Less than a year ... Freaking ECU issue is back, code 065620

• Here is a comment I made back in August of last year. Dealer had my SS for over a month until they agreed it was the ECU. Link to the thread.... Hope it works.
    well it doesn't .... Go figure. Basically she dies pulling out into traffic and goes into limp mode. Turn her off , let sit for a minute and re-crank.

Anyway damn thing tripped again this afternoon. Right hand turn off the clutch and into the gas. Same damn thing as last year. It progressively got worse and was rather dangerous pulling out into traffic. I'm at a loss for words if I have to go through this same damn shit again.

5V grounding ... If you look at the GM OBDII conversion it's an issue with the ECU. Didn't fix the problem last time until they replaced the unit. Now I have to wonder if there is anything causing the failure. Only things electrical I have modded were LED driving lights ran through the factory location with correct relay and switch, and the resent switch to low volt for turning off the factory driving lights with engine running.

angry-squared

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• I'd be willing to venture that you have something else going on.........
    I am day 27 in the shop. Each "fix, my tech drives the crap out of it, trying to force a failure
    new battery cables......... not fixed
    new fuses.................... not fixed
    new ESP unit- because the diagnostics said that that was my problem - reflashed ECU....... no fix
    going pin to pin- found a couple others loose------- no fix
    found 2 small cuts in infotainment center harness- got Polaris to spring for one, . In transit..... Tech said not good enuf. He wants new infotainment center........... after digging heels- Polaris having one shipped from mfg. (Oh- shit- I hope that is not China or Taiwan.)
    My gut says that the ECU may have an issue now- but it is only a symptom of some electrical gremlin.......
    FYI CEL light on- Polaris could not root cause, 800-3800 mile. went away in spite of all their "fixes"
    Just under 14000 miles- all hell broke loose with electrical on mine. Are they related? Probably. JMO

• @NatomasSlingshot1 hate to here that..... Just don't want to go through that same crap again. They never found the cause other than possible the ECU being bad. I agree that the odds of two bad ECU's is slim. At 7000 miles it's a little less than when it happened before but not by much. First thing is to disconnect everything I have done and reinstall the Stock intake. They tried to say it was the CAI last time and didn't want to cover it under warranty. @Wrenchmn I did use the Canton guys but I'm gonna try the India - Slingshot dealer that's open in Cumming GA. They are unfortunately owned by the same parent company but the guys seam to know a little more.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• They tried to say it was the CAI last time and didn't want to cover it under warranty. @Wrenchmn I did use the Canton guys but I'm gonna try the India - Slingshot dealer that's open in Cumming GA. They are unfortunately owned by the same parent company but the guys seam to know a little more.

I remember that now. They did not impress me so far . I hope Cumming can figure it out fast . SSITS will be here soon.

• what is your VIN? Mine is 3541....... red sl.... you got an infotainment center?

Mine is a very early one number 886..... I do have the info center. Last two days it's been acting a little funny when streaming music from my phone (Bluetooth). It cuts in and out from time to time. The USB also does it as well. No way it can be tied into that $2000 plus turd. Could it?

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• wanna friction bet????????

that harness goes to steering , gages, probably tied into ignition, ECU, your glove box plug, all audio........
    I'm not saying FOR sure that this is my issue- Tech unplugged from ECU, and every other important place........ drove it, and there was no light show, no red lining gages, no - no brakes, no ABS, no traction control lights..............
    We will see.... soon I hope........

• I am really thinking that that frickin' thing has been the root of my electrical probs............
    when going up the freeway- after the dam light show while having it floored to get on- I touched the volume control at the same time.... I had 2 more light show episodes within about 10 miles. Turned the radio OFF, and ride uneventful................ maybe coincidence, maybe not......

• Might just need to unplug the thing altogether and see what happens. Hope it hasn't already jacked the ECU again. Very interesting... Would have never thought to tie that thing as a possible cause.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• Can't freaking sleep because I fear the same damn scenario is going to play out. Polaris and the Dealer can't do anything until it fails completely .... And I'm freaking stuck somewhere. Come to think of it I don't recall ever getting my free roadside service notification. Love my wife but damnit if she wasn't the one that insisted on the freaking SL and that POS info system. Hell the first week the damn backup camera went up in a cloud of heat and smoke inside my garage. I just happen to be next to it when it happened. All the heat and smoke was inches away from the gas tank.
    Just need to stop thinking about it.... Just pisses my off to no end.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• Would have never thought to tie that thing as a possible cause.

mine said bad ESP------ doubt anything was wrong with the old ESP unit- got the same results with the new. That is total BS- about not being able to do anything until total failure. Mine NEVER total failed- just scared me sh#tless. Mechanic tore into in without verifying the light show failure. If you have a skinned wire. or a short somewhere, you may never have "TOTAL FAILURE". IMO- DO NOT ACCEPT that answer

• just FYI..... if it is infotainment related...... screen has separate electrical connections. The display screen is the ONLY portion that Polaris wanted to replace, along with the harness, until tech threw a sh%t-fit.... Only then did they cave, and agree to the entire unit (which really chaps my a$$- I am sure that the unit is under warranty from who-ever mfg it, so it ain't on Polaris' nickel)

http://cdn.polaris.com/service/docs/9961084r01.pdf

• where can i find the information? the ecu is pretty important and expensive id like to see what happened so i know too. i cant afford to be told i have to pay for a new edu because i did something wrong and its not the ecu

• thats just it. This tripped code has not been attributed to any one cause at this time, that I'm aware of. As @NatomasSlingshot1 noted it seams to be attributed to a grounding issue somewhere ( get this ) in the vehicle wiring harness. Almost every function has some tie into the ECU so a tech has really no clear starting point when looking for the cause. I'm removing the Infotainment system (disconnecting) to see if it has any effect. It's one of the few harnesses that can be isolated easily (relatively speaking). Mine was acting up slightly (2 second cutout when streaming Bluetooth) for day and then I had the 065620 code appear and it stalled into limp mode pulling out into traffic.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• good luck with the test......... Of course- just on the off chance it drives fine this weekend........ no guaranty the problem is isolated... THAT is the most frustrating part about these damn things.
    Be safe- limp mode could get ya killed!

• @NatomasSlingshot1 Moving our conversation back over here.

Hope they resolve your issue. Even if the loaner is a POS they gave you one. Last summer I was without mine for over a month with nothing to show for it.

With the Radio disconnected I'll see how long it takes before it fails again. Its possible the Radio is also an affect and not the cause. Does sound like whatever is tripping it might be the same and therefore an issue somewhere in the assembly process either on the assembly line floor or even back stream in a sub-components suppliers assembly line. Not all are affected but I do think Polaris might be aware that they have a problem but without an answer are just hopping it will go away.

Wonder it I can get a deal cut for an extension of my warranty based off this problem?

(Slingshot Owners Group)