Conservative Politics & Daily Events Discussion

• Agree - unless evidence to the contrary surfaces it would be an easy manslaughter conviction or a slam dunk involuntary manslaughter. If they charge him with murder the stakes go way up making it much easier for a not guilty verdict or a plea down to manslaughter. I will say the officer with the knee on the neck makes LEO everywhere look bad and have to suffer for it. He has been booted from the department and should be prosecuted the same way any John Q Public would be. If convicted he should be made an example of with the maximum penalty under the law IMO.

I haven't heard from any reliable source if the restraint method used was approved or taught by the department or any of the departments training subcontractors.

If not then charge away ........ it if was, well that presents a problem for the city wouldn't you think counselor ....

.... ninja-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Agree - unless evidence to the contrary surfaces it would be an easy manslaughter conviction or a slam dunk involuntary manslaughter. If they charge him with murder the stakes go way up making it much easier for a not guilty verdict or a plea down to manslaughter. I will say the officer with the knee on the neck makes LEO everywhere look bad and have to suffer for it. He has been booted from the department and should be prosecuted the same way any John Q Public would be. If convicted he should be made an example of with the maximum penalty under the law IMO.

Remember a couple years ago, same department officer shot the unarmed lady in an alley? He was prosecuted, 12.5 years.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/…-unarmed-australian-woman

• From my experience with LEO and other “experts” have said once the cuffs go on ANYTHING that happened prior is over. I am as pro a LEO guy as you will find but unless a very plausible explanation is given I can see no reason to keep a knee in the guys back until he asphyxiates. Whatever training he had this would certainly not be the instructors intent. Beside - if he and the other officers whisked him up and threw him in back of police car...no problem for anybody!! Why did they not do that is my first question!!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• From my experience with LEO and other “experts” have said once the cuffs go on ANYTHING that happened prior is over. I am as pro a LEO guy as you will find but unless a very plausible explanation is given I can see no reason to keep a knee in the guys back until he asphyxiates. Whatever training he had this would certainly not be the instructors intent. Beside - if he and the other officers whisked him up and threw him in back of police car...no problem for anybody!! Why did they not do that is my first question!!

Two issues:

1 Training, was he taught that and did he use it as taught.

2 Common practice, is it done as a matter of routine even if it's taught or prohibited by policy.

I've dealt with a good number of combative suspects in my career. Once the cuffs go on you lower the level of force. It can be reapplied if need be but there's no reason I could see to park your knee there for that long. Cuff, stuff and drive away. The longer you stay the bigger the crowd gets and you have a second problem.

• Remember a couple years ago, same department officer shot the unarmed lady in an alley? He was prosecuted, 12.5 years.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/…-unarmed-australian-woman

You are a great one to answer this - given the facts up to this point this ranks right up there with a bad shoot IMO. As a trained law officer can you see ANY reason in his defense for this cops actions?? So far all I can see is negotiating for the best plea bargain he can get so the city can put this to rest quickly!!

you could hear another cop to the left of the kneeler asking him if he was ready to get into the police car.....after the cuffs are on does police brutality start?

• You are a great one to answer this - given the facts up to this point this ranks right up there with a bad shoot IMO. As a trained law officer can you see ANY reason in his defense for this cops actions?? So far all I can see is negotiating for the best plea bargain he can get so the city can put this to rest quickly!!

I'm still waiting to see why he wasn't put in the squad for transport. If they were still investigating put him in the squad to secure him, safer than trying to manually control him for both the suspect and officer.

Ultimately I think he'll be charged and get a plea deal, some of the officers will probably get their jobs back.

From my experience with LEO and other “experts” have said once the cuffs go on ANYTHING that happened prior is over. I am as pro a LEO guy as you will find but unless a very plausible explanation is given I can see no reason to keep a knee in the guys back until he asphyxiates. Whatever training he had this would certainly not be the instructors intent. Beside - if he and the other officers whisked him up and threw him in back of police car...no problem for anybody!! Why did they not do that is my first question!!

Agreed, not being sympathetic to the officer based on what I have seen, just exploring all angles. I know you have to be very careful what is taught or even said during an official training exercise. Curious what is finally done after what I think have been some strange statements from the department and city (not the Mayor). We have all seen some officers who we knew did wrong, where charged, but eventually "cleared" due to (unknown to the public) problems with dept policies and practices. We have also all seen how those riots where sometimes worse than those for the initial crime.

.... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• You are absolutely correct - there is no telling what will happen when those DAMN LAWYERS get to spinning the tale :00008172:

• Can't disagree, one thing to consider on arresting the ex-officer. Making an arrest before finishing an investigation can create issues. Some jurisdictions will only allow a suspect to be held for a short time before they must be charged or released. It's often better to put the case together and have the charge ready before making an arrest.

