Interesting!!!

• This type of behavior just pisses the hell out of me, as a fellow ducati rider I have had more than a few instances where I have been threaten to "move or else".
    A few years ago my GF and I went to sturgis and had my tires slashed, bike was kicked and beat to the point that it was considered totalled for no reason other than parking in front of a bar and taking someone's spot(public street btw) this experience traumatized Brie and ruined ruined group gatherings for her and even though I tell her that the slingshot community seems nice,mellow and easy going she refuses to participate or go out on rides with anyone outside of "our" group of friends.

It shouldn't matter what anyone rides as long as you do it in a respectful manner without putting others at risk, the elitism that the harley community has is just a cancer for the motorcycle community.

@Bill Martin put it well in the post above. I too am sorry that happened to you and your GF, and feel that it never should have happened in any way shape or form. I've ridden Harleys (as does my wife) for nearly 30 years. I really don't care what anyone rides, more how their attitude is. An asshole is an asshole, be it the guys that bashed your bike or the sport bike rider that is standing on the back wheel running thru traffic.

My point being, I was with you on everything up until the last half of that last sentence. To be honest, that was just about as bad as what you were bashing what happened to you. You just threw all Harley riders under the bus in one category, for the action of a few. I was out in the SS over the weekend for a family reunion in KY. About 1/3 of the Harley riders I met gave me the low wave, and not with one finger either. You talk of that being a cancer for the motorcycle community, I agree there are some that are like that. But so are the ones on sport bikes that are riding wheelies down the street in traffic, or using the front brake to do high speed controlled burnouts in traffic. How about the ones that use public highways like their own personal racetracks? Some of those riders are riding that way on a Ducati, but not all of Ducati owners ride that way.

It simply amazes me how much Harley bashing I see on the Slingshot forums. I saw it plenty on the Dark side before coming here. The ones that do seem to justify it by referring to the Harley people bashing them first. My experience has been just the opposite. I know 4 Slingshot owners in my area, and all of them still have have Harleys, along with their Slingshot. I know many here still ride Harleys or did ride them up until they got the Slingshot. I get it..... you really despise what that handful of guys did to your bike. Hey, I do too. But we are not all that way.... focus on the problem at hand... the handful of assholes that trashed your bike. Leave the rest of us out of it. After all, some of the ones you'll find in Sturgis don't ride that much at all, they are just outlaws that call themselves bikers but don't even ride bikes much.

Brent
    Member of the Harley community, and the Slingshot community.... but not the asshole community.

• @Bill Martin put it well in the post above. I too am sorry that happened to you and your GF, and feel that it never should have happened in any way shape or form. I've ridden Harleys (as does my wife) for nearly 30 years. I really don't care what anyone rides, more how their attitude is. An asshole is an asshole, be it the guys that bashed your bike or the sport bike rider that is standing on the back wheel running thru traffic.
    My point being, I was with you on everything up until the last half of that last sentence. To be honest, that was just about as bad as what you were bashing what happened to you. You just threw all Harley riders under the bus in one category, for the action of a few. I was out in the SS over the weekend for a family reunion in KY. About 1/3 of the Harley riders I met gave me the low wave, and not with one finger either. You talk of that being a cancer for the motorcycle community, I agree there are some that are like that. But so are the ones on sport bikes that are riding wheelies down the street in traffic, or using the front brake to do high speed controlled burnouts in traffic. How about the ones that use public highways like their own personal racetracks? Some of those riders are riding that way on a Ducati, but not all of Ducati owners ride that way.

It simply amazes me how much Harley bashing I see on the Slingshot forums. I saw it plenty on the Dark side before coming here. The ones that do seem to justify it by referring to the Harley people bashing them first. My experience has been just the opposite. I know 4 Slingshot owners in my area, and all of them still have have Harleys, along with their Slingshot. I know many here still ride Harleys or did ride them up until the got the Slingshot. I get it..... you really despise what that handful of guys did to your bike. Hey, I do too. But we are not all that way.... focus on the problem at hand... the handful of assholes that trashed your bike. Leave the rest of us out of it. After all, some of the ones you'll find in Sturgis don't ride that much at all, they are just outlaws that call themselves bikers but don't even ride bikes much.

Brent
    Member of the Harley community, and the Slingshot community.... but not the asshole community.

Well put Brent - I have run same oil longer in my Harley longer than some of em been ridin / what the hell gives em the right to criticize another motorcycle - some just can't help themselves from being an asshole!!!!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• @Goats_Hogs you are right that some Harley rider are nice but those a far and few in between up here.

What is worst is that the behavior is encouraged by business owners, that sign that says Harley only is quite popular up here and Lord help you if you feel like parking there anyways.

Also I want to point out that their hate is not aimed at sport bikes but to anything not a Harley, my insurance agent drives a Yamaha Stryker (cruiser for those that don't know) he once decided to park on the Harley spots , he figured his bike would be ok and boy was he wrong, this was at motorcycle shop named Shade tree in elk River mn.

