Idea for double rear axle nut cover

• I will draw it up and quote it, I can send a sample with the hose clamps I am sending you also.

$100??, these will probably be atleast $300 with the Slingshot markup ;) Actually, I would guess they would sell for around $35-40, but I should know next week once @mytoy tests out the sample we will send him

We talk about to two different things, one thing is the hose clamps, and the other is the rear axle double nut cover.

Do not resent growing old. Many are denied.... The Privilege :REDSS: :SUPERCHARGERSS: : :HEADERSS: : :COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch

• Good idea and should be relatively inexpensive to manufacture. I noticed it appears to use a row of setscrews to secure the inner nut. Why not add a second row of setscrews to secure the outer nut as well? That way the cover serves to set the two nuts against each other to maintain their tightness, while presenting a prettier view to the world. The outer row of setscrews could be angled in so that they place lock pressure on the outer nut to resist loosening with the inner row of setscrews threaded straight in to maintain pressure between the two nuts.

• Good idea and should be relatively inexpensive to manufacture. I noticed it appears to use a row of setscrews to secure the inner nut. Why not add a second row of setscrews to secure the outer nut as well? That way the cover serves to set the two nuts against each other to maintain their tightness, while presenting a prettier view to the world. The outer row of setscrews could be angled in so that they place lock pressure on the outer nut to resist loosening with the inner row of setscrews threaded straight in to maintain pressure between the two nuts.

Great idea, that way is elegant and functional.......

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Because you don't know where the top nut will be in relationship after it is torqued to specs. the set screws are tightened to the lower nut watch the more closely please

That's why I edited my post to address the fact that you don't know exactly how the outer nut will be oriented. By angling the setscrews, they should be able to act against the outer nut regardless of its position.

• That's great @mytoy, just keep in mind if you or anyone plans to make and sell them. You will have to change the symbol on the front. Polaris will go after you/them. That is why some of the early Alpha and Cycle Springs items are special. They had Slingshot emblems on them before a "cease and desist" type letter was sent to them from Polaris.

I think the logo @mytoy has on there is different enough that polaris couldn't say anything.

• That's why I edited my post to address the fact that you don't know exactly how the outer nut will be oriented. By angling the setscrews, they should be able to act against the outer nut regardless of its position.

Well Why reley on the outer "nut"? the screws will hold in place,...

Do not resent growing old. Many are denied.... The Privilege :REDSS: :SUPERCHARGERSS: : :HEADERSS: : :COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch

• The original Nut cover worked to prevent the single nut from rotating. Polaris' new Double Nut solution isn't aesthetically appealing. By adding a second row of setscrews to your new Nut cover, the two rows of setscrews will each secure their own nut. The inner setscrews can be perpendicular to the inner nut's sides as you show. The outer row of setscrews would not be perpendicular since it's pretty much impossible to determine who the outer nut will position against the inner nut once it's tightened against the inner nut, as you pointed out, so I suggest angling the setscrew holes so the outer ring will lock against the outer nut and prevent it loosening. I hope my pic helps explain what I mean.

• I see what you you wish for, but you have to remember that that the top and bottom nut's are not always lining up the same (torque) . To the same time I would use set screws with self locking property's .
    And this means for a double nut cover not to prevent that they can become loose.

• @mytoy - I believe what @BKL is suggesting is 6 set screws... 3 as you already have them and then 3 more for the outer lock nut (the one furthest from the shaft. Orientation of the double nuts wouldn't matter, because your piece would fit over both nuts and each of the axle nuts would get 3 set screws to prevent them from moving from where they sit after your device is installed.

• @mytoy - I believe what @BKL is suggesting is 6 set screws... 3 as you already have them and then 3 more for the outer lock nut (the one furthest from the shaft. Orientation of the double nuts wouldn't matter, because your piece would fit over both nuts and each of the axle nuts would get 3 set screws to prevent them from moving from where they sit after your device is installed.

I believe you explained that perfectly! It seems it would be more stable as you and BKL described!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• That's why the angle method would work for the other nut... But if you just secure the back one, and there's no room to move inside the cover, I don't think the nuts would move.

Mine haven't moved and they have no cover... Ask my wife! :P

And my old single nut never moved either...