Conservative Politics & Daily Events Discussion

• Yerp, you nailed me. I never convinced half my coworkers to think outside the union. Half of them didn't vote for Trump because I removed some of their Union first beliefs. I also didn't vote for (R) Snyder twice for Governor, because I'm a selfish cog. :rolleyes:

If you missed it, that was sarcasm. I did those things as a government union employee.8| I will always put country and state above myself because it will impact me favorably when things run well.

• Back in the day when I was an electrician I worked for a non-union shop

the union shops were like clubs - the only way to get in was if you father or an uncle or a brother were in - - - if you didnt know someone you were sol

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Back in the day when I was an electrician I worked for a non-union shop

the union shops were like clubs - the only way to get in was if you father or an uncle or a brother were in - - - if you didnt know someone you were sol

My father was a union master electrician(retired). I am in a union and an electrician, but it had zero to do with my dad. Also, I spent ten years patching roads, repairing basins, digging ditches, plowing snow and and cutting grass before a job in electrical opened up and I had enough time in to be first in the line of people that bid on the job. A friend did help get me the job. Many of our new hires are not friends or family. 15 years ago when I got in, the first question guys asked was, "Who got you in? Who do you know?", that isn't really the case much anymore.

• My father was a union master electrician(retired). I am in a union and an electrician, but it had zero to do with my dad. Also, I spent ten years patching roads, repairing basins, digging ditches, plowing snow and and cutting grass before a job in electrical opened up and I had enough time in to be first in the line of people that bid on the job. A friend did help get me the job. Many of our new hires are not friends or family. 15 years ago when I got in, the first question guys asked was, "Who got you in? Who do you know?", that isn't really the case much anymore.

My son worked for a time at the GM factory in Spring Hill Tn - - only got in because his father in law to be and all of their family worked there - this was about 9 years ago and at the time my son said it was all a matter of who you knew -

• Sorry to here that. That would suck donkey balls and have me asking, "what's the point of a union?".

That's what I thought so I gave myself another raise by quitting the union. No reason to support them if they were not going to support me. Much later on one of the union stewards was found is his garage with the engine still running and the garage door closed.

• My father was a union master electrician(retired). I am in a union and an electrician, but it had zero to do with my dad. Also, I spent ten years patching roads, repairing basins, digging ditches, plowing snow and and cutting grass before a job in electrical opened up and I had enough time in to be first in the line of people that bid on the job. A friend did help get me the job. Many of our new hires are not friends or family. 15 years ago when I got in, the first question guys asked was, "Who got you in? Who do you know?", that isn't really the case much anymore.

can you shoot me a tutorial on installing a smart light switch ?? I already cut the power off to the whole house and am still afraid to touch the wires. I’m thinkin I may be steppin out of my lane here :00008172:

PS...in case y’all didn’t know electricity falls in place barely behind snakes 👀

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• The easy way:evil: if you know nothing about electricity Is wait until day light tomorrow and turn the main off to the house. Then you will not have to worry about getting shocked. Replace the switch and then turn the main back on. :saint: Electricity and electronics paid the bills since 1967

• The easy way:evil: if you know nothing about electricity Is wait until day light tomorrow and turn the main off to the house. Then you will not have to worry about getting shocked. Replace the switch and then turn the main back on. :saint: Electricity and electronics paid the bills since 1967

I am good at plugging stuff in and flipping switches - when I start wiring ...

:00007505::00007505:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Don't claim to know much about electricity, but one time changed a 110 switch with all the juice on....The manager of the store said take ALL the time you want. Seems that the setup to turn off that switch in the store room … all so turned off all the gas pumps and cash registers.... went real slow and got it done with nothing going down. Sometimes you do what you gotta do to get the job done.

• Don't claim to know much about electricity, but one time changed a 110 switch with all the juice on....The manager of the store said take ALL the time you want. Seems that the setup to turn off that switch in the store room … all so turned off all the gas pumps and cash registers.... went real slow and got it done with nothing going down. Sometimes you do what you gotta do to get the job done.

when I was doing industrial electrical work there were many times when we had to work on things that were still hot for that same reason - it was either that or do it after hours.

I remember one job we were on, the job was all but done and all the office workers were at their desks working on their computers. My partner and I were up on ladders installing two additional exit signs that the inspector said were needed because a door had been cut in between two suites and it was not marked - anyway we were up on our ladders and suddenly the entire building went black all the power totally off - - these people who were sitting at their desks lost everything they were working on and they were looking at us as if they were going to kill us - I seriously thought we were dead until they finally realized that the entire street had gone black

had nothing at all to do with what we were doing, but for a moment those people thought we did and they were not happy

in this case we were not working on something hot, but sometimes you just cant help it - - seemed to almost be a given if we were called in to work on lighting where there was just no way they could have everyone stop working so we could turn the lights off

• I am a proud UNION millwright. When i went to the local hall and talked to the president of the local he looked at my resume and shook my hand. No one in my family belonged to the local I was the first. I dont fit in the click and do my job i am paid for. I worked in the local for 20 yrs and was never out of work due to work ethic and knowledge. Took a full time position 5 yrs ago that is also a union shop. I feel without the union companies would start to take advantage of people slowly but surely. Making employees work in unsafe ways and in conditions that are not fair. I have seen it even where i work and the management try to do things and have to be reminded about the contract

• There is an incredibly interesting series on the history channel called "The Men Who Built America". Henry Frick was brutal! I like the series, its portrayed as open-ended. Right or wrong, good or bad can be argued on both sides. Absoulty, I think America is what it is today because of the hard driven and yes greedy men like Rockefeller, Carnegie, Vanderbilt, Ford, etc. They risked everything to succeed. Many more lost everything and never recovered. We needed those men. They created jobs. Yet no doubt because the unions worked so hard to get us here. We needed unions to protect the worker from that very same greed. Without a unionized work force a controlled safe workplace would never have developed. Who knows where the country would be without unions.

The rise and fall of Bethlehem Steel is an interesting case of greed on both sides. It was enough to bring down a giant. Can it be happening all over America today.

Either way if you see it on the history channel it's a good watch. They bring back the series from time-to-time.

• I gave Uncle Sam 21 years of my life to keep this Country free. The Democrats want to do away with our freedoms as for me that sucks. IMHO if they want to do away with freedoms they should start with Freedom of the Press because none of them report the truth anymore. I get sick to my stomach listening to some of them. Makes me feel like this Country is going to Hell.

Agree canegrinder, Watched Trump last night Mississippi rally. He pissed off communist num-nuts so bad they stopped broadcasting the speech. I love it!