SlingShot Helmet Laws for the States I will Drive Through to Maggie Valley

• We are going to drive the Sling to Maggie Valley. We will leave Louisiana and travel through Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia and North Carolina. I was wondering what the helmet laws are for these states. Since the laws have been changing for auto cycles. Can you guys tell me what the laws are in these states other than Louisiana. :?: Thanks

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• We are going to drive the Sling to Maggie Valley. We will leave Louisiana and travel through Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia and North Carolina. I was wondering what the helmet laws are for these states. Since the laws have been changing for auto cycles. Can you guys tell me what the laws are in these states other than Louisiana. :?: Thanks

North Carolina, Georgia and Tenn. require HELMETS. In North Carolina some people are doing without the helmet but it is still required.

• Alabama law is unclear (undecided). State trooper pulled us over and ASKED us if we were supposed to be wearing helmets, a very nice LEO, who said he wasnt trying to be a "richard" but, wanted us to be traveling safe and leave with helmets if required by law.. (we told him we had helmets in storage compartments) after he did his own research on the unclear laws of alabama, he called his superior for an answer. His superior said the law could be interpreted as either.. to let us go. That was the second time we were stopped without helmets, by a state trooper. No tickets yet, however both times were not on the interstate. If we travel interstate, we wear helmets just because a rock hitting our forehead is not desired.

All motorcycles are required to wear helmets in the state of alabama.. a motorcycle is defined by alabama law as having a rider and passenger front and rear, with no enclosure.
    Autocycles are defined as having side by side seating, a steering wheel, and feet enclosed, and do not require helmets if equipped with seat belts.

Therein, lies the unclear laws.. it is registered as a motorcycle, but it does not fit the definition of a motorcycle.

Better to be safe than sorry, and wear the helmet, a police officer at some point will write the ticket and let the judge decide.

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• We dont wear helmets unless on the interstate... if your traveling interstate even in a state that doesnt require helmets... not that a helmet will prevent your death, but it would prevent flying objects, and yield a small amount of additional protection.

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

Edited once, last by Guardian_Angel ().

• LEO in Maggie Valley... we found out last year they are pretty lenient on helmet requirement in the valley area... @Guardian_Angel and myself donned helmets any time we went outside of the valley just to avoid any down line hassles... LEO in Maggie Valley was pretty lenient toward us as a group but if you went stupid, they would step up...
    Read that as... lighting up a donut or two on main street.

See you at SSITS 2017.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

Helmets in NC!

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• Folks: Helmets are currently required in NC. However, just as a matter of info, I offer the following on what is going on in NC : This is from Raleigh " RALEIGH - Motorcyclists ages 21 and older wouldn’t have to wear helmets under a bill that passed the N.C. House Transportation Committee on Monday. This info was put out on Apr 24, 2017.

Understand that is now has to go to the House Insurance Committee and not sure after that. I have read that if it passes, it will become effective 1 Oct 17.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Read more here: NC motorcycle helmet law: House votes to loosen restriction for bikers over 21 | News & Observer is a house bill now

• Folks: Helmets are currently required in NC. However, just as a matter of info, I offer the following on what is going on in NC : This is from Raleigh " RALEIGH - Motorcyclists ages 21 and older wouldn’t have to wear helmets under a bill that passed the N.C. House Transportation Committee on Monday. This info was put out on Apr 24, 2017.

Understand that is now has to go to the House Insurance Committee and not sure after that. I have read that if it passes, it will become effective 1 Oct 17.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Read more here: NC motorcycle helmet law: House votes to loosen restriction for bikers over 21 | News & Observer is a house bill now

You can follow that bill here: North Carolina General Assembly - House Bill 91 Information/History (2017-2018 Session)

However, this is the bill I WOULD LOVE to see become law (it's sitting in the Senate committee right now). North Carolina General Assembly - House Bill 214 Information/History (2017-2018 Session)

This was the stack as of yesterday... not sure if HB214 is in there though. :(

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• @Bubblehead, Polaris still shows the Slingshot as being a motorcycle in Georgia. In my state, also TN and NC, it's now an Autocycle in those states. As I understand it, that is what makes the laws different for the Slingshot. Once a state adopts the Autocycle term, then they can make laws specific to the Slingshot (Morgan, T Rex). If Polaris's info is correct on their website, then helmets are required as far as I know.

But if it happened recently.... Polaris might need two weeks to update their site.... hahaha! :D

• I live in ga they are required as of now. I ride without one most of the times here in Macon. On the freeway I wear one. Also when I leave Macon I wear one. Leo here have not said anything to me about not wearing one.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

• Food for thought...helmet still required in NC.

When Failure to Wear a Helmet Violates State Law

If you ride without a helmet in a state that has a mandatory helmet law, your violation of the law will typically amount to negligence on your part, and that may limit or totally bar any recovery against other negligent drivers.

In some states, the injured party's contributory negligence is a complete defense to a personal injury lawsuit, meaning the defendant (the person being sued) can have the lawsuit dismissed by showing the motorcycle rider was also negligent. The handful of states that still adhere to this harsh rule are Alabama, Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia, and Washington, D.C.

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Info

• Thanks Ross ill post a pic of my 2018 slingshot grand touring le as soon as I figure out how add it to the profile
    also would appreciate any links to vid's on how to change the ngle drive oil just hits the 500 m. mark.

• Thanks Ross ill post a pic of my 2018 slingshot grand touring le as soon as I figure out how add it to the profile
    also would appreciate any links to vid's on how to change the ngle drive oil just hits the 500 m. mark.

Just use the search feature for a lot of Vid's from @samowens44 on just about anything that you would like to know on the Slingshot

Ric.... Manual calls for first change of angle drive at umpteen thou miles; many of us do it sooner and more often but would suggest you wait till you get a couple thou or so to let the gears (there are only two) wear in a bit. Motor oil and filter is at 500 mi tho.

18 SLR Lemon/Gray
    Vanderhall Venice (traded for SLR Apr '18)
    '16.6 SLR LE (traded for Vanderhall Oct '17)
    '11 & '14 Can Am RT's
    60 Years of 2 Wheeling