New Member Intro - Complete with DRAAAAAAMAAA!

• OK, I've been lurking around here and I guess it's time for a proper intro - complete with drama and baggage.

Drama:

I bought a used '15 SL in December and spent the rest of winter bolting on 23 mods. I was finally getting some windshield time when I was rear-ended by a drunk driver on Memorial Day Weekend while my wife and I were on our way to (not from) the local wineries here in SW Washington. The driver was cuffed and stuffed and the Sling was not drivable with a busted rear shock (1 week old JRi Grand Touring! =O ). I got the word yesterday from my servicing dealer that the frame is cracked so it's game over for that machine. I will be settling out through the drunk's insurance (yes, he insured the '84 Sirocco that wasn't in his name) and looking for a 'new' used machine.

Baggage:

I discovered the Slingshot last November when I stumbled across the SlingKing review videos and blogs. My searches identified two active forums for enthusiasts and I joined the one that appeared less intimidating to this 57 year-old gun-totin', pot-smokin' redneck hippie*. That would be the one with less activity and not the one where everyone seems to already know each other. As a result, I feel like I'm stepping in here as a second class citizen. So let me just say, I have no problem with the people over there that I did not block, and I was able to get specific help with the issues I had on my installs. Some of those people are starting to migrate and I guess I am too. It does make me cringe a little when I read posts here about specific people there that are labeled 'undesirable'. I don't judge and I don't like to be judged. I'm just a guy that likes to smart off regularly and needs help with new issues occasionally. So if I'm on 'The List', just let me know now. I was unaware of the Great Divide!

So I am currently looking for a replacement Slingshot. I bought used and will get used money from the insurance. The one I found in December had 3,300 miles, $2,300 worth of decent mods, and I picked it up for $17,300. I just missed out on a stock '15 SL in Idaho (400 miles away) for $17k on Craigslist. If anyone has, or knows someone who has a Slingshot in this general price range (I know it won't be lower), somewhere in the left half of the country (I will travel) then please send them my way. It can be stock or modified but want to stay with N/A, at least until I get the training wheels off.

There are several colors that I will consider:

Faster Than Light Red
    Super Duper Fast Red
    Super Fast Red
    Fast Red
    Red
    Maybe Orange
    But Probably Red

And now a little bit about me:

I am a cash buyer ready to go today.

That's enough about me.

Thanks for your time if you made it to the end of this post. I'm looking forward to getting to know y'all over time and my wife and I will be joining some of the events in the near future. Keep it between the ditches!

*Some items have been exaggerated or outright fabricated to make me seem much cooler.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• welcome.... sorry to hear of your mis-fortune with the idiot drunk driver... but also glad to hear your getting back on the horse. Still waiting for a Force Field MOD to be released... that may help with, rear enders, looky-loos and "I will invite myself to the inside of your Sling for a selfie".

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• Why do I find myself wanted to break out in song? (Slinglow.... sweet chariot! Coming for to carry me home!)

Truly sorry about your mishap. That is no fun, and I'm glad you are looking again, and didn't get hurt badly. Could have had a much different outcome.

I joined the other place long ago. Not sure I ever even made a post there, but could see some drama and that there were a few A-holes. It happens, it's a big forum. But questions didn't get answered much. Some people even got made fun of. Shortly after I got my Sling a year ago in May, I joined here. I didn't know anyone. But I saw many get help, and some of the sharpest answers were over here. Two weeks ago, I'd have said that even though I have never met them in person, some of my closer friends are on this site. Last week at Maggie Valley, I met many of my previously unmet friends from here. Many of those friendships were solidified in person last week, and many great memories were had by all.

So I guess what I'm saying here is this.... we took time to get to know each other. I came here just about a year ago. You and I are the same age, gun lovers, and although I've cut my hair and haven't smoked anything for years... we have some other things in common too (Red, and orange too). I try not to judge anyone. However, you can judge or chose not too..... doesn't change that there are some undesirables on the other site. If someone tends to rub everyone the wrong way, or always is rude or hateful, that is undesirable. And you said it yourself when you said and I quote, "I have no problem with the people over there that I did not block". Point made..... undesirables.

You aren't a second class citizen here. I would guess you would be welcomed just as I was. Take some time, interact and get to know people. Sarcasm runs heavy on this forum, that will fit in nicely.

• Thanks for taking the time to write that @Goats_Hogs. It's much appreciated! I too start to feel a connection with those that I interface with regularly. Some have gone out of their way to offer assistance ( 2W2X1), and others just keep it light. As a long-term holdout from anti-social media, this is an experiment for me, and I'm surprised at the time I spend on the forum. There are a lot of owners in our age group and we all have something in common other than the Slingshot. You just have to figure out what it is gun_bandana.gif.

And when I say I don't judge, I mean I don't care where you came from or how you walk through life. However, an A-hole is an A-hole and I'll be the 1st to call it. I'm already looking forward to sharing a ride and a cold one with you. Cheers!

• I can honestly say, I am continually amazed that we can have over 1000 people on here.... and we all are more like family than forum users! And I don't mean a dysfunctional family either! LOL! I'm glad to be a part of this place, and I've learned a lot and gotten help from many.

A ride and a cold one sounds good! Farthest West I've been is the four corners... well those four states. Going your way would be Wyoming, on a trip to Sturgis. Even if we don't get the ride, we can always interact and look at pics of our SS and places we see. Good luck on your Slingshot quest!

• Sorry for your troubles, if i was looking for a used SS I would look at @Orangeman he has a Super Fast red with like 8k+ in mods and last i checked was offered to forum members for 17k firm.

2015 SL Forum Only Pricing

Congrats OM! Someone is getting a hell of a deal steal!

I would buy that in a heartbeat if it was down the road - and still for sale. I looked into cross-country shipping last winter and it is quite expensive because the center rear wheel pretty much dictates an enclosed carrier. There are also a lot of flakes in the industry. However, if you sale doesn't go through and your looking for a road trip @Orangeman, let me know!

• @SlingLow, consider a "fly & ride" approach - many have done so. Fly to wherever the SS you buy is located & then drive it home. Saves $ over using a carrier & you get an awesome road trip out of the deal! :thumbup:

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• @SlingLow, consider a "fly & ride" approach - many have done so. Fly to wherever the SS you buy is located & then drive it home. Saves $ over using a carrier & you get an awesome road trip out of the deal!

That's a big can-do! I'm always looking for an excuse to hit the road. I've already heard from a member in Texas with a Sling for sale but I'll be stuck with my current budget unless I receive a better than expected settlement, which may not happen for a while yet. I could do Florida with some planning but it would be a challenge.

• Welcome SlingLow!

I can be honest and say I've mentioned certain people not wanting them here... But really, it's less about the actual people, rather their attitudes.

I don't mind anyone as long as people respond with respect and kindness... Now I, along with others joke and tease, but it's hopefully clearly communicated as that...

Assholes can stay at http://www.slingshotforums.com :D

And see? We don't even block their site and I don't get a PM to stop mentioning that site...

• @SlingLow, consider a "fly & ride" approach - many have done so. Fly to wherever the SS you buy is located & then drive it home. Saves $ over using a carrier & you get an awesome road trip out of the deal! :thumbup:

Seriously if you price out the upgrades on OM machine it is north of 8k and most of them are the stuff most people would do anyways since they are not "cosmetics". at 17k i was quite amazed it took this long to sell.

On another note cross country shipping can't be that bad, every time i go to Alpha there is a transporter dropping off one or two slings.

Heck in all my time going there other than Phil's sling I am yet to see another local sling being worked on, most of them being from the east coast and west coast .

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.