WP Dual Exhaust Mod - Avoid Rubbing Issues (Walk-Through)

• Welter Performance (WP) Dual Exhaust Modification -- Bring the Y pipe closer to the back of the SS and avoid rubbing issues

I contacted Jeff from Welter Performance (WP) about my dual exhaust rubbing the rear tire against theY pipe on large dips underway. I was concerned that when I install air ride and air out the vehicle I wouldbe resting on the exhaust or give up a ton of drop in the rear. Not to mention if I lower the rear at all, Iwould rub the tire to exhaust more frequently. He asked me to measure the distance the Y pipe wasaway from the rear plastic of the Slingshot. I provided measurements that put me about 1 7/8” away.

Jeff clearly stated that was too far and walked me through a modification that would remedy therubbing and give piece of mind for future lowering of the Slingshot. First up, he shipped out a new 2”pipe clamp with welded hanger tab to replace the fixed (welded) tab on the exhaust system. Thisprovides more adjustments in overall exhaust length.
    Using the method below, I was successful in moving the exhaust closer to the rear of the Slingshotplastic by 1”. Here are before and after pictures (Notice the band clamp on the resonators in each photo– Compare to where yours are placed and you may too need to perform this modification).

BEFORE

AFTER

Here is a quick walkthrough of what is involved with this modification/fix.

Step 1: Remove the resonators and mounting hardware (band clamps & springs) that holds them inplace. Set them aside in a safe place.

Step 2: Remove the coupler clamp holding the Y pipe in place and clamping the 3rd portion of theexhaust system. Once the 2 – 14MM nuts are loosened up, you will need to pry it open with a flatscrewdriver.

Step 3: Remove the 14mm bolt & nut holding the Y portion of the exhaust via the welded hanger. This isattached to the frame of the Slingshot near the battery. Carefully remove the Y section from the vehicletwisting it to clear the angle drive and frame. Once fully removed from the vehicle, remove the redbushing washer form the welded exhaust hanger and set aside.

Step 4: Secure the Y section of the exhaust in a vice or similar fashion in order to cut off the weldedexhaust hanger tab. I used a small cutoff wheel attached to my dremel and took my time. Be sure towear eye protection!

It may be necessary to grind off any sharp edges left once the tab is removed. Be cautious and don’tgrind too heavily in the area. It is not necessary to remove the welds completely as they will be hiddenfrom view once reinstalled. Note orientation of the tab and once removed, slip the new 2” clap providedby Jeff over the end of the Y pipe.

Step 5: Loosen the coupler clamp holding the 3rd portion of the exhaust to the 2nd portion. This is closerto the transmission. Carefully remove the 3rd portion of the exhaust. You will cut off the male section ofthe 3rd portion of the exhaust the distance you’d like your exhaust moved closer. The preferred tool is apipe cutter large enough to cut 2” pipe. Using a hack saw or saws-all is not recommended. Be sure toremove any burrs left inside or outside of the remaining pipe.

In my case, I conservatively cut 1” off the male end of the pipe and figured if I needed more, I couldalways go back and repeat. Remember the saying, measure twice; cut once! It DOES apply here.

Step 6: With all coupler clamps in place and left loose, rehang the exhaust system. Be sure all pieces fittogether snuggly. Start by attaching the 2” welded hanger you just installed and attach that to theframe. Leave the clamp portion loose around the exhaust for now.

Note: I had to trim a small portion of the bushing washer so it sit flat against the newly provided hangerclamp. I basically flattened a portion of the outer diameter of the bushing material. Also due todisfigurement, I trimmed a tad off the cylinder piece that gets inserted into itself.

Twist and apply pressure to each piece until it is seated. Tighten all 3 of the coupler clamps and thentighten the 2” hanger clamp. Reinstall the resonators (rear cans), replace the compression springs andband clamps. Now pat yourself on the back and pop open a beer!

Here is the end result. As you can see I went from a gap of 1 7/8” down to 7/8”. This tells me my exhaustwas installed tightly the first time. Jeff Recommends a gap of between 1⁄2 “ – 5/8” and claims it will notharm the rear plastic being that close.

Files

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

Edited once, last by 2W2X1 ().

• @rabtech maybe this should be moved to the DIY section?

"Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• Thanks for this, it is good information. I'll measure mine tonight. I know I have hit it hard enough on a dip to dent one of my cans. And mine look like your first picture, with the bands towards the rear of the can.

Alpha Supercharger is still spinning fine... it gets rode hard, every time.

• Ok how can I get in touch with them so that I can get what I need to make this adjustment because this rubbing issue with my duals is irking my nerves to put it lightly......?

Call or send PM to Jeff Welter. You can also contact slingshot only and ask. They acquired the rights and product supply for WP.

• I had an issue with mine....I did not cut the bracket...

But I did remove an inch of pipe. Can’t remember which one I cut now....sorry

If your pipe is too close to the bathtub you might see some plastic melting in spots.

I split the difference between the tire and the tub.

You may also want to get a rear end protector plate from our very own slinglow to prevent the melting and dress up your rear...really nice product.