Something broke either drive shaft or rear wheel? anyone else have this problem

• hi everyone, i recently had new engine and supercharger and clutch and all the other goodies put in my slingshot from DDM about a month ago.
    it was running fine except for a startup issue when cold it would stall and have to restart, and sometimes a sputter around 5-6,000 rpm while shifting 2-3 or 3-4 lag..
    the startup issue seem to clear up..
    but was out the other night and while just shifting from neutral to 1st there was a clank noise thought maybe just released clutch to soon. anyways tonight in narragansett ri
    driving down the street heard another noise and then all of a sudden started to get a wobble sensation in the rear wheel and vibration right where i rest my elbow in slingshot for shifting.
    tried shuttting engine off and it was still there.. had to have it towed on flatbed (nightmare lol. 4.5 inches off the ground...
    now have to bring to moms in foxboro in morning anyone else having similiar problems?. ran fine before mods but wondering is there a week link?.

There is a CV joint between the transmission and drive-shaft then a universal between the drive-shaft and angle drive ..... would look at those first ...

Kinda surprised the mega HP crowd has not trashed a CV yet .... you might be the first ... shy-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• yah i pulled on them last night, not that old lmao.. but seriously they seem tight. and the sound was coming from the transmission column you can hear it. right smack in the middle of the slingshot, and a little whining in the rear wheel.. almost as if emergency brake was catching..

i had DDM install the big brakes all away around so not sure, also had them put in welter's performance jeffs new exhaust 2.5" underneath that needs a new transmission mounts? new engine with all performance parts, new oil cooler, radiator, 10psi boost supercharger with racing clutch, going to get towed to polaris slingshot dealer today and will have to go from there. hopefully it is a CV joint or universal? if it is is there a aftermarket?. because this was suppose to be bulletproof. i only have around 400 at crank and 315 i think at rwhp.
    i remember my 2000 plymouth prowler all custom 3.5 bored out to a 4.0 kenne bell supercharger, water-injection with methanol, racing transmisson, engine completely redone and all racing performance parts this was bullet proof with suspension, brakes etc.. on and on. and on the dyno (625hp at flywheel) we tore the stock driveshaft in half.. literally.. lol
    so had to put a custom driveshaft in.. never had a problem after that

is the driveshaft CV or universal a big fix? and or warranty?

• I certainly hope you get warranty coverage. But if the issue is drivetrain related, and if the dealer knows about the power output you have, I doubt they will look after you under warranty!! Good luck though.

• i had DDM install the big brakes all away around so not sure, also had them put in welter's performance jeffs new exhaust 2.5" underneath that needs a new transmission mounts?

Had those tidbits of information been included in the original post I would have offered different advise ....... speechless-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• yah sorry about that. so it is getting towed this morning. and i guess we shall see. but i know for hp there are guys with way more than me. they have cams and new computer. so this is fun hp.. not crazy hp.
    orangeman, is there a concern with the new transmission mount for the exhaust you think?. having something to do with it?

• yah sorry about that. so it is getting towed this morning. and i guess we shall see. but i know for hp there are guys with way more than me. they have cams and new computer. so this is fun hp.. not crazy hp.
    orangeman, is there a concern with the new transmission mount for the exhaust you think?. having something to do with it?

It will be interesting to see what is diagnosed.

I have the Welter rear exhaust and changed out the transmission mount myself. My impression is that the Welter transmission mount is heavy duty, stronger than stock.

During the install, you do have to jack up the transmission about 1" to get clearance / access to some of the bolts.

I would be very suprised if it is the transmission mounting bracket.

Keep us posted.

Here is a picture of the new mount installed.

• I certainly hope you get warranty coverage. But if the issue is drivetrain related, and if the dealer knows about the power output you have, I doubt they will look after you under warranty!! Good luck though.

Would it not be up to the dealer to prove it was the added HP that caused the issue, and not just a simple Mechanical failure?

(Yes, yes, the added HP and the added strain, blah, blah, blah)

But you could also say, I added the extra HP and such, just for safety while passing vehicles and not to shred tires and paint highways.

Burden of proof is on them.

• yah well thank god for the magnuson act. which protects for those kinds of upgrades.. unless they can prove beyond a shadow of doubt that it was because of that if not they have to cover it.

well we got it off flatbed and at dealership. and the slingshot guy as he drove it around the back. i noticed the rear brake is making noise, don't know whether the brake or the emergency brake itself (aftermarket DDM big brake kit). but something is rubbing. and also seems like some noise in the swingarm but it was replaced in the recall in maryland when it was down at DDM's. the noise in the center of slingshot is going to have to wait till tuesday. but he was like you can hear it.

yikes.

• does anyone make a stronger aftermarket driveshaft? maybe carbon fiber?

IMO, the stock drive shaft is more than strong enough to handle all but the most extreme setups, even then I would think it would not break. The whole power train is short compared to most other vehicles.

Why buy one when you can have two at twice the price..... :evil:

• You should replace that driveshaft anyway. It's a fairly inexpensive piece of mind especially when you are talking about something revolvimg at thousands of rpm right next to your butt.

you bring up a very good and often overlooked point @Tango..... :huh:
    Maybe a simple lightweight shield is needed for you big HP guys and gals.

Need to crawl underneath there again.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• you bring up a very good and often overlooked point @Tango..... :huh: Maybe a simple lightweight shield is needed for you big HP guys and gals.

Need to crawl underneath there again.

Could just add some hoops like done on many race cars.
    But I don't think we have seen a driveshaft or cv joint fail yet - not that I know of anyway

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• We consodered hoops and/or cage. Ultimately we went with a really good driveshaft.

None have failed but the TQ seems to be going up and up. I'm not sure what the stock shaft is rated for, but I am guessing some may be going beyond it with these forged engines.