Looking For Info on Salvage Value - Trash or Treasure?

• I just received a settlement offer from my insurance company on my frame-damaged 2015 SL with 4,300+ miles. I have the choice of keeping it for $5,742. The rear was hit and all of the parts in back are damaged as well as the hood and right front corner. However, the engine/tranny are still good along with many other parts. I don't know the value of the drivetrain but am considering keeping it for a spare or builder. Does anyone here have an opinion on value and/or experience in parting out a Slingshot?

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• If you have the room and ability to keep it I would. There is some definite parts worth salvaging such as lights, mirrors some decent unscathed panels, ect. So if you have room I vote to keep it!

Owner of Three's Da Life Fenders and Three's Da Life Apparel

Proud supporter of S.O.G. (Slingshot Owners Group) :thumbsup:

WWW.ROCKMYBLING.COM

• I agree with @rabtech and feel you should look at the pics and try to determine what's salvageable for your own use or resell-able. If the total value amounts to more than the salvage cost, go for it. For things like the engine, trans or other still usable mechanical parts (angle drive?) you might want to keep as spares for yourself, you might want to place a little more value on them based on how much or little you feel that they've been abused compared to parts from a junkyard or other salvage.

• I just received a settlement offer from my insurance company on my frame-damaged 2015 SL with 4,300+ miles. I have the choice of keeping it for $5,742. The rear was hit and all of the parts in back are damaged as well as the hood and right front corner. However, the engine/tranny are still good along with many other parts. I don't know the value of the drivetrain but am considering keeping it for a spare or builder. Does anyone here have an opinion on value and/or experience in parting out a Slingshot?

How much frame damage? Is the front suspension forward frame compromised? Pictures of the damaged frame would be helpful, all other parts can be replaced easily. Based on the settlement offer it seems like you have major frame issues besides the body panels and suspension.

• Well, there's this one:

This was before complete disassembly. The tech found one bar in the center of the rear frame that was 1/2mm out of spec over about 20", and some 'stressed' welds. He called me in to discuss options because in Washington, where it is titled, any report of frame damage ends up with a branded title. He later found 'frame damage, cracking and stress signs @ angle drive/swing arm mounting points". I have not seen that damage yet.

From the crash-site:

Might as well whip out my 3 inches and brag like it's 4:

I know @mniron, I know. But even the plain girl gets asked to dance now and then!

I just got off the phone with my adjuster and was able to negotiate the removal and return to stock of the CAI, header, side-exit exhaust, F4+3 windshield and my JRi shocks (front 2 good - rear is toast) and momo steering wheel. That's $2,350 in parts I keep for a $800 reduction of my claim. This is because I have $5,300 in mods and only $3,000 in coverage, and I'm removing them at a depreciated (1/3) value.

That's what I'm worried about @rabtech, I'm already kind of on thin ice with this Slingshot without owning 1 1/2.

How about a reasonable price for the engine/tranny/electronics? Would there be interest from owners who are looking to build a high-pro motor? Otherwise the care and storage just might not be worth it.

• people looking to build a bulletproof engine just by a junkyard core for $500 or less, so paying more for a low mileage original would only apply to someone wanting a stock running spare. I haven't heard of any non boosted engine failures, so that demand isn't strong

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• people looking to build a bulletproof engine just by a junkyard core for $500 or less, so paying more for a low mileage original would only apply to someone wanting a stock running spare. I haven't heard of any non boosted engine failures, so that demand isn't strong

Kind of what I thought. Typical Polaris. At the end of the day the plastic is worth more than the power plant. Well, if anyone semi-local is interested in owning this fine machine send me a PM. It is sitting at Polaris of Portland in Oregon. I'll be making my decision on this within a couple days. Cheers!

• I am thinking from the pictures, your buy back isn't to bad. I know there is a lot of things unseen here, but 1/2mm over 20" is like nothing, stress cracks could be another story. Actually I am interested and I know someone else that might be also. More pictures would be great if you could get them.

Until when do you have for your answer?

• I am thinking from the pictures, your buy back isn't to bad. I know there is a lot of things unseen here, but 1/2mm over 20" is like nothing, stress cracks could be another story. Actually I am interested and I know someone else that might be also. More pictures would be great if you could get them.

Until when do you have for your answer?

Your points on the frame is what the tech was letting me know without advising me. The damage identified at that point was not worth totaling the bike, but my state laws regarding frame repairs are unfavorable.

I have more pics from the incident on my phone. I'll put them up here later tonight. I don't have pics of it disassembled any more than the one posted but should be able to get some at the dealer. Right now I'm leaning towards taking off the aforementioned parts and letting it go. There is definitely value there for someone that wants to deal with parting it and I can work with you if you're interested. As far as repairing it, I'm not the expert, but I would not reuse the swingarm and would be suspect of the angle drive. There is no timeline on a decision other than getting paid. I'm still waiting to hear from Bozo's insurance adjuster. I'll send you the repair estimate in a PM. That should give you an idea of the damaged items although some may still be usable. It was written for the insurance company.