Attention Turbo Owners..Exhaust Fumes on Turbo Slingshots?

• Well the wifey finally had the last straw today with the exhaust fumes.. After the alpha turbo kit was installed the exhaust fumes have been a real problem for her. I can actually smell it on my side at times as well. We have had to pull over for a bit before because she was getting sick from the fumes.

The exhaust system I have is the one that comes with the alpha kit that dumps out at the passenger floor board. Does anyone else have passengers that complain about this? I have thought of about completely cutting the muffler section off and running a straight pipe to the back. However I don't know if this will have any negative impact on the engine besides of course it being louder. I also thought about adding a pipe where the current exhaust dumps and routing to the back too but doesnt seem like there is enough room for that with how close the muffler is to the ground already.

Anyone have any solutions or suggestions that have dealt with this? @Turbosling?

• If you dump it out the back, you're going to have the same issue that the Welter folks are having with it coming back in. I have the Side exit exhaust from Alpha and don't really have a problem with fumes. We get occasional fumes in there but there's too many factors that can influence that. She did complain about the fumes the first couple of rides, but I think that was more from the muffler burning in than actual exhaust coming in the cabin. In heavy traffic, pfffft, Forget it! we're sucking on everyone else's fumes since we're pretty much at eye level with several vehicles.
    Hope this helps a bit.

• @Fast Orange doesn't have a turbo however he did have the welter dual exhaust and was having the issue of fumes. He however modified it and got rid of the dual and did a single exit down by the swingarm/wheel. He said he noticed a big diff. I too thought about doing this but didn't know if I would have any negative effects on the turbo setup.

• I think the key is to get the fumes into the slipstream so they exit out the side and back. That's why the side exit does a pretty good job at it. There's a welter version that does what @Fast Orange did (I think) that also remedies the situation.. again, getting it out into the vehicle's slipstream seems to do the trick.

• The fumes are more because you have deleted the cat than adding the turbo
    I am running a side exhaust and do not have an issue, yes sometimes in high heat and traffic.
    But my wife rarely complains of fumes - she does turn blue and fall asleep a lot but I do not see a negative to that

I have run side exhaust with both N/A and Turbo did nor see much of a difference from either

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

I am running a side exhaust and do not have an issue, yes sometimes in high heat and traffic.
    But my wife rarely complains of fumes - she does turn blue and fall asleep a lot but I do not see a negative to that

I have run side exhaust with both N/A and Turbo did nor see much of a difference from either

:00008356: I wasn't going to mention that, but yeah, I consider that a perk :thumbup:

maybe I will see if its cheaper to buy a side exit or modify the one I have now..

I wonder if there is any negative effects besides being loud if I cut the muffler, run a straight pipe to the back.

• You know another member brought it to my attention that it could be my windshield. I am running the f4+4 now. I am going to put on my factory tinted ripper windshield that came with my LE to see if that fixes it

• I am looking at ordering my F4+5 here with my tax return.

Is this an issue that will raise it's head with the stock muffler, non-boosted?

Slightly off topic, but this is where the question was raised.

• I am looking at ordering my F4+5 here with my tax return.

Is this an issue that will raise it's head with the stock muffler, non-boosted?

Slightly off topic, but this is where the question was raised.

Shouldn't be an issue. If I remember correctly, I didn't get any more or less with the stock vs the +5. What you don't get is very much airflow into the cockpit so for you it will be nice, for me, I'm thinking i'm going to put the lower shield on for summer. I suffer in the heat. :(