40mpg Slingshot!

• I miss the NoVA roads, like 688 off I66 down to 29/211 west of Warrenton. I also miss 619 from Independent Hill to Triangle. 218 from Falmouth to 301 and then up to Maryland to La Plata and 6 West to 224 to 225 to Indian Head Hwy up to 495 back over to NoVA. Most Texas roads around Houston are too flat and too straight. I need to ride about 40 miles away to get to some fun roads. I also miss riding from the Front Royal area over to West Virginia and down to the Green Bank Radio Observatory and back over to the Harrisburg area.
    While I was stationed in West Berlin in the 1970s, I had a 1971 Fiat 850 Sport Coupe that was a ton of fun while getting decent mileage. At least it was fun until I blew up the engine! We shoehorned 6 people into it after a party once to get everyone home! I followed it up with my first new car, a 1976 Pontiac Trans Am 400 White w/red interior (unfortunately, I didn't order the Firebird decal). Mileage wasn't that great and neither was acceleration since it had a 2.41 rear-end, but it would cruise the Autobahn all day at 100 mph/3000 rpm! I should have sold it before we came back to the States as the German price was almost 2x what I paid for it thru the PX ordering service. I traded that in on a 1976 Ford Granada with the 351 V8 and four wheel disc brakes which I think was a test bed for the later 1977 Lincoln Versailles. I got a 1981 Toyota Corolla SR-5 Hardtop after that but then ended up with several minivans for kid's activities.
    One of the things I like about the Slingshot is the 2.4L power, but I'm disappointed that it doesn't do better on the highway. The guy who just put in a high-revving Honda motor should be getting both performance and mileage, although the tendency to enjoy the performance does negatively impact mileage. It is possible to have fun performance and mileage, just look at the Mustang, Camaro or Corvette highway mileage with engines around twice the size of the Slingshot's. With the Slingshot's light weight and overall fun/performance numbers, I'd be happy if the Slingshot had highway mileage closer to 30.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Grave digging this thread... :headstone::headstone::headstone:

For a LONG time I was getting mid 20s MPG, since buying my SS new. A few months ago, I broke through the 10k so the engine is officially broken in. My display is now reading 43 which seems to me like bullsh*t.

Granted most of my rides are highway (commuting; what a glamorous life I lead), but it doesn't make sense for it to be that high.

• Something might be wrong. Best I EVER got was about 35mpg. And that was driving it super easy at 45 in a 55 zone. (I hated that drive.) I usually average 22-25mpg depending on the driving type. My most fun was getting <17mpg. Now I've got a turbo so I'm expecting <15mpg, or 10 if I can really push it. . . .

• Grave digging this thread... :headstone::headstone::headstone:

For a LONG time I was getting mid 20s MPG, since buying my SS new. A few months ago, I broke through the 10k so the engine is officially broken in. My display is now reading 43 which seems to me like bullsh*t.

Granted most of my rides are highway (commuting; what a glamorous life I lead), but it doesn't make sense for it to be that high.

I have to agree that does not seem possible.

I have no point of reference myself because I am boosted with much larger fuel injectors. I don't even know what I am getting for mileage - just drive it like a boat estimated fuel used per hour. Not that helps you.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• A neighbor of a friend of mine bought a new car. My friend would slip next door at night with a can of gas and add gas to the guys tank. The neighbor was telling everyone the great mileage he was getting. When he told the dealer the dealer said that was impossible. My friend finely told him what he was doing.

My ss is getting 28.5 but I drive it easy. The ten miles with the emergency brake on to day probably brought that down.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• I can officially state that 40mpg is complete and utter bullsh*t.
    On mostly highway riding treating the throttle gently; I got a hair over 28mpg. Calculated with miles traveled vs fuel to fill up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I always got 34/35 but now going to get maybe 25 due to supercharger install. I'll find out when riding season starts. On short trip around lake I only got 25.

I've been thinking I'll be low 20's with turbo, was 26/27 before and like you haven't really tested it yet but with keeping RPM higher and yeah turbo it's going to be hard to drive in eco mode.