Aftermarket radio antenna

• First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who has helped me along the way. Truly an amazing group of folks.

Last question for today. I have a base model and installing the rear camera, got all the parts and wiring harness to install an 4200 NEX. I just realized that I don't have an antenna and the radio comes with an antenna adapter/connector but I don't have on. Is there a recommendation on what I should go to get radio antenna?

Little lost here so I'd appreciate hearing what others have done with a radio install on base model.

Mike

• I'm going to need a new antenna as I have a radio that will pick up DAB+ (Digital Audio Broadcast) radio signals (not yet in the US).

Screen mounts are avalible but don't appear to work too well. So I will be going for a "shorty" one, as above.

It will need a 20mm mounting hole through some metal.

I know that I'll need a ground plane for it, but can anyone recommnd a good mounting point?

All the best, from UK_Paul

• Last summer My dealer put in a NEW back up camera ... reception not perfect but much better ... can actually listen to the radio.

My dealer changed the camera, last year, too. It slightly improved reception but the radio kept re-setting to the US set up. (No good to me in the UK).

I was considering mouning the new aerial to the wing mirror stem, but suspect it will not have a decent ground plain catictoristic as it is not a big flat sheet of metal, like a car roof.

Can anyone help?

• Generally speaking, roof mount antennas work best simply because the roof tends to place the antenna as high as possible and is usually also relatively flat, meaning no obstructions to impact reception, but on the Slingshot, even if you have a roof, there isn't much to function as a ground plane. The hood is probably not a good place since a hood mount would place the antenna close to engine noise. In my mind, this leaves the rear deck as the best location. It has a metal framework underneath the deck to support any metal reinforcement/ground plane you may want to use for the antenna. The only potential problem I can see would be the need for an extension cable to reach the radio and any impact that might have, if any, with DAB reception. I have seen DAB extensions up to 5 m, so i assume the extension shouldn't cause any problems.

Here are a couple Google Searches for High Quality Car Radio AM/FM/DAB antennas - LMGTFY

and

AM/FM/DAB antennas for fiberglass body vehicles - LMGTFY

Since the Slingshot doesn't have a conventional metal car body, the link for fiberglass vehicles may be more useful.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I'm going to need a new antenna as I have a radio that will pick up DAB+ (Digital Audio Broadcast) radio signals...

I know that I'll need a ground plane for it, but can anyone recommnd a good mounting point?

According to this link - Best mobil antenna for fiberglass body car - The RadioReference.com Forums - Post # 2, some aluminum tape can be applied underneath the rear deck so that the antenna tightens against the metal tape and forms ground plane using the aluminum tape. I believe I have seen some ground planes that were made from metal strips and laid in a radial pattern around the base of the antenna, so you shouldn't need a solid piece of metal if you feel the rear deck plastic is strong enough to adequately support the antenna.

• Thanks @BKL
    That's some useful advice. I'll take a look at what the SS looks like, under the rear deck. I like the idea of radials made out of metal tape, stuck under the rear deck.

I am also now considering the possibility of using the ally. "Rear Protector" that @SlingLow has made. This would give a substantial ground plane, but would leave the antenna liable to rock damage, thrown up from the rear wheel. Therefore I don't expect to be able to do this. - Unless you all have some better ideas -

The plate would work great and the arrow shows where I'd like to put it, but it is bound to get damaged, so looks like a no go.

• @UK_Paul here is a pic with the rear deck removed. There is an aluminum subframe that goes around the rear to carry the deck that has been cut off this wrecked one, so this may or may not help.

I guess we are talking about "item 5" in the picture below @SlingLow

Now that I'm looking at the picture below... I wonder if it may be practical to line the areas marked in red, with aluminum foil/sheet.

The foil or sheet could then. in turn, be earthed to the frame through the bolts that hold the role hoop (items 3 & 4 in top picture) to the sub-frame. The aerial would then protrude through the top on Item 5, using the foil underneath as the ground plane.

EVERYONE!
    Please feel free to tell me if this all looks wrong, (as if it works, it may prove to be an after market fix that we can all use).

• I guess we are talking about "item 5" in the picture below @SlingLow

Items 5 and 8. Both are square tube aluminum. It looks like you're on track - there is plenty of room under there for flat sheeting or tape. I do not have issues with radio reception on my 16.5.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Thanks @SlingLow I have just put some ally foil (specially for this sort of work). Looks like I'll be taking the back off then.

Do you know if item 5 (top pic.) makes contact with the underside of the panel, item 10 (bottom pic.)?

• I believe so but I think only at connection points, not all along the subframe. Mine is showing bumps in the deck just inside the tail lights that I plan to have my dealer look at. I tried to capture it in this pic but it's hard to see - just to the left of the tail light hump. Has anyone else had this issue?

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I can see what your saying @SlingLow
    The picture also helps with understanding the relative size of things too and that is dead helpful. I rely think that I may be on to a winner now, with all the help everyone is giving.

I've ordered some "Ground Pane" aluminum tape and I have good idea of how I'm going to do it all now. (A little complicated to explain, without pictures.

More investigation this weekend and then hopefully I can move forward.

THANKS !!