New SS owner ... OMG, HOW MANY RECALLS ON THIS THING ?

• Good morning everyone. I purchased my SS (base) Jan 5. It had 24 miles on it. Drove it yesterday for the 1st the time. Steering is off, I have to keep the wheel perfectly still to go straight. I am aware, and in line, to get a swing arm replacement.
    WHAT DID I BUY ?? IS THIS A RECALL MAGNET ?
    Would more than welcome a call from anyone who has owned one of these for a while.
    FYI, the worst SS dealer in Ohio....
    Clinton County Motorsports
    6002 N. US HWY 68
    Wilmington, Ohio 45177
    937-283-2220
    Would appreciate a call...Thx, Phil 937-830-4693

• Welcome to the forum @thunderspeed - it's good to have you. Like many vehicles the Slingshot has had a couple of recalls. Finding a great dealer to deal with the recalls and other Polaris imperfections is key. You've got a great source of knowledge with this forum. Most importantly enjoy your ride and don't sweat the small stuff a good dealer and this forum will get you through it even though at times it might be temporarily frustrating

• @Ross is right - the recalls are usually to insure overall safety and none of them have required us to stop riding.

There are some quirks, nuances, and gremlins that some have experienced but you can work through them.

Find a good dealer and get out and ride.

• @thunderspeed I felt the same way you did after purchase ~> 5 recalls out the gate!! I was like, wow, Polaris really dropped the ball... BUT, once you're right as rain with repairs, your "fun meter" is going to SOAR!! *Not sure if you know it yet, but you're part of THE BEST forum for SS support... These folks are all heart <3 and VERY knowledgeable!

WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!! :thumbup:

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• Welcome to the Forum,
    Recalls can be a little pain... but in the end - these SS are a blast. Find a dealership you trust...and stick with them. Start personalizing your machine and get to RIDING!!! the funniest vehicle I have ever owned... Enjoy

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• Welcome to Slingshot world and the good people on the Info forum. Now if your steering wheel is not centered that is a first indication that you need the front end alignment. The advise is to find someone/dealer that does the laser alignment. You do not want a dealer that does not have the laser doing your alignment. Good Luck and Ride Safe

• Don't forget the most important recall that applies to EVERY slingshot sold. They have to replace the nut behind the wheel. But there's no way ANY slingshot owner is EVER going to have that done. This things are just too much fun! Any doubts, just rent one for a day and people will never look at you the same way again.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Welcome to the family @thunderspeed. I have been around since the beginning. I was first in Michigan to take possession of a Slingshot (Nov. 22nd 2014) and somewhere around 20 over all. I am on my second Sling do to poor weather driving.

There has only ever been one "stop ride" order on a recall. Polaris got everyone back in the saddle pretty quick on that one. There have been about 15 recall/tool tips(Polaris internal heads up to dealers). Being on the Forum will have you showing your dealer where to find these in their system. There has been two times I told my dealer about something before they knew about it, even though it was in their system. The people on this forum will help you through any problems (they are usually small). A lot of us have been here from the beginning and have seen every issue pop up and know how to resolve them. Most part replacement issues do take time to get parts, but only have your Sling down for hours or maybe a day at the dealer.

These things will hold a corner to the point that you'll back off because you fear physics are bound to catch up with you. They hold really well. The one safety concern that you should know about is Heavy Rain/sleet. Many have driven in torrential down pours without incident. I did on my way home from the first SSITS . That being said, you will get no warning from the Slingshot that conditions are too bad. It won't slip a little in the rear, it won't give that momentary wheel spin. When there is deep, wide standing water spots on the road, you are playing "Russian roulette". If your time comes, it will just start rotating, as if on a lazy Susan. The back does not kick out, the whole thing will just start turning and you will continue to rotate until you , hit dry ground, run out of momentum or hit something. It is not a violent rotation, it is quite slow, but no inputs from you will stop it.

The Slingshot and this community will change your life. If you don't want positive change in your life you may want to take it back to the dealer.

If you want to enjoy a ride that is different from anything you have driven. If you want to build relationships with people from all over the Country and even abroad. If you can handle a few small hiccups, most of which this community will help you through. You should keep it, enjoy it, make it your own and get ready to have your phonebook grow and your wallet shrink. ;) Forum family love and mod addiction are both very real. :D

Edited once, last by WOLF ().

• @thunderspeed I don't know where you are from or if you are making plans to go to Maggie Valley but @Noel Hughes and Fernando are gonna be there doing recall work. You will be hard pressed to find anyone that knows more about a Slingshot than Fernando and Noel will take good care of you.

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Welcome, what are these recalls you speak of :whistling: Seriously, I can see how ya might not be happy, but once corrected you will have fun with machine. And for PEOPLE, questions, answers and everything else you've found the right place :thumbsup:

I Have No more toys, just memories.... :/

• Welcome, what are these recalls you speak of :whistling: Seriously, I can see how ya might not be happy, but once corrected you will have fun with machine. And for PEOPLE, questions, answers and everything else you've found the right place :thumbsup:

Well said @BONES ... @thunderspeed... this team here.. we gotcha.... ur going to have a blast with this machine!!

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• Just got mine too and have three recalls scheduled plus pinion seal, but at least polaris is stepping up to the plate,there where problems with my ford that they still refuse to admit, and brp had to be forced by government to fix there problems so I will grin and bear the recalls and be grate full for polaris for fixing them besides I haven't had this much fun since my v8 vega hot rod days :-)

Update just got call all recall parts are in and I am scheduled for 26 drop off and 27th pickup :-) looks like pinion seal, backup camera, fuel clip, swingarm,and one other seal.Will update after picking her back up will be so glad to get rid of the drip from pinion seal LOL feeling like a harley marking my territory.

Edited once, last by jimr ().

• I purchased my Slingshot at Clinton County Motor Sports and have had nothing but great service and friendly people from day one. All recalls done quickly and picked mine up and brought it back in 1 day , all in a enclosed trailer. Just saying.

• First off welcome! I certainly won't discount the number of recalls as it can be a pain. I will tell you I bought a new Ram cummins diesel in 2013. I am currently standing at 9 recalls including one that "could cause loss of control and injury or death". It also includes don't slam you door to hard or turn the steering wheel to many times or you will get an airbag In your face lol. The fix was a joke. It cost twice the price and wasn't handled any better than Polaris has handled these. The good news is parts are coming in for the sling and the techs should (hopefully) have it down to a science now. Good luck and smile!

• @thunderspeed you may contact @roadog1aj he lives in OH and ask him which dealer he uses, I'm not sure where you live in relation to @roadog1aj also welcome to our great forum.

Hey there @thunderspeed!! Welcome to the forum!!! Sorry to hear about your negative experiences with your Sling, and also with that particular dealer!!! Don't fret....the various issues with the Sling can be fixed once you find a dealership you are comfortable with. I see you might be more towards the south west portion of Ohio. I believe there are several reputable dealers within about 1.5 hours of you. I'm in the far north east of Ohio and my dealer is about 40 minutes away in PA. If you are interested and don't mind the drive, you can check them out:
    Northstar Power Sports in Hermitage, PA (724-962-6001)
    Great group of people and they have quite a bit of experience with steering issues, brakes, etc, and how to fix them.
    They might be 2+ hours away from you, depending on where you live.
    Hope you find the perfect dealer and get your Sling fixed properly so it meets all your expectations!!!! We love our Sling and wouldn't trade it for anything!!!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• @thunderspeed welcome to the forum. The recalls on your sling are pretty painless other than the swingarm replacement. Mostly because of lack of supply. You're going to enjoy this more than any vehicle you've ever owned. It has its quirks for sure, but they're not show stoppers. Curious as to what you're referring to on your steering. There was a big issue early on that they solved with an ecu flash dealing specifically with the steering. The problem was it would stick on center. I'm assuming you didn't buy this brand new? If you did, you do well to stay away from that dealership as they were not supposed to sell them without the recalls done to them. There was a stop sale, but not a stop riding order issued. A good reputable dealer will take care of the issues.
    For anything else or questions you may have, you've come to the right place. The friendliness and willing to assist anyone amongst this brother and sisterhood of SS owners is astounding at times. I love many of these good folks here as I would any family member. No other forum or group of individuals has ever come close to what we have on this forum. Kick back and enjoy the ride. :thumbsup:

• Welcome @thunderspeed. I don't know about Clinton County but we had a not so great experience with Iron Pony Motorsports. They carry 14 brands and so they concentrate on volume NOT individual customers. That means they are in no hurry to help and certainly don't care if you are happy or not.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke