Tire size for the stock SL wheel

• I was looking at tires last night for the rear of my SL with the stock 20 inch rim. I was looking to see just how large a tire you could put on the 9 inch wide rim. From my internet search and talking to a tire dealer it looks to be the 275/35-20 is the max. The 285/35-20 needs at least a 9 1/2 inch rim width and the tire dealer did not advise the mounting of the 285 on to a 9 inch rim width. For those that do not know the stock sizes on the SL are Front--- 18x7.5 The Rear is 20x9

• I was looking at tires last night for the rear of my SL with the stock 20 inch rim. I was looking to see just how large a tire you could put on the 9 inch wide rim. From my internet search and talking to a tire dealer it looks to be the 275/35-20 is the max. The 285/35-20 needs at least a 9 1/2 inch rim width and the tire dealer did not advise the mounting of the 285 on to a 9 inch rim width. For those that do not know the stock sizes on the SL are Front--- 18x7.5 The Rear is 20x9

I am running a 285-30-30 on the stock rear wheel. While the manufacturer states that it should be on a 9 1/2 wide wheel, I had no problems having it mounted on the the stock 9" wheel and it actually looks like it belongs there. Here's a picture of that tire along side of the stock 265-35-20 before I mounted it

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE