Conservative Politics & Daily Events Discussion

• Everything You’ve Heard About Mass Shootings is Wrong, Here Are the Facts

The Democrats and the media would have you believe that the country is in the middle of an epidemic of mass shootings led by white supremacists.

Democrats and the media would also have you believe that the only possible way to stop this epidemic is to immediately suspend the Second Amendment and confiscate all semi-automatic weapons.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

While the three mass shootings that have occurred over the past several weeks are indeed horrific and tragic, they do not represent an “epidemic” of mass shootings.

In fact mass shootings that affect innocent and random people are exceedingly rare in our nation of almost four hundred million people.

Consider these facts about mass shootings via American Greatness:

Fact: There were 387 deaths from mass shootings in the United States in 2018 (defined as four or more shot—not necessarily killed—at one time). Of those, most were regular criminals as we expect to see in gang-related drive-byes, bar fights, and a strangely large number of shootings at parties (like this one). About 100 deaths were the result of the random, psycho-killer shootings that dominated news coverage for days and weeks at a time. Mercifully, those are quite rare. But that’s not the impression we are given by the news coverage.

Fact: There are more privately owned guns in the United States than ever before and the number of murders has been declining for decades and has been at or near a multi-generational low for several years. More guns, less crime.

Fact: There were 660 murders in Chicago in 2017. That’s nearly twice the number from mass shootings in the whole country and six or seven times the number murdered by random psychos mass-shooters. Chicago has some of the strictest gun control in the country. Maybe it’s not the guns.

Fact: There are between 1.2 million and 1.5 million defensive uses of guns per year in the United States. How many more murders, rapes, thefts, and assaults would there be without armed citizens?

Fact: There were more than 70,000 opioid deaths last year. That’s 4.5 times the total number of murders and 700 times the number of people killed by psycho mass-shooters. Yet, liberals want to enact far-reaching gun control laws and prevent Americans from defending themselves.

One hundred random deaths of innocent bystanders by mass shooters is by any measure a horrific loss of life, and devastation to countless families.

Yet in a country of 400 million people, it is hardly a crisis that requires millions of innocent gun owners, who have never committed any crime, to lose their rights.

Democrats famously refuse to let any crisis go to waste, but calmer heads must prevail during a time of high emotion.

If any additional laws are needed to prevent mass shootings are needed they should be carefully deliberated in a slow and methodical process using facts, not hyperbole and emotional appeals.

That said I personally cannot imagine any law that would deter a criminal bent on causing harm. The only thing that can stop a person like that is a good guy with a gun.

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing:

• There is a condition called suicide contagion, which is well studied. It is based on the fact that when suicide methods are publicized, they are copied. It is not much of a stretch to apply the same theory to the copying of mass murders. In my opinion the increased numbers of similar mass shootings has much more to do with what and how the MSM report the incidents than with access to firearms, gun laws, video games or movies. It would be nice if governments researched this more and dealt with the science rather than the politics. https://www.nami.org/Blogs/NAM…porting-Guidelines-Matter

• There is a condition called suicide contagion, which is well studied. It is based on the fact that when suicide methods are publicized, they are copied. It is not much of a stretch to apply the same theory to the copying of mass murders. In my opinion the increased numbers of similar mass shootings has much more to do with what and how the MSM report the incidents than with access to firearms, gun laws, video games or movies. It would be nice if governments researched this more and dealt with the science rather than the politics. https://www.nami.org/Blogs/NAM…porting-Guidelines-Matter

I agree -at least the media has pretty much quit posting pictures and names of these mass murderers. Every time it happens the media and politicians turn it into a political battering ram. IMO there should be 1 headline in the media “Lunatic murders innocents - shooter’s remains scooped up with egg spatula” PERIOD - end of media coverage. Let the families bury their loved ones in peace without all the drama.. We can discuss what we can do in great detail after the last victim is buried but the immediate blame game accomplishes nothing.

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• My one wish before Trump leaves office is that he will use his executive powers to create term limits on all those in DC. Nobody from either party likes him so it would serve them right and that is the only thing he could do to make America great again. But will he have the balls to do it...???

• My one wish before Trump leaves office is that he will use his executive powers to create term limits on all those in DC. Nobody from either party likes him so it would serve them right and that is the only thing he could do to make America great again. But will he have the balls to do it...???

I suspect presidential powers do not extend this far - and if they did they would have been used by Obama back with the Republicans held both houses

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

While I wish he could, irrespective of ball size he doesn't have the power to do such ........

......... politician-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• I suspect presidential powers do not extend this far - and if they did they would have been used by Obama back with the Republicans held both houses

Then we are truly a lost nation with no hope of being great again...

• Then we are truly a lost nation with no hope of being great again...

I gotta say here that no matter what the USA is the best place in the world to live - I just pray that what has worked magnificently for the last couple hundred years is not ruined going forward. I’m pretty sure the 2020 election is gonna make that decision for us!!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• I gotta say here that no matter what the USA is the best place in the world to live - I just pray that what has worked magnificently for the last couple hundred years is not ruined going forward. I’m pretty sure the 2020 election is gonna make that decision for us!!

Don't think I'll be moving out of the country. Wanna stick around and see how crappy DC really gets. Maybe they will have a meltdown and have to start over, maybe a another civil war. It's not America that stinks, just DC.

Forget who wrote it but I read a quote the other day ..

"Joe Biden will win the Democratic nomination for President ...

And five minutes later they should concede the 2020 election to Trump"...

....... laugh-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Epstein dies from "suicide". I heard Trump had him killed, because Trump frequented the underage sex parties. Now it's out there. We need to stop that murdering sex offender.8o

That should get lots of "likes" because when baseless claims of "murderer" are placed on politicians in this thread they always get a bunch of likes.:*

• Hmmmmmmm, just for the sake of full disclosure, it was CLINTON who was buddies with Epstein BEFORE Trump was. Just read the truth about how Clinton tried to distance himself saying they only met a couple of times. Like 4 on his private jet etc. Yea, I met Ted Bundy a few times as well. Mostly at an all you eat BBQ at his house :(:(:(

https://www.thedailybeast.com/…ltiple-times-in-early-90s

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE