Water-Methanol System

• I was wondering what people's thoughts of running a water-methanol system on a turbo slingshot? I have ran them on diesel applications and was impressed. I am local to Snow performance here in Colorado, so I think I might give it a try on the Sling.

• MY understanding of the mixture could be wrong, but I believe the water functions to delay the combustion process, yet the methanol is designed to produce additional energy. My main concern about using such a mixture would primarily be focused on the additional energy introduced into the combustion process by the methanol, since the ECU has no programming to allow for it. Might be a non-issue, but I'd want additional info before proceeding.

• From what I have experienced in a gas system is the benefit of the methanol mixture coming on as you see boost so you do not create a lean scenario. The mixture acts as 108-116 octane gas as it comes on, preventing detonation. I have an email into Snow Performance waiting to see what they might say. Wasn't sure if anybody has done it in a sling or I would be the first.

• Would gain you a few extra HP on a turbo setup. It would definitely keep the tops of the pistons clean :) ...You would have to run an ECU that knew you were adding it into the mix. Not sure if the stock ECU can keep up with an additional component adding in the mix. It may. But I'm not sure it would be worth the effort in our situation. Maybe

If one of y'all does it let me know how it works for ya..

• Just noticed your post. Keep us in the loop on how this works for you. I am curious.

rabtech I am running a Hahn at 9 p.s.I right now. I am mainly looking at the benefit of not going lean as boost is added more t h an anything. I am sure I will gain some power with it. Should have it installed this weekend.

• We have installed a lot of water/meth setups on the Solstice setups and definitely prefer water/meth over running E85 for extra power. The water/meth setup does some really nice things, it keeps your intake valves and pistons really nice and clean from carbon buildup, it effectively raises your octane and allows you to run more timing advance. Typically we see around a 10% gain in power when running water/meth when tuned for it. That being said, if you do not tune for the water/meth, you typically will actually lose some power since the octane is higher and the slower burning charge will not be taken full advantage of. Without tuning, the water/meth setup will help prevent detonation though, but a tune is highly suggested to take full advantage of the setup. If you have any questions while installing it, feel free to ask we have installed the snow and AEM systems quite a bit in the past.

Have fun with it!
    Dave

• Although I'd still like to see a comment on using a water/methanol injector, from Bob at MEFIburn, This is beginning to sound like it might have potential to avoid one of the biggest problems facing turbo users, so I'll be following this thread to see what happens.

• Yes, If you are tuned for it, you would always have to have it spraying. The controllers though are setup to typically start coming on at a certain boost setting and do not spray all of the time. We usually set them up to start spraying at around 6 psi and then the controller ramps up to the max boost psi. With the Solstice/Sky we typically tie the water/meth controller into the boost control solenoid, so when the water/meth tank is empty, or if the system encounters any other issues, it will limit the boost to a lower level that is safe without the water/meth. Then once the system is filled back up or the problem is corrected, the system goes back to full boost.

• Well the Snow kit is installed and I think my motor likes it, seems smother on the top end and don't have to wrory about detination as i build the boost. I have the stage 2 with vc-50 digital control. I have it start spraying at 3 p.s.I all the way to 8 p.s.i. I will have to find a dyno in my area to see if there are any true power gains, but as of now it is a great kit. I placed the motor and resovior in the passenger box. I couldn't find any spot under the hood that It would all mount.

• BKL the system utilizes a standard 3 quart resovior. With it only coming on at 3 p.s.i to full boost. One tank will last about 2-3 fillups. I am currently running just winshield washer fluid. It is 20% methanol. Snow does sell their boost juice which is 50% methanol. Their vc-50 control also doubles as a digital boost gauge.

• Well the Snow kit is installed and I think my motor likes it, seems smother on the top end and don't have to wrory about detination as i build the boost. I have the stage 2 with vc-50 digital control. I have it start spraying at 3 p.s.I all the way to 8 p.s.i. I will have to find a dyno in my area to see if there are any true power gains, but as of now it is a great kit. I placed the motor and resovior in the passenger box. I couldn't find any spot under the hood that It would all mount.

I know a shop in the area that can dyno it. I have been waiting till everything is installed before I go and have them dyno mine.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...