time on rear? Have seen a few photos on forum but just curious how they do in wet?

They are terrible in cold and wet conditions. You could run them, but you would have to be super careful.

I ordered a new set for my track tire/wheel setup and will drive carefully to the events if it is cold or wet.

I have seen two crashed Slingshots with them installed. Maybe the tires and conditions had something to do with that....

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• I have the Nitto 555 on the front of my sling and they are great.

I have the toyo TR1 345/25/20 on the rear. Great in warm dry weather, not as good in cold.

I have driven in rain a few times and so far so good, but I slow way down

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• I really like my nitto 555G2. . But Toyo is the parent company of nitto(tires are very similar)

run the Nitto 555 G2'S and love them. Like @Fla tom says Nitto is a brand of Toyo marketed to the US consumer. Best part is that they are also made here in GA. White GA to be precise. So you would also be helping employ US workers.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• I am going to put another name on the list General G-Max AS-03

I'm with FunCycle on this. We both love to carve the twisty roads at speed. I got 9700 miles on my Kenda (never had the traction control off until 9000) and put on my General G-Max AS-03. Better in rain by far. Better on dry. Ride is great, sticking is much better than the Kenda. I now have (OK, disclaimer, I'm lacking 50 miles) 21,000 on my SS with this tire. I've been much harder on it, and still have tread enough that I think it will easily make this season. It has a "Treadwear replacement" in the tread from new. When worn out, that becomes "Replace" in red letters. The only thing I don't like is the bawl. The original Kenda just kinda scratched, but didn't make any real noise when it spun. The General makes a statement, unfortunately because the wonderful LEO's also can notice this. So far I've been OK.

• The Nitto's are doing great for me. The first real test the other weekend showed the tires, swaybar upgrade and the QA1 coil replacement all contributed to a more sure footed and planted SS.

Some inexpensive things can be done to change the characteristics dramatically.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• They are terrible in cold and wet conditions. You could run them, but you would have to be super careful.
    I ordered a new set for my track tire/wheel setup and will drive carefully to the events if it is cold or wet.

I have seen two crashed Slingshots with them installed. Maybe the tires and conditions had something to do with that....

I concur with @TravAZ on the R888. It sucks in wet weather. I lost control at 40mph in a rain storm and couldn't get it back. I was trying to decide which side of the bridge I wanted to hit when I got it back under me. Since then, I stop in the rain.

Was considering a second rear tire/wheel for road trips and was thinking about going with the G2.