Any thing I need to know re: Alpha Shorty install?

• Finally got a Alpha Shorty header and wanted to check with you good people to see if there are any tricks I need to be aware of. Remember, I work on people not cars so my mechanical abilities and knowledge are sometimes embarrassing. That being said, I saw @rabtechs reminder to use anti-seize on the O2 sensor and he mentioned a special socket, so I need to pick one of those up as well. Anything else? I already have the new gaskets, ordered them with the header... Should I be putting anything on the manifold studs and flange bolts - loctite, anti-seize, nothing? Also, there is a thin metal plate zip tied to the flange of the new header. Do I use it instead of a regular gasket or do I use both? (See, I told you - remedial student)

Thanks in advance folks and happy Slinging!

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

Edited once, last by aobfarm ().

• you won't need a special socket but it wouldn't hurt, just no need to purchase a new tool unless you want to.you can use regular wrench just can't remember the size right now and some anti seize on the threads of o2 sensor is definitely a good idea, and you definitely don't want to put any lock tite on any of the nuts that you have to pull off stock manifold to perform install. and be careful when tightening manifold back to motor the motor is aluminum along with the studs i believe as well so you want to make sure you don't over tighten. and the metal gasket is reusable so i would use that one .

Powered by ALPHA :WHITESS::TURBOSS:

Edited once, last by jluna317 ().

• Finally got a Alpha Shorty header and wanted to check with you good people to see if there are any tricks I need to be aware of. Remember, I work on people not cars so my mechanical abilities and knowledge are sometimes embarrassing. That being said, I saw @rabtechs reminder to use anti-seize on the O2 sensor and he mentioned a special socket, so I need to pick one of those up as well. Anything else? I already have the new gaskets, ordered them with the header... Should I be putting anything on the manifold studs and flange bolts - loctite, anti-seize, nothing? Also, there is a thin metal plate zip tied to the flange of the new header. Do I use it instead of a regular gasket or do I use both? (See, I told you - remedial student)

Thanks in advance folks and happy Slinging!

BE VERY careful if you're going to put anti-seize on the oxygen sensor. If you don't have experience doing this, you might want to take it slow and safe. You only need a little and it MUST stay on the threads of the sensor it will kill the sensor and cause all kinds of engine issues. You could even go so far as to wrap the end of the sensor with a clean rag (must be clean and a new one would be a good idea so there's no chemical fumes to interfere. Or you could just wrap the end in newspaper to do the same thing. Then apply just enough anti-seize so it covers the threads when you screw it in. Take your time and you'll be fine. Good luck

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• At 6'2" with bad joints, it's easier. Especially since it is header, Canadian kit, new CAI and cleaning up some earlier wiring.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

Edited once, last by aobfarm ().

• NP, 1. You're not an old timer that would know my back story and 2. Had no way of knowing that I was doing more, so I didn't get upset when you were busting my chops. Watch out for @Tripod though, he's craaazy!

• Glad you posted this thread @aobfarm, I will be "gophering" :S

for @airoutlaw while he installs ours Wednesday :cursing:

Let us know how it goes, it looks simple... but so did the clamp on baker air wings that we ordered..and recieved every piece and fastner assembled bassackwards. :00008862:

:REDSS:

(You clicked on it, didnt you Tripod??? :00000441: )

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• Done. @Guardian_Angel the toughest part was holding onto the tiny little nuts (no @Tripod , down boy!) as with my monstrous hands I lost two of them into the skid plate. Have a variety of extension lengths, a short and deep well 13mm socket and if you have a ratcheting 15mm box end wrench for the back flange bolt you'll be happier. You cannot get a socket on it.

HTH,
    Mike

• Sorry to bump an old thread but I am gearing up to install my alpha header and depending on how that goes my welter rear exhaust this weekend or next. I can't find the tightening sequence or the correct inch pound settings on here. Can anyone reply back with that info please? Thank you!!