Alpha Supercharger Initial Impressions/Review

• That is a good baseline number. There are a few of us running higher numbers safely with un-forged motors.

I have a turbo set up, but its my understanding that the there is pulley wheel attached to the SC that can be changed out to increase/decrease boost. I believe this is DDMs kit they sell that is on the "safest" side, but I have heard of a few folks who, like @Slingrazor are running some higher numbers without issue. As it's been mentioned before, all forced induction has some inherent risks, so I'd personally say it all boils down to which dice you want to roll. It's all about calculated risks.

• I have a turbo set up, but its my understanding that the there is pulley wheel attached to the SC that can be changed out to increase/decrease boost. I believe this is DDMs kit they sell that is on the "safest" side, but I have heard of a few folks who, like @Slingrazor are running some higher numbers without issue. As it's been mentioned before, all forced induction has some inherent risks, so I'd personally say it all boils down to which dice you want to roll. It's all about calculated risks.

Our DDMWorks kit operates at a lower boost level and makes the same or more power as the other kits running a higher pressure level. Our supercharger is a more efficient design. This has been demonstrated in other threads so I will not go into that here.

We also believe that we the developers of the kits should be the ones taking and making the calculated risks on our development vehicles so you the customers don't have to weigh the risks.

I can not say that our kit is 100% safe but I think the statistics speak for themselves.

Jeff Mellor
    DDMWorks
    119A Highway 183
    Piedmont, SC 29673
    Orders - 864-438-4949
    Tech Support - 864-907-6004
    www.DDMWorks.com

• Our DDMWorks kit operates at a lower boost level and makes the same or more power as the other kits running a higher pressure level. Our supercharger is a more efficient design. This has been demonstrated in other threads so I will not go into that here.
    We also believe that we the developers of the kits should be the ones taking and making the calculated risks on our development vehicles so you the customers don't have to weigh the risks.

I can not say that our kit is 100% safe but I think the statistics speak for themselves.

And you have to remember the DDM SC has been installed in the Soltice for many years. It is not a new technology or develemental process at this point. It is more of perfecting the product at this time.
    There is a reason I have drank the DDM koolaid. If I kill my engine, it will be my fault because I took it to far un-forged. At that point, or before, I will rebuild with a smile on my face.

• So have you all determined the cause of the meltdown? Was it actually a failure or defective Alpha Unit or was it something else like a faulty connector or sensor? Perhaps a problem with the install?

Not yet. Have a few other slings to finish up before I can start in on @jaytee 's

I will post what we find as soon as we find it.

Jeff Mellor
    DDMWorks
    119A Highway 183
    Piedmont, SC 29673
    Orders - 864-438-4949
    Tech Support - 864-907-6004
    www.DDMWorks.com

• @TheRock - and if you have a "Friday built" ecotec motor.

There seems to be some variability in build quality and you never know until you try. As you say, there is inherent risk no matter the boosted route you take.

@Live-a-Little! - I have the JonV (VIEngineered) turbo and it has been nothing short of awesome! I know some people have had some motors pop with it though. I must have gotten one of the "lucky" motors. I have hit 13 or 14 PSI a few times. It has quite a bit of boost creep! But I have been able to get it under control. I put a 3lb spring in my wastegate and installed a baffle. This has made it so my boost creep is controlled. Really hammering down on the throttle I get 10 -11 PSI of boost. I drive it responsibly, but I haven't been easy on it. I have driven it pretty hard at track days and I do consistent pulls up mountain roads and such. I always keep a close eye on my AFR and my Boost levels though. If it ever doesn't look right I pull out of the throttle quickly, but the fun factor has been amazing! I may be flirting with disaster, but I'm gonna have fun with it regardless. I have also taken some other steps towards (relatively) cheap insurance, such as switching my coolant to Evans waterless coolant and adding an oil cooler based off @lrobbi's recommendations.

• You can run a ton of boost through these little engines until you get a smidgen of knock. Then it's like dynamite and will rapidly disassemble itself for you.

I personally couldn't see trusting the stock engine at over 9psi for someone that wants to hold the pedal to the floor. Maybe if they use it sparingly and get out of the gas fairly fast when it's under a load. And that is with ARP headbolts.

However if you have a perfect day and have 93 octane and the stars align perfect you may be one of the people that say "I run 14psi and never have a problem". You can have those days.. But they will bite u in the butt. The first time you hold the gas pedal too long. Or the first time you heat the engine up just a little more than usual.. Or when you get a tank of 91octane instead of 93.

