Got Pulled Over Today

• So the wife and I were riding around in the big city of Lake Charles. We were on the way home and a Lake Charles police car got behind me and then pulled me over. Gave me the lecture about wearing a helmet because the Sling is registered as a motorcycle. I explained to him about the State Bill that was passed last year but he had never heard of it. So I had enough and I told him my lawyer Mr. Bill Martin said that if the officer didn't want to listen then he could just pound sand up his ass. I told him where @Bill Martin lives and he was going over there to get him so he could get me out of jail.
    Just kidding on the pound sand bit but the officer didn't write us a ticket and he left educated on autocycle laws.

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• So the wife and I were riding around in the big city of Lake Charles. We were on the way home and a Lake Charles police car got behind me and then pulled me over. Gave me the lecture about wearing a helmet because the Sling is registered as a motorcycle. I explained to him about the State Bill that was passed last year but he had never heard of it. So I had enough and I told him my lawyer Mr. Bill Martin said that if the officer didn't want to listen then he could just pound sand up his ass. I told him where @Bill Martin lives and he was going over there to get him so he could get me out of jail.
    Just kidding on the pound sand bit but the officer didn't write us a ticket and he left educated on autocycle laws.

I got stopped not too long ago also by the State Police citing no helmet issue. Well I just happened to have a copy of Senate Bill 50 in my glove compartment. Trooper read it and thanked me for bringing him up to speed on the law. They are just tryin to do their job - they should be updated on any new laws enacted but many times are more in the dark than we are ;(

PS using my name could get the book thrown at ya :00008235:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• In Virginia if you have a hard top no helmet is required. It makes a top a must have item. You don't need one?

In Louisiana it is now legal for no helmet in a SS as it has been classified as an autocycle. However, in the infinite wisdom of our State Legislature it took them 2 times to get it right. It was, and is, in my opinion that if challenged legally the requirement of an "enclosed" top will not stand the test. To my knowledge no top is crash tested or propose to do so. Therefore it can be successfully argued that the stock roll bars are crash tested (even with a recall for not meeting specific standards) and that promotes no further safety enhancement which is the spirit of the law. I have hopes as the popularity of this vehicle rises there will be some type of national consensus so a driver does not have to interpret the law as he or she travels from state to state.

• They should be updated on any new laws enacted but many times are more in the dark than we are

I have that exact same gripe about police and gun laws, which is exactly why I cringe when people who are trying to find the truth about this or that gun law say "just call the local PD, they'll know." The truth is, they most likely won't know the most current laws, unless they use them frequently, or they've been recently trained on them.

When Dad was wearing a badge, when he was in community outreach and officer training, he used to tell me all the time that the average cop was current on less than 20% of the laws. They're all real strong on common misdemeanor, basic traffic, and some felony law. Some of the cops in the higher crime areas know more of the criminal law than others. Detectives who specialize in an area (like when my dad did the drug traffic in the area and worked with) might know more about that area. They just don't have time for other stuff - overworked and understaffed.

• I have that exact same gripe about police and gun laws, which is exactly why I cringe when people who are trying to find the truth about this or that gun law say "just call the local PD, they'll know." The truth is, they most likely won't know the most current laws, unless they use them frequently, or they've been recently trained on them.
    When Dad was wearing a badge, when he was in community outreach and officer training, he used to tell me all the time that the average cop was current on less than 20% of the laws. They're all real strong on common misdemeanor, basic traffic, and some felony law. Some of the cops in the higher crime areas know more of the criminal law than others. Detectives who specialize in an area (like when my dad did the drug traffic in the area and worked with) might know more about that area. They just don't have time for other stuff - overworked and understaffed.

Truer words never spoken my friend!! At the rate at which some jurisdictions repeal, change or modify laws - unless you are constantly in the loop - most LEO just go with what they know until proven otherwise.

• cop was current on less than 20% of the laws.

Truer words never spoken my friend!!

Can't disagree, each year laws change. Some officers, in that field, stay current. Other try to BS their way through it and hope for the best. Not right. How would you feel if your doc did that. Not beating up law enforcement but you should do your best or try everyday.

• Can't disagree, each year laws change. Some officers, in that field, stay current. Other try to BS their way through it and hope for the best. Not right. How would you feel if your doc did that. Not beating up law enforcement but you should do your best or try everyday.

A novel concept IMO - legislators try thinking a law completely thru before changing it over and over again confusing LEO, clogging the court with cases that have no business being there. Could it be that doing so generates lots and lots of money for lawyers......I dunno....could be ?(

• @Bill Martin what copy of sb50 do you carry? This is what I have: ViewDocument.aspx?d=977304
    Now is this bill a law and if so does this cover it or do we need to carry a copy of the law. I'm confused ?(?(?(

Yes Sir - that is the law! I have a copy saved on my phone but some LEO don't want to look at it if it is "off the Internet" so I printed it out and put it with my registration, insurance, etc. just in case you get a real hard ass. If you go to the very bottom of the bill you can see what statute number that was revised. Officers who stop you are still operating on the statute before it was amended.