Brake Caliper Cover Mod

• For those of you who aren't happy with the embossed and painted on bolt heads of the MGP Brake Caliper Covers or have shied away from them because of it, here is a simple mod that improves their looks dramatically.

Stock Cover

I simply center punched the embossed area and drilled it out with a 1/4" drill bit, dressed up the backside with a file and then used JB Weld to epoxy some Stainless Cap Head screws in place. I specifically used M6 x 8mm Low Profile cap head screws, but I'm sure you could use an imperial size as well. There is plenty of clearance front and back. I like the low profile heads on the cap screws because, (1) it allows additional clearance between the screw head and the wheel and (2) it gives the illusion that the bolt is countersunk into the caliper. The 8mm length was the shortest I could find, you just want to make sure there are enough threads protruding through the backside to allow the JB Weld to key into the threads for a better grip. When applying the JB Weld I first put a small bead under the head of the bolt and let that set up. I did this to get the bolt positioned correctly and to hold it in place when I flipped them over to epoxy the backside. I then applied a generous fillet of JB Weld on the back making sure to work it into the threads and against the metal backing.

I think the finished product looks much better than the stock version. Only time will tell how well the JB Weld holds up in this environment, but even if I have to replace a bolt every now and then I think it was well worth the effort.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Ben Franklin)

2002 FatBoy FLSTF
    2016 Polaris Slingshot

• These are the ones from SlingMods. Not cheap, for sure, but a heck of a lot less than going the Big Brake kit route! You can do a google search for MGP Brake Caliper Covers, they make them for a lot of vehicles, priced about the same as these for most makes.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Ben Franklin)

2002 FatBoy FLSTF
    2016 Polaris Slingshot

• I bought a set of these when they first came out. I went into a curve really fast and I guess the little metal clips that hold em on must have flexed and the cover hit the inside of the wheel scuffing a small corner. Hate to think what woulda happened if they came off. I can't tell you if it is their fault or I didn't put them on right but I took em off that day and they been sitting in my shop ever since. If somebody wants em lemme know - I'll send em to ya - for a forum bro - no charge !!!

@MiM - I'll bring em to ya if ya want em

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• I bought a set of these when they first came out. I went into a curve really fast and I guess the little metal clips that hold em on must have flexed and the cover hit the inside of the wheel scuffing a small corner. Hate to think what woulda happened if they came off. I can't tell you if it is their fault or I didn't put them on right but I took em off that day and they been sitting in my shop ever since. If somebody wants em lemme know - I'll send em to ya - for a forum bro - no charge !!!

@MiM - I'll bring em to ya if ya want em

I have had mine since they first came out also and I have never had a problem. If I had the new covers I would have done the same thing, drilled and added the real socket head