My point is I can only speak from what I know and the people I have met, are all Harley rider bad? Unlikely but 90% of the ones I have met have been aholes.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• @Neosolidus, I've seen the types of places like you speak of. I've stopped at more than a couple of them. Usually, I would have been on the Harley at the time, so it didn't affect me. In times past, if I weren't on the Harley, it was likely I was in my truck so it still didn't really affect me, as I wouldn't park my truck where there was bike parking. Any business owner can cater to any group they choose. While I've seen "Harley only" signs, I've also seen signs with "No guns". I've seen signs stating political stance. To me it's rather foolish as the owner of a business to alienate any possible customers based on what your hobby or passion is unless perhaps if that is the actual business itself.

If 90% of the Harley riders in MN that you've met are aholes.... you likely should move away from MN. Can't just be the Harley riders, some of that has to spill over into the rest of the population! =O:D

• I come like most of you do from a Harley background. I can never understand why anyone cares what anyone else rides.i love Harley's but to be honest my wife says no more two wheels. Do the slingshot is perfect for me. I get terrible looks from Harley riders and I don't get it. I just want to scream to them i took a sportster to Daytona in Feb from Central Illinois. So I can ride a Harley it's not the exclusive of a club. Ride what you want!

• Hard core harley riders don't consider any other bike a "motorcycle" and I would also consider every Harley driver armed.... Once you think like that you should park and act accordingly....and you said it was in front of a bar...assume lots of alcohol has been consumed and the beer muscles are huge...and brain cells have been diminished...

And no I'm not singling anyone out just making my personal observation...I don't go to "biker" events. I figure at least one gun for every bike in attendance and do the math and figure out your odds.... No thanks...

• Have to agree - so many Harley riders haven't even had their first oil change and all of a sudden they are a badass. Got no use for them - they will have a close call or go down once and they sell. You go to a Harley bar or event on another make of scooter I agree your chances of some asshole causing conflict are greatly increased but I have seen many times the older more experienced Harley rider will intervene saying "leave him alone he is on two wheels - he is OK". There are "dicknose douchekittens" (thank you @KayTwo) on every make and model - Harley doesn't have a patent on those.

Caveat - I swear my 87 FXLR with 2" drag pipes would make my pecker grow 3" every time I started it - so I can see where it makes newbies feel like a badass :00008172:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• I inadvertently started this whole thread. Here is my take. I have owned a KZ1000 (which almost killed me because I was young and invincible), and 2 Harleys. Was considering a Goldwing, CanAm, or another Harley before buying the Slingshot. My wife wanted something that was more comfortable to ride on. Made the best choice with the Slingshot that could also be made in my opinion. Harleys are very much a "culture" thing. Alot are riding them because dad, grandpa, or whoever has also ridden them. You also have the "flavor of the week" people who ride them now because they are in vogue. Some ride them because that is what they like. Been around Harley riders who were good ole boys, normal if there is such a thing, the trendy ones, rough around the edges, and even some of those who might be considered 1%ers. They are no different than the rest of the population- 98% is good & the rest are jackholes!!! I see the Slingshot quickly becoming a culture also. Nothing wrong with that either. I was in a bar Saturday that was a place where alot of good ole boys with Harleys like to hang out. The owner of the place told me to park my Slingshot in the Harley parking area, because he said it would get alot of interest and questions because they rarely see them. He said he doesn't even park his Indian there when he rides it in. Never felt the least bit threatened nor did the guy who was with me on the Ducati. It was a bunch of people eating hog nuts, drinking beer, and talking. The talk was about bikes, women, sports, and military experiences. Had a bunch of compliments on my Slingshot as did my future son in law did on his Ducati. Made several new friends. Let 3 of them take my Slingshot for a cruise. They offered the same. The Ducati got a couple of test drives also. What I am getting at that the 98/ 2% rule applies to all people. Whether they drive a moped, F150, Slingshot, or Corvette. When passing a bike on the road, the Harley guys are the ones who usually give me the thumbs up sign. 98/ 2% applies to all people in my opinion.

CDCAMEL6

• Every time I see someone now that thinks they have a hot looking car I just think to myself yeah.....it's not as cool as this....

I must admit to a very interesting meeting with someone in a Exige Sport last weekend.

While driving away from our home, in a very small hamlet, in the British countryside, we were less than 1 mile from home and due to the very narrow roads had to pull over to one side as a bright red Lotus was approaching.

When it got level with me the other driver stopped... he was returning to the same hamlet, where he had once lived. Although he would not have said it, he wanted to show off his new Lotus.

He didn't know what a SlingShot was and when he discovered that we lived I the village, you could see the blood drain from his face, with a look of "Who is going to give a $h1t about this, when one of these lives here?"

We spoke awhile and I set the Alpa veritable exhaust to loud, before driving away.

Sometimes these things just have to deal done.
    :thumbsup:

All the best, from UK_Paul

• Somewhat similar situation happened to us on Saturday. We were on our way to my dad's family reunion in KY. Dad passed 6 years ago. The reunion has been going on 59 years, 2 years before I was born. I try to make it in his honor every year now. We were about 1/2 way there, and came up behind this one. After traffic opened up, so did the person driving this one. I could hear it at 75+MPH, the note sounded good! But as I watched.... I thought the same thing, which would bring more admirers? No matter, was cool to follow....