Conservative Politics & Daily Events Discussion

• Only chiming in on taxes, not politics... 🤔

Anyway, like you WOLF, this is the first year we have to pay according to our accountant (the wife)...

Wondering if filing separately would change anything... I'm also not sure she's doing it correctly (with the 2nd home in Houston and all), but I can't tell her that... 😬

• Only chiming in on taxes, not politics... 🤔

Anyway, like you WOLF, this is the first year we have to pay according to our accountant (the wife)...

Wondering if filing separately would change anything... I'm also not sure she's doing it correctly (with the 2nd home in Houston and all), but I can't tell her that... 😬

A second home could make it harder, IDK. Like you, my wife handles that with TurboTax which is pretty much impossible to screw up. I don't know if it easily accounts for multiple homes, I assume it does only because a lot of people have them.

• Wolf

Pay yourself first!

Start with a little and increase it each year, invest with a decent company that can manage your money and forget about it. I use TR Price but there are many out there. I see a lot of people around our little city that can buy cigarettes at $8 pack and scratch off tickets and its wasted. If they took that same money and invested it for 30 years they would have a nice supplement to their retirement income. The Democrats started the payroll tax requirements instead of letting us pay our share on Tax day. They knew that by taking it out of each check the person wouldn't fully understand how much taxes they were actually paying. Most people cant tell you how much taxes they paid in a year, they only know what the balance was on April 15th. Instead of worrying about paying at the end or getting a refund of your own money because you like loaning money to the gov. interest free. People need to start worrying about how much we have to pay in a year because of all the overspending and Pork projects these airheads think we have to have.

• Wolf

Pay yourself first!

Start with a little and increase it each year, invest with a decent company that can manage your money and forget about it. I use TR Price but there are many out there. I see a lot of people around our little city that can buy cigarettes at $8 pack and scratch off tickets and its wasted. If they took that same money and invested it for 30 years they would have a nice supplement to their retirement income. The Democrats started the payroll tax requirements instead of letting us pay our share on Tax day. They knew that by taking it out of each check the person wouldn't fully understand how much taxes they were actually paying. Most people cant tell you how much taxes they paid in a year, they only know what the balance was on April 15th. Instead of worrying about paying at the end or getting a refund of your own money because you like loaning money to the gov. interest free. People need to start worrying about how much we have to pay in a year because of all the overspending and Pork projects these airheads think we have to have.

I do have a 403b that I put money into every week pre-tax. I have a pension and Social Security if it is still a thing when I retire.

• Another bit of words of wisdom from my Dad - save - save - save, then when you retire spend it like a drunken sailor and make sure your very last check bounces :00008172:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Daughter works at Walmart as a manager, she just makes ends meet. She is getting 5K back and said Thank You Trump. Thats my girl.

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing:

When the Washington Post gives your talking point ...

You should probably stop repeating it and take another look at the facts ....

"The Facts

The average tax refund is down, at least according to very preliminary data for returns processed through Feb. 1. (That’s essentially one week of filing data.) But the size of a refund tells you nothing about a person’s tax bill.

The tax law required the IRS to change tax withholding tables. The IRS encouraged Americans to review and update their W-4 forms to make sure the right amount was being withheld from their paychecks, but a survey by H&R Block indicated that 80 percent of Americans failed to do so.

In other words, if you left everything just the same, you can’t expect the same result."

"When both the Joint Tax Committee and the Tax Policy Center looked at the impact of the tax bill, they concluded that in 2018, most people would see an overall reduction in taxes. The Tax Policy Center found that 80.4 percent of all tax payers would have a tax cut, compared with about 5 percent experiencing a tax increase.

In the middle quintile, 91 percent would get a tax cut, averaging about $1,090"

https://www.washingtonpost.com…on&utm_term=.c61cc7ac954b

.... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Doesn't go against anything I said. Not sure who you are addressing here?;)

How did the IRS, "encouraged Americans review and update their w-4"? I never received an email or a letter.

Guess someone didn't click on the link provided which leads to the referenced Washington Post article which specifically rates a single persons comments ... thus "your"

I give the preceding post a rating of .....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• When there are changes to the tax law.....

It is up to YOU, the taxpayer, to review your tax situation and withholding amounts to make sure you do not run contrary of the new tax laws

After all, ignorance of the law is not an excuse, and neither is just plain old ignorance.

Thats why i pay professionals, cause i am not ignorant.

• Now that’s funny - thanks for the Pinocchio pile - made my day !!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Should I not trust the professional accounts at my place of employment to handle that? I didn't change anything, nor could I. I claim zero dependants, I'm married with a one child. They know that, it's in the system. What should I have changed?

• Ah, I just now read the article and yes, you used "your" correctly. I apologize for my self consciousness.

As to my post getting a pile of Pinocchio's, I have to give that comment a pile of Pinocchio's. My previous post has zero falsehoods in it. I was obviously talking about your original post in the context of this thread, not in relation to a news article. Wrongly so, but I made no false statements.;)

• The left wing politicians in NY are claiming victory for running off Amazon. They were bringing 2500 jobs to the area. Not sure how that's a win.

Maybe they felt they offered Amazon too much, regretted the deal and when Amazon backed out they were happy. I know they were starting to worry about adding 2500 people to an already crowded area. Guess they should have offered a more rural area, then Amazon might have stayed and NY would be happy with it.

Just speculating, based on what I heard before Amazon decided to leave. You were actually breaking news to me Red . I didn't know Amazon actually bailed, last I heard they were contemplating it.