Another WWII Hero passes

• Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• I know we have heros in every war/conflict - whatever you want to call it - but it seems like there were so many of our fathers and grandfathers who put all they had on the line overcoming insurmountable odds in WW2 that there are too many to all be told. This soldier was forged out of some very tough metal and we all should be forever thankful for his patriotism (and that he was on our side :) ). Thanks @BKL - nice read

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Yep... A different generation all together... I am sometimes referred to as old school with some of my thinking, but I take it as a compliment... Look at these generations now... And I'm a part of it! ;(

Thanks for the always great shares @BKL!

• Just because this thread is here, I want to relay an event from last night.

I was asked to speak at a community the event last night, the first time for that since I started my new job. The event was a commemoration of two Navy ships that have both borne the name COWPENS. The first such ship was a World War II light aircraft carrier. At this event, I was privileged to meet six veterans of that ship, all who served onboard between 1943 and 1945. The youngest is now 90 years old. They were all very young enlisted men when they joined, and they have some great stories. One guy basically walked on board and volunteered to take a job as a trumpeter in the band just so he could get on a ship. Another guy got off that ship and left the Navy and they recalled him to service in Korea, so he came back as an officer. Another guy got his job when they asked if anyone walking on board the ship in his group could type well, so he became a yeoman for the commanding officer, and later in life a doctor. I was absolutely honored to meet them and chat with them, and I will greatly mourn the loss when the last of that generation passes.

If you are a history buff, you should check out the short and intense life of USS COWPENS (CVL 25). USS_Cowpens_(CVL-25)

Oh, and as proof that I occasionally clean up well....

• You look a lot better in uniform than THIS guy !!! :thumbsup:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it