How much can a Slingshot pull?

• I can tell you this for the small trailer I was pulling it did not make the backend squat in the least. The tongue wt. was at about 30lbs fully loaded with the cooler full of drinks and ice. I could not even tell there was a trailer back there just like when I pulled it with the wing. I will be using this trailer next month for the Rockies event and will have more stuff in it because the wife will be going on this trip and we will be gone for 10 days.

:GRAYSS: Its all about that base :HEADERSS::MOTOROILSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch, Welter duels

• I can tell you this for the small trailer I was pulling it did not make the backend squat in the least. The tongue wt. was at about 30lbs fully loaded with the cooler full of drinks and ice. I could not even tell there was a trailer back there just like when I pulled it with the wing. I will be using this trailer next month for the Rockies event and will have more stuff in it because the wife will be going on this trip and we will be gone for 10 days.

Agreed.

Using a motorcycle trailer, it is pretty tough to overload the hitch sufficiently to cause the swingarm to tilt in the opposite direction.

Now, consider force in a panic stop, and a fully loaded trailer, could it provide added lift? Possibly. That energy has to transfer somewhere.

Same for me, I have to have the trailer to even take the wife out of town overnight! I have had no trouble at all pulling my 1989 Motorcycle trailer. It weighs about 350 and can hold about that in weight with the cooler mounted on the tongue. I think the trailer was manufactured by Shoreline. I bought it on ebay several years ago to tow behind the Goldwing, kept it for the Slingshot.

I had a couple of Kuryakanssissy bar bags, over the roll hoops, that worked well for overnight, but they no longer fit since I added the Bulletspeed top.

Alpha Supercharger is still spinning fine... it gets rode hard, every time.

• How about this much?

Hence my $2,000,000 product liability policy! I completely agree that the SS was not intended to tow. I bought mine for touring the country in place of my bike. One thing led to another and I invented the Wycked Hitch out of necessity, and then decided to begin manufacturing after seeing what else was out there. I love to ride my jet ski, and wanted to be able to safely tow it to the lake also.

I will let the cat out of the bag on our latest innovation; we're buiding a quick release top for the SS with built in Storage! It attaches to the Wycked Receiver, and roll hoops. It can be removed in about 90 seconds. Put the top on for touring, go topless for the adrenalin rush! Also have a rear wing/fender on the prototype board.

This video of Noels' is titled "DEMO." Yes, he should put a disclaimer on it, and I should have them on all my videos of "what not to do!" You should see the video where I hooked up to a dual axle trailer with a Bob Cat on it. When we unloaded the cat, the trailer tilted and lifted the rear of my SS 18" off the ground by the drophitch, I couldn't believe nothing broke!

In that video of mine where I tow my cargo trailer downhill using my 2015 Base SS, The weight of the trailer was at approximately 1500 lbs. Insane I know, but I had to test it. Stock brakes and all worked just fine, but I know how to pull trailers. We went over 2500 miles to Berts and back home pulling that trailer. Had to do some pretty hard braking in traffic.

I traded my old SS tractor in for a new SLR this winter. I had over 8000 miles of towing various trailers. Never took anything down a public roadway that weighed over 1,700 lbs. Personally I have no problem or worries if customers follow our recommendations. Keeping things under 600 lbs is recommended, but we're Americans, and will push the limits of pretty much anything! My website lists max towing at 1,200 lbs. (with the gooseneck option and trailer brakes recommended). My insurance company says that's enough for them......knock on wood!

As to reducing hydroplaning, I've tested most of the theories and done it twice in my SS unexpectedly. Somewhere there is a thread where I gave my 2 cents worth. One of my customers hydroplaned with his trailer in tow, hit a tree and totaled his SS. I believe he thought the trailer kept him from going into a complete spin which is my belief also. I just won't go over 35 if there are puddles. I don't drive in standing water or hard rain.

