• I have my belt set at 1" deflection (cold; factory spec is 0.63") with vehicle on ground. It doesn't get tight as a guitar string when hot now & no issues with belt jumping. This is much less stress on rear bearings.

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• gotta ask why? Messy & if issue it breaks and whips can cause damage. That's the big reason why companys got away from chain

You have to be careful of what you THINK you want. It may not cost much to have the chain, but it's cost 100 times as much to get rid of it once you change your mind

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• I also had the belt jump a tooth under hard acceleration, shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Man, what a loud POP too!!! I tightened the belt just a little and haven't had it happen since. That was over 3,000 miles ago.

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• You won't slip the belt. Heat up that slick good and light the VHT on fire and get it sticky. Your weak link is going to be the final drive or the transmission I fear. I hope not. If it last through a bunch of launches then I'll feel better about my setup

Actually I have already slipped my belt with my slick on. Pretty much tore the teeth on belt. Which is a reason why I want to upgrade to a even stronger Chain. I don't just want a chain. I want a strong one to handle the Launch with all this HP I have.

If anyone on here can get me in touch with someone I can buy a chain kit from. I really was hoping I would not have to develop one myself.

Slingshot LIFE!!! #SlingshotHouston Find us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Youtube

• Actually I have already slipped my belt with my slick on. Pretty much tore the teeth on belt. Which is a reason why I want to upgrade to a even stronger Chain. I don't just want a chain. I want a strong one to handle the Launch with all this HP I have.
    If anyone on here can get me in touch with someone I can buy a chain kit from. I really was hoping I would not have to develop one myself.

I suspect that if you are slipping and stripping, then:
    Either the belts not set up just right or you will need an even more industrial one than you have as standard. (These are carbon fiber and can fail if not set up 100%).
    Most engineering drive systems of this sort of power are using belts nowadays, unless they have "slow start" drives fitted (I gess you wouldn't be looking for a slow start).

Hopefully that helps.
    Let us all know how you get on, with the project.

All the best, from UK_Paul

• I'm not sure I follow all this belt jumping and slipping. Yall need to tighten that thing up. I can't make mine jump a tooth with 500hp. And I have ran a solid steel clutch disk. Now granted I haven't put a drag slick on mine.....But I have heated the 555 Nitto up on a prepared VHT track and give it a pretty good thrashing.

Boss Hoss uses a belt to connect a 1400 pound motorcycle to the road with a 572 big block in it.

Get you a new belt and wind that belt adjuster tighter. ...... :D

P.S. I'm glad yall are testing that final drive units strength. It's sounding like that is not going to be the weak spot. Especially with yall breaking teeth off of the belt...

• When you run the belt too loose it will jump cogs. Running cog belts loose increases wear on the pulleys, when they become worn they slip even easier. Pulleys are a wear item will need replacement someday, premature wear just makes that day come faster. A chain also wears the sprockets and will need replacement someday also and when the chain jumps on a worn sprocket it breaks.

If you really want something stronger than these belts, start looking into harden double row chains and pay the dollars. Otherwise tighten the belt up some so it will not jump the cogs, a bearing is less expensive than a chain and a chain will be just as hard on the bearings when you launch.

• It is something that we have Zach looking into here and he is doing some CAD mockups and running some numbers on how that setup would work, estimated pricing and tradeoffs. We are also looking into some upgrades for the current belt system on the Slingshot now at the same time. As we go along if we have any info to share that looks promising we will let everyone know :)

• Bob - Bullet Speed - did a main part of those shown chain conversions, I modified/finished the one on Richards (UP) and the red one for Wayne's, different uprights than Bob's and I also incorporated the ebrake cylinder and reservoir into it. Contact Bob about it, I'm not sure if he'd want to make another one or not, I can supply any of the billet pieces I did. The main extension and modifying the belt drive hub would have to be Bob's.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info