Hopefully the pressure to charge to high is resisted or you'll see the suspect walk and the crap starts all over again.

BTW an internal affairs investigation got derailed when they were all fired. You can't compel them to cooperate or be truthful if they don't work for the department any longer.

Thanks for putting perception to the processes. Now it makes sense.

• Once again I realize how thankful a wise old lawyer took a young green, just recently passed the bar under his wing. “You would never pass the psych evaluation for LEO.”“Son I don’t see you making it as a criminal defense lawyer - “ya don’t have a disposition to defend guilty people”. Ya don’t want to work for peanuts to prosecute cases and I’m pretty sure you would be a hanging judge”. Why don’t you go with me and I will teach you what you need to know to make tons of money in corporate law. Didn’t take long before I caught on where my gift of gab became a valuable tool. That decision is reinforced as I watch the riots in Minneapolis - St Paul area tonite. If I were in charge folks would be allowed to peacefully protest all they want but if you throw anything, burn anything, break in to anything, assault any city workers officers will maintain order by any means necessary - rubber bullets, tear gas, stun guns, and night sticks! We will beat your ass, throw you in a cell and get you in front of judge quickly for a maximum sentence. Don’t care if your black, white, Asian, KKK, Black Lives Matter, Colin Kaepernick, ANYBODY - if you break the law it will NOT be a pleasant experience. If we were to do that ONE TIME putting all on notice this would be the procedure for any riots going forward!!

course the left would say “Oh Billly - that’s to harsh”.

• Once again I realize how thankful a wise old lawyer took a young green, just recently passed the bar under his wing. “You would never pass the psych evaluation for LEO.”“Son I don’t see you making it as a criminal defense lawyer - “ya don’t have a disposition to defend guilty people”. Ya don’t want to work for peanuts to prosecute cases and I’m pretty sure you would be a hanging judge”. Why don’t you go with me and I will teach you what you need to know to make tons of money in corporate law. Didn’t take long before I caught on where my gift of gab became a valuable tool. That decision is reinforced as I watch the riots in Minneapolis - St Paul area tonite. If I were in charge folks would be allowed to peacefully protest all they want but if you throw anything, burn anything, break in to anything, assault any city workers officers will maintain order by any means necessary - rubber bullets, tear gas, stun guns, and night sticks! We will beat your ass, throw you in a cell and get you in front of judge quickly for a maximum sentence. Don’t care if your black, white, Asian, KKK, Black Lives Matter, Colin Kaepernick, ANYBODY - if you break the law it will NOT be a pleasant experience. If we were to do that ONE TIME putting all on notice this would be the procedure for any riots going forward!!

course the left would say “Oh Billly - that’s to harsh”.

The Mayor of Minneapolis has done further damage over night. By having the police abandon their precinct and allow it to be burned he has stripped them of any credibility or authority over the protesters.

• The Mayor of Minneapolis has done further damage over night. By having the police abandon their precinct and allow it to be burned he has stripped them of any credibility or authority over the protesters.

I agree... but he used the words... Damn, and Hell... in a stern voice... So that makes him tough. I have never heard of the Police leaving and letting the rioters destroy a precinct... Strange. Let them burn down the precinct, but arrest the CNN crew for not leaving when they were told to leave... The whole thing is a big mess.

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

• I believe the police pulled back and other incidents prior to this in other cities and let the Riders Burn the City down if I remember correctly. But I don't remember when I'm where maybe somebody else does. I think the police and military need to take a strong arm to deal with these rioters.

• When it comes time for re-election the mayor can say he built them a new precinct house under his watch.

the owner of the mall that burnt probably lit the match. If your business wad going under blaming it on a riot is a prefect solution.

If any of us killed somebody like that would you be fired or in jail?

Black politicians are saying that could have been me. I say Nobody needs to die if you don’t resist arrest. If they ever want to arrest me I’ll

Have the cuffs on before they get out of the car.

• I believe the police pulled back and other incidents prior to this in other cities and let the Riders Burn the City down if I remember correctly. But I don't remember when I'm where maybe somebody else does. I think the police and military need to take a strong arm to deal with these rioters.

I've seen the "let them vent" concept used before but I can't remember a police precinct being sacrificed.

• Floyd supposedly was intoxicated at the time of The arrest....I can see the coroners report now....

Mr. Floyd died from alcohol poisoning....From a combination of the High outside temperature and the extreme Physical resistance (Excercise) His blood pressure increased to a critical level causing heart failure. There was no unusual bruising on his head and neck.