4 Point Harness thoughts

• The harness subject is one of those that is similar to politics and oil brands. People have many different opinions and reasons that they believe in them or they dont.

One way to look at it for me is it has to be safer to wear somthing that helps me control my vehicle (not for crash safety) than to not wear anything at all. Because that is what I would have on. Nothing...

And if I slide off the road and smack a tree at 55 or 65 I had much rather have the harness I have holding me from being tossed out. It may give me whiplash or but I will take that way more than being ejected .

You will noticed in my example I used a tree... This is because if you slide into the path of a Chevy Tahoe that is coming toward you at 65 and your moving 65 I just don't think it's going to matter if you have a seat belt or a harness... You going to have a very difficult future after that impact.

We all have to remember that it's not Polaris RZR and it's not a car.... It is a motorcycle. It has no bumpers and no crush points.

Wear somthing to hold you in if you can. And if wearing a harness helps you control your Slingshot then do it.. If you have a head on it may snap your neck but ill take that chance. I'm pretty sure that when I am carving asphalt on a Ducati motorcycle and someone comes into my lane it would be way worse than what would typically happen with my harness on in the SS...

Just be as safe as your can and always watch everyone. They are out to hit you. Everyone is...

• I'll take my chances with the harness. I didn't like the fit or feel of the factory seatbelt at all. Besides, no male in my family has lived past 67, why try to defy the odds.

Alpha Supercharger is still spinning fine... it gets rode hard, every time.

• I only use my harness when I am in the twisties and plan on hard cornering and I use the oem belt the rest of the time. I don't know who is safer but with a harness you will look better in the casket.

• I only use my harness when I am in the twisties and plan on hard cornering and I use the oem belt the rest of the time. I don't know who is safer but with a harness you will look better in the casket.

I agree with Wingshot. Have both and use the appropriate one. Having survived some serious crashes on dirt tracks, I can swear by 5 points but I also thing it is a pain sometimes to strap in. I don't have seats yet but I plan on getting RPR's and putting in a good set or SFI rated belts.

And lets face it guys, IMHO, when your number is up, your number is up. I have seen some people survive crashes that they wish they hadn't.

• I have both as well and run a Schroth 6 pt. profi. I also installed the correct seats and mounted the belts according to manufacturers recommendations (no harness bar).

I believe I trust Schroth who does nothing but make safety equipment for many many years for the insane vs. Polaris who has never built a car let alone crash tested one. No offense Polaris.

The whole issue of requiring a helmet with a seat belt is another huge problem as well. In the end you are just picking against risks: will you roll it? hit a tree sideways? hit a concrete track wall at 60 mph? In each of these one belt may be better than the other.

I hit a track wall at 60 mph with a seat belt and full face helmet in my sling. The lesson I learned is you should always wear a full face helmet, properly installed harnesses, and a Hans device when tracking. All of my injuries would never have happened if I had those things.

As far as the street, roll the dice how you see fit but Rab makes some great points about avoiding an accident as well.

• Don't forget in a race car the roll cage is a capsule for the driver - the harness just keeps him or her in that protective cocoon. Plus race cars are designed to shed parts to release energy. We have none of that

Oh, maybe that's why our SS's loose our reflectors and hood pads and countless other parts...

• I agree you should not use a harness with stock seats - They are made for seats like the PRP with a pass thru. As far as mounting I think the only secure mount is directly to the roll hoop mounting bolts. I do have DOT approved 4 point harnesses from Schroth Racing and yes they were over $300 a set. Personally the best investment I have made to date and even my wife feels more comfortable with them. Haven't used the stock belts since they were installed. @mniron does delivers some excellent advise as always

Which Schroth Racing belts did you get? One of the Rallye sets? Also, what bracket did you get to bolt it to the roll hoop mounting bolts? Did you have to cut any of the plastic around the hoop covers to have them fit right?

Thanks in advance.

2017 Sunset Red SL with carbon fiber accents

• @amoede

All the parts I ordered are listed below
    Yes I did trim the plastic because picture below - If I can help in any way just let me know PM me for my phone #

Just one suggestion - ordered silver belts but any color other than black gets dirty very easily and they are hard to keep clean.
    One other note: I would not recommend them with stock seats - should have seats with pass thru for belts

not cheap but well worth it for protection.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!