Recall on swingarm recall?

• Contamination of the rear speed sensor will disable the ABS and Traction/Stability Control, increasing the risk of a crash.

Not sure if we are identifying the correct gromets. The speed sensor is in the axle bearing.

The speed sensor trigger is in the bearing ....

The speed sensor itself is bolted to the bottom of and passes through the swing-arm .....

The swing-arm is hollow so "contaminants" entering through the holes left by not installing the grommets at the front of the swing-arm will travel through its entirety settling in the low spots .....like where the sensor is installed .....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

Edited once, last by Orangeman ().

• Ok so this is not something that compromises the swingarm, so at worst you have to replace the sensors and the missing grommets.

Swingarm,bearings and axles should be fine?

I just want to have an educated idea of what could possibly be wrong because i don't want to pick a losing battle asking for the whole swingarm if just the sensors will do.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Swingarm,bearings and axles should be fine?

I would say at the very least the axle needs removed and everything inspected .....

The wheel side bearing is sealed with a steel body so if anything passed between it and the sensor the plastic sensor would give ...

The needle bearing on the sprocket side has lip seals but is not "sealed" ... so I would personally want it looked at for condition and lubrication (cue @Tripod) and the entire swing-arm flushed out ...

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Maybe the mechanics were supposed to take the grommets from the old swingarm and install them in the replacement swingarm... ??? But, I know what I'mma gonna do... Imma gonna take the grommets out of my old swingarm just before I take it in for the recall... That way, if they're missing in the new replacement swingarm, I can install the old grommets in it. I'll also demand to see the replacement swingarm before they start any work and check if the silver colored seal is facing outwards... Can't trust anyone anymore...

• Good read... thanks for the heads up guys.
    Of course I don't think I have anything to worry about, My dealer said they would call me when my replacement swingarm comes in... still waiting on that call ! :00008862::00008862:

Of course I don't think I have anything to worry about, My dealer said they would call me when my replacement swingarm comes in... still waiting on that call ! :00008862::00008862:

Well, now you know to check... ;)

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

If i was you I would be jumping up and down.

I knew that being the first replacement done at Motoprimo would come back to bite me.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I checked mine after I got off work before I left the shop. I have the grommets... although I'd not call them that. They are more plugs, with a oversized framed area that extends well past the opening to protect it from splash or dust. The side to the outside is solid, no hollow area at all. Makes me feel better, as I don't ever want to enter the shop I bought mine from again. Ever. Since they did the work, I might have been in a bad place needing to let that dealer do the work. I'm between dealers for now, have another located, but have heard things about them that doesn't give me much confidence. Hoping any work that needs done is minor and not expensive for the most part until warr runs out. I've worked on my stuff for decades.... I'm better than most of the wrenches in the Polaris shops by far. I may just do all my own work and take the chance. Biggest concern is the angle drive, and the clutch and belt for future repairs. The angle drive might be covered under extended warr, but doubt the belt or clutch would be. I may just risk it and do the work myself taking the chance.

As for the swingarm, I am the lead tooling designer at an aluminum/iron foundry. The design on this would likely allow contaminants to get to the weak bearing (unsealed) with the speed sensor. The other bearings at the axle are sealed, shouldn't be a problem but I'd hate to have the dirt back there if the seals fail. The axle could also be compromised, but it would take a failed bearing to do that. The swing arm end, closest to the angle drive, should be fine. I don't think the internal core for the casting would affect that. It should be solid aluminum, without breaking into the hollow area. Just looking at this from common practices in this field.

And for the record, I'm truly sorry for anyone that had the grommets left out. There were at least four chances to catch this error. The one that was suppose to install them from the factory originally (wherever they were made), the quality control before signing off, the shipping person that wrapped them to ship and loaded them, and the mechanic (I use that term VERY freely in what I've seen from them) that installed the swingarm.

• I'll be checking my one out in the morning, when it gets light. But I'm still waiting for the arrogant Polaris Britain management to recognize that the radio needs a recall.

They don't even want to know what the problem was that I eventualy found, (becsuse they wouldnt look for themselves), let alone fix the dam thing.

All the best, from UK_Paul

• My rubbers are in place. If an opening in the swingarm is bad what about the threaded hole on the top of it? Should they plug that hole too?

Don't know if it's drilled all the way through? I have a Metricks fender so have a bolt there. You could always put a bolt in it if it's drilled through...

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014