I personally would stay under 9psi and enjoy it if my engine was stock

• @Live-a-Little! - I have the JonV (VIEngineered) turbo and it has been nothing short of awesome! I know some people have had some motors pop with it though. I must have gotten one of the "lucky" motors. I have hit 13 or 14 PSI a few times. It has quite a bit of boost creep! But I have been able to get it under control. I put a 3lb spring in my wastegate and installed a baffle. This has made it so my boost creep is controlled. Really hammering down on the throttle I get 10 -11 PSI of boost. I drive it responsibly, but I haven't been easy on it. I have driven it pretty hard at track days and I do consistent pulls up mountain roads and such. I always keep a close eye on my AFR and my Boost levels though. If it ever doesn't look right I pull out of the throttle quickly, but the fun factor has been amazing! I may be flirting with disaster, but I'm gonna have fun with it regardless. I have also taken some other steps towards (relatively) cheap insurance, such as switching my coolant to Evans waterless coolant and adding an oil cooler based off @lrobbi's recommendations.

I probably should have also mentioned that I have about 16,000 trouble free miles on this turbo as well. (Knock on wood or bang head on wall :00008862: ) I'll probably blow my motor on the way home from work today now that I said that! :00008356::00008172:

• You guys talk about psi like that's what matters. Noobs, and I'm sorry to call you out particularly but it's said here way to often. PSI doesn't mean shit, turbo's and blowers flow CFM. 9psi on an Alpha or Hahn kit 9psi on a blower- Alpha or DDM, 9psi on my EFR kit, all very different volume in CFM. Boost is a terrible reference of what one should run max to not blow your motor. And we wonder why people have blown motors, lack of education!

Again sorry to call you out on it but I know you can take it, some of you need forced induction 101 like whoa!!!!

-Shawn-

• You guys talk about psi like that's what matters. Noobs, and I'm sorry to call you out particularly but it's said here way to often. PSI doesn't mean shit, turbo's and blowers flow CFM. 9psi on an Alpha or Hahn kit 9psi on a blower- Alpha or DDM, 9psi on my EFR kit, all very different volume in CFM. Boost is a terrible reference of what one should run max to not blow your motor. And we wonder why people have blown motors, lack of education!Again sorry to call you out on it but I know you can take it, some of you need forced induction 101 like whoa!!!!-Shawn-

Shawn, Please educate us!! Where can we get CFM gauges to monitor how much air is being shoved down the throats of our shitty motors!

• You guys talk about psi like that's what matters. Noobs, and I'm sorry to call you out particularly but it's said here way to often. PSI doesn't mean shit, turbo's and blowers flow CFM. 9psi on an Alpha or Hahn kit 9psi on a blower- Alpha or DDM, 9psi on my EFR kit, all very different volume in CFM. Boost is a terrible reference of what one should run max to not blow your motor. And we wonder why people have blown motors, lack of education!
    Again sorry to call you out on it but I know you can take it, some of you need forced induction 101 like whoa!!!!

-Shawn-

I really like your expertise in these matters. You make a great product that I would have liked to purchase if your price point wasn't so far over the top. We are now 2 years into the development of Slingshot power and you are just starting to let us know how we are so wrong in our thinking. I look forward to your release of a reliable power option that would be affordable to most of us on the forum to back up your words.
    I was not being sarcastic when I said you have a very good product line.
    I also would not have posted this if I thought you would not understand.

• Shawn, Please educate us!! Where can we get CFM gauges to monitor how much air is being shoved down the throats of our shitty motors!

It won't be on a gauge, it will be general info from the specific turbo or blower. Look up the model specifically and the manufacturer will list what CFM that unit flows. It's all based off the size of the compressor wheel. I'm just saying to not take 9psi as 9psi across the board for all setups available for the Slingshot. For example, 9psi on my EFR kit is flowing over 20% more volume than an Alpha kit at 9psi. Lots of things play a roll, mainly how strong the torque spike is that takes out most motors. The harder and sooner boost comes on will typically cause more harm to weak components as the engine and vehicle has less momentum. Once everything is moving in unison you can lay into the power and keep motors happy, even weak motors. Boost controller tech has added many user adjusted variables as years pass to help smooth out the onset of boost to make everything happy and smooth.

Most people think lag is associated to a bigger turbo, yes true to an extent however flow efficiency plays an important role in this as well. A larger turbo can out spool a smaller more spikey variant just using proper flow dynamics. Modern turbo tech also helps with this by incorporating different ball bearing designs, lightweight materials IE billet comp wheels, Ti exhaust wheels, v-band inlets etc.

It's a complicated process, just because you can bolt an FI setup together and everything connects doesn't mean you've covered essential pieces of the process.

• @FFShawn my skin is way to thick for you to hurt my feelings. All I was trying to explain was the more air you shove into these engines the closer to perfection you need to be. BUT I guess you could also say that you can pump any amount of air flow into an engine as long as the engine gets the correct amount of cfm at the perfect time in the firing sequence.