I'm the type of SS owner who wants to enjoy his other toys while traveling with his main toy! Otherwise I'll use my Duramax to pull if there's any question about safety!

• @RichArlt Love the respect for towing in your post. Having towed many machines with 1, 2 & 3 pivot points, you eventually learn that something will go wrong at some point & time.

I've also had the unfortunate pleasure of having loaded a Cat behind the center axle of my trailer and having it lift my rear tires unexpectedly. So my caution is well earned.

Yeah, in that other thread, we pretty much held the same conversation. I acknowledge the towing capabilities of the Sling, I just hate seeing video's which show them, and don't give the proper warnings where braking systems should be considered and such. (Or even the "Do not try this at home" disclaimers)

Without doubt, your hitch can handle a higher capacity. My wife & I are considering a teardrop trailer to which I will need to upgrade my Alpha hitch to the Wycked one.

• I have pulled a 5x8 landscaping type trailer with a minimal load on it before but 1. It was less than 15mi, and 2. A bit of an emergency. It handled it well though. Attached is a pic of our normal trailer. If mama goes on a spending spree and loads it up, I load it mindful of tongue weight and check it with a handheld digital scale.

• I will let the cat out of the bag on our latest innovation; we're buiding a quick release top for the SS with built in Storage! It attaches to the Wycked Receiver, and roll hoops. It can be removed in about 90 seconds. Put the top on for touring, go topless for the adrenalin rush! Also have a rear wing/fender on the prototype board.

This sounds intriguing! Please keep us posted & put up some pics as soon as you can!

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• I pulled many different types of trailers behind my goldwings for 20 plus years, I understand 100% that some people frown on it and I respect that. I purchased my slingshot for cross country touring. I originally pulled a motorcycle tent trailer but wanted something more
    I recently bought a teardrop trailer that weights 550 lbs......I also purchased a wycked hitch
    As to me this is the best hitch on the market. Rich was great to deal with.
    Attached is the trailer that I started with and the newest trailer that I tow.
    We pulled the trailer 2500 miles last year and had no issues. I become the trucker towing a B train when towing. I pack a lightly as possible and don't break any land speed records when towing. I use a scale to determine tongue weight, pack smart and drive smart.
    I have driven in pouring rain with no issues

• This thread has been an interesting read. I'm currently in the market for a lightweight camper and thought it would be nice if I could also use it behind the SS as well as my regular tow vehicle. @RichArlt I know that this trailer slightly exceeds your recommendations but I also assume from your above post that the numbers you are quoting must have some sort of built in safety factor. I also know that from a liability standpoint you may not want to go this far out on a limb, but do you think it's doable?

Trailer Dry Weight 1262 lbs.
    Tongue Weight 128 lbs.
    Electric Brakes are an option on this trailer.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Ben Franklin)

2002 FatBoy FLSTF
    2016 Polaris Slingshot

• This thread has been an interesting read. I'm currently in the market for a lightweight camper and thought it would be nice if I could also use it behind the SS as well as my regular tow vehicle. @RichArlt I know that this trailer slightly exceeds your recommendations but I also assume from your above post that the numbers you are quoting must have some sort of built in safety factor. I also know that from a liability standpoint you may not want to go this far out on a limb, but do you think it's doable?

Trailer Dry Weight 1262 lbs.
    Tongue Weight 128 lbs.
    Electric Brakes are an option on this trailer.

It's doable............and Super Cool! I won't sell you a hitch though unless you agree to put a trailer brake in. I have a customer in California who just put a brake system in his SS, he'll be pulling about the same weight as the jeep trailer. I can hook you guys up so you can talk. You did see the video of me launching my inboard on YouTube......I also pulled a trailer that weighed well over the 1262 lbs. all the way to Souther California and back with no electric brakes. That was idiotic but doable. I had to test the hitch and SS limitations......

• @MBMedic I will honor our SSITR special for you anytime you are ready to pull the trigger! Pleasure to meet you and your wife in person, what a fun time we had in the Rockies!