Is it Easy to STEAL a Slingshot?

• My insurance company wants a RiDiCuLoUS amount of money to cover all of my aftermarket modifications since my modifications are more than double the value of the slingshot in stock form. My buddies 2010 Gallardo has a cheaper insurance for christ sake. I'm most likely going to get LoJack / drone w/ alarm w/ separate battery backup. Other people were talking about electronic line lock for the brakes? What other options do I have? Can someone just walk up to it, pop the hood and hot wire a few wires within minutes and drive it away? I don't plan on leaving it anywhere sketchy overnight and it's parked in my private garage always at night.

I always ride safe sometimes!

Toys in the Sand Box:
    2016 400hp Alpha Turbo Sling
    2016 BMW s1000rr - Austin Racing
    2015 AR 240 Jet Boat 4,000watt Stereo
    2002 CBR 954
    2003 CRF 450

• just got off the phone with Progressive that has been jacking me over. Know I just got hit with a "GA" requirement fee for uninsured motorist that my normal policy covered. I needed to sign a waiver form (that I did) in Nov. and sent to the underwriter. Progressive claims they never received it and billed me $254. Called them up and after 30-40 minutes the guy found my signed form but said he couldn't refund me the $254 unless I cancelled my policy.... WTF so hell yes I'm going to cancel.... Now shopping for insurance again.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• I have found nothing theft proof. We only have locks on our doors to keep honest people out.

Ain't that the truth. My dad used to say something much the same based on his experience as a cop.

That and he used to advocate the judicious application of a 230 grain slug at 850 feet per second to center mass, and a drop gun for the corpse's right hand to make it justifiable, but that's neither here nor there....

• just got off the phone with Progressive that has been jacking me over. Know I just got hit with a "GA" requirement fee for uninsured motorist that my normal policy covered. I needed to sign a waiver form (that I did) in Nov. and sent to the underwriter. Progressive claims they never received it and billed me $254. Called them up and after 30-40 minutes the guy found my signed form but said he couldn't refund me the $254 unless I cancelled my policy.... WTF so hell yes I'm going to cancel.... Now shopping for insurance again.

Let me know what you come up with. I'm looking too.

• My problem getting a good rate is that I let my motorcycle license lapse about 10 years ago. So, I had to get my learners permit again. Now I have to wait until I pick up the sling to take my test, so they want to rape me on insurance.
    Catch 22. Can't take my test without the sling, but can't get sling without overpriced insurance.

• I didn't know they classified the SS as a motorcycle still in FL.

We do ... in all ways and legality ....

However my "motorcycle" comment was referencing its original design parameters, intent, and federal safety requirements ....

Remember when it was designed and released there was no "autocycle" classification ... which is being used as reasoning to raise insurance rates in states that have adopted it ....

EDIT: Funny we are talking about insurance.... my annual renewal just showed up in the mail. Went down again this year ... so now for two listed riders, perfect records, both with MC endorsement over 10 years, homeowner, high credit rating, owned in full, liability/comprehensive/theft coverage, low deductible, 12 month policy, its $225.68 .....

With it being owned and a MC in FL we don't even have to carry insurance if we don't want to but at that price why not .... grin-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

Edited once, last by Orangeman ().

• If you are veteran or a relative of a veteran look into USAA. They have been great to us on the rates. As far as getting it stolen I agree with the other users as it can get taken by any douche bag with a trailer. Luckily nothing notorious has happened to mine.

• If you are veteran or a relative of a veteran look into USAA. They have been great to us on the rates. As far as getting it stolen I agree with the other users as it can get taken by any douche bag with a trailer. Luckily nothing notorious has happened to mine.

Unfortunately USAA will not insure motorcycles anymore (at least in FL). They sub to progressive (sub may not be right word). I had progressive direct, and was forced to go through USAA so I could get an umbrella policy. My price went up.......

Not the fan of USAA that I was thirty years ago.

If somehow you do have USAA for the sling, would love to know how. My gut says you may live in a state that considers the sling a car.....but hope their is an option.

Thanks

• There are times I wish we had things simpler here in Canada. Some things are so much better with competition, but not always.

Here however, our auto insurance is currently covered by our provincial Auto Insurance company. Complete coverage bumper to bumper without issue. If owning a new vehicle, and something occurs in the first two years, you get complete replacement cost coverage, including taxes. This covers accidents, fire & theft.

If you carry the proper insurance, then windows and glass claims have substantially reduced deductible fees, although to be honest, I do not know how they classify the windshields on the Slings as it isn't actually glass. Now I am not wanting to have a stone hit & crack my windshield, however, if it were to occur ... I should look into this prior to that I think.

And of course, wildlife damage is covered at no cost, which given the Sling's height, could come in handy for anything from raccoons to deer.

All of this comes in at $1200 for me. Which would be equivalent to around what $750-900 or so in the US?

And, while no MC license is required to drive this machine, I do have mine and have held it for years.

For Mod's, you can add increments of $1000 to the purchase price of the vehicle up to $10000, but beyond that you would need to hold a private insurance to cover excess.

• Unfortunately USAA will not insure motorcycles anymore (at least in FL). They sub to progressive (sub may not be right word). I had progressive direct, and was forced to go through USAA so I could get an umbrella policy. My price went up.......
    If somehow you do have USAA for the sling, would love to know how. My gut says you may live in a state that considers the sling a car.....

USAA is ensuring our Sling, and VA considers them autocycles. I'd have to look at the detsils, but I believe it's running $800-900/yr. Pretty steep compared to what some people have reported, but we insure everything through USAA, and I just haven't gotten off my dead ass to look for better rates on the Sling yet.