• My only concern with telling them they are financially responsible is that they may refuse to work on the sling. And can we actually hold them to it if they do. Maybe we need to word it more gently.

Hey @Bill Martin if we put a warning on the ecu that says if you screw it up you have to pay to fix it can we hold the dealer to it.
    If you know anyways would be helpful.
    Thanks in advance.

So the Slingshot has several consumer warnings - like the helmet advisory between the seats ..... IMHO if I admitted that i read the warning, elected not to follow the advisory, had a negative experience because of my disregard, and then sued Polaris because I did not follow the warning I think i would be laughed out of court.

For those with a custom ECU the protection of that flash starts with a conversation with the dealer to make sure they understand and are ok with not re-flashing it .... if they are then the warnings are just a heads up and a reminder for that tech assistant to go get someone who knows better or to not touch the damn thing ...... just MHO

sent from the Bader Badger, FAST red slingshot

• So the Slingshot has several consumer warnings - like the helmet advisory between the seats ..... IMHO if I admitted that i read the warning, elected not to follow the advisory, had a negative experience because of my disregard, and then sued Polaris because I did not follow the warning I think i would be laughed out of court.

For those with a custom ECU the protection of that flash starts with a conversation with the dealer to make sure they understand and are ok with not re-flashing it .... if they are then the warnings are just a heads up and a reminder for that tech assistant to go get someone who knows better or to not touch the damn thing ...... just MHO

sent from the Bader Badger, FAST red slingshot

Ohhh yes for sure.. I just want that extra layer of protection...after I remind them at the service desk when I drop it off. Just something to say ... "hay wait a minute there slick"

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• I've been wrong a time or 4, but I find it hard to believe that if the tune was discussed with dealer, possibly even noted on service ticket and (2) warning labels and it got flashed over. That one couldn't force them to replace the custom tune on their dime.. actually think it would be a no brainer that they are responsible for replacement at their expense.

Powered by Hahn Racecraft BFB Motor, Stage V Turbo, Street Race Manifold w/ Port Fueler. WHP 4++ LOADED!! :WHITESS:

• Just a warning... Shouldn't be funny, because then they'll think it's a joke, move it out of the way, and keep going...

Again:

"WARNING! Custom ECU. See Owner/Service Notes. DO NOT FLASH or shop will be held responsible."

• I've been wrong a time or 4, but I find it hard to believe that if the tune was discussed with dealer, possibly even noted on service ticket and (2) warning labels and it got flashed over. That one couldn't force them to replace the custom tune on their dime.. actually think it would be a no brainer that they are responsible for replacement at their expense.

The thing is, if they just flat out refused to pay for it, you'd have to find a lawyer or take them to small claims court. Either way, costs money and time. Then it becomes a matter of at what point does it cost more trying to hold them responsible for their actions. I believe you'd have a good chance of winning, but at what cost. Unless you just have the time and money, it would most likely become a matter of principle very quickly. Sadly, I'm learning that a lot of times you are at the mercy of businesses doing the right thing because they want to (for whatever reason), not because they have too. I will say that the age of the internet is making it easier for consumers to hold business establishments more accountable. I recently heard a survey that said Millennials trust online reviews more than the words of friends or family. (Please don't ask for the reference, I don't remember the exact details, but that was the gist of it.) To be clear, I think the dealership would be responsible for correcting the error, but I just don't have a lot of faith that a lot of places would actually act responsibly.

• I like this from previous post:

@FunCycle - I have this label across my ECU. It's a bit wordy, but here goes...

"Warning! This ECU contains custom ECU flash values. Do not program anything to this port that could change the ECU flash. No service to this vehicle should imply permission to flash the ECU without expressed written permission. If the ECU is found to be flashed or programmed in such a manner as to change the values, you will be responsible for any cost associated with returning it to its previous flash values."

Also as others have stated maybe just a simple WARNING CUSTOM ECU please DO NOT Flash, at under dash plug.
    At the end of the day, regardless exactly what it says....as long as its close, I'd bet we're lined up to get them!