Riding the SS when there is A LOT of salt on the (MN) roads.

• This upcoming thursday here in MN we will finally get a break in the weather department and have a sunny 41F day, the first thing that popped into mind is taking the day off to spend it riding the SS to do the break in or most of it that day.

Everyone who i mention that to says that i am crazy given the ridiculously high level of salt on the roads and how that is certain to ruin the SS due to the very likely poor coating/sealing on the frame.

Is there any truth to this, should i hold off until most of the salt is rinsed away by the melting snow, normally i don't ride bikes until june after the streets have been washed/sweeped .

Anyone else here in MN/WI planning on riding thursday? , Not looking for a group ride just advise on whether is ok or is this an ill advised thought.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I for 1 cringe @ the sound of sand salt hitting my machines. There is Truth to the Acid they lay on the roads and paint. I can't wait to get behind the wheel, but even when weather breaks, I wait for that big rain storm to wash the sand off roads ...But again this year @rabtech I'll have the front end protected :thumbsup: Almost through JAN and that much closer to Spring!!!! :00000441::00000436:

I Have No more toys, just memories.... :/

I live by the Ocean and just with the salt air it is a constant battle keeping corrosion in check at the weld points on the frame. Between the Slingshot, bikes, and Jeep I literally buy ACF-50 by the gallon.

I have ridden almost year round in northern climes, but with the SLingshot would do everything I could to avoid road salt and if your jurisdiction uses that other potassium based stuff stay off the road until its gone if you plan to keep it more than a couple years.

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Some have already talked about driving their Sling on the beach. IMO sand and salt are one the worst enemies of any vehicle. I like @Orangeman live not far from the Gulf of Mexico and if I leave my bride out in the yard very long she starts to rust along with everything else!! I had a buddy that had a big "Bubba" truck that thought it would be cool to drive through high salt water after a hurricane - it ran another 6 months and wound up in junkyard. I can't imagine what you guys up north go thru with the salt on the roads. If I liked my whatever vehicle I would keep it as far away from salt as I could.

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• I'm not looking forward to the 40+ temperature here in Wisconsin as it will just make me want to get the Slingshot out. The sand, salt, and brine mix that they spray on the highways will just eat away metal so I'll be waiting for spring storms to wash it all away

• I stopped to help a family out down here at Myrtle Beach, they were from New York. I though the wheel lugs had broke until I stopped and looked. The whole front end a-arms were rusted out and the one side had finally broke apart. I thought it was a fairly new car. They had just bought the car to come on vacation and their mechanic had checked it out

• That's funny cause my dad told me never to buy a truck from the south (Texas, Louisiana,) due to possible flooding causing electrical problems later on.
    If we never rode when salt was on the roads we would never ride from October to end of April. It's unfortunate but that's just the way it is

• That's funny cause my dad told me never to buy a truck from the south (Texas, Louisiana,) due to possible flooding causing electrical problems later on.
    If we never rode when salt was on the roads we would never ride from October to end of April. It's unfortunate but that's just the way it is

You got him on that one.

You got him on that one.

Yep @FunCycle he did and I must admit he is right - there has been hundreds - even thousands of cars that have been flooded out down here. Guess ya just gotta be careful any time you buy something "gently used" :00008359:

• Up here in Vermont, salt sucks. I've seen aluminum wheels destroyed after one winter. After 3 years, any metal exposed to salt is junk. Unless it is or has been undercoated with oil. I do that with my vehicles each year and they look OK after 4-5 years, but they still rust. I won't take my SS or bikes out till spring, and it rains hard at least 2 times to get rid of the salt.

• Some have already talked about driving their Sling on the beach. IMO sand and salt are one the worst enemies of any vehicle. I like @Orangeman live not far from the Gulf of Mexico and if I leave my bride out in the yard very long she starts to rust along with everything else!! I had a buddy that had a big "Bubba" truck that thought it would be cool to drive through high salt water after a hurricane - it ran another 6 months and wound up in junkyard. I can't imagine what you guys up north go thru with the salt on the roads. If I liked my whatever vehicle I would keep it as far away from salt as I could.

Bill, I agree that the salt and sand can do a number on metals. Just take a look at what it did to fabric after an hour on the beach

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• If the roads are wet and the salt is spraying up onto everything it's going to get into places where you cant rinse it off and will start to rust. If the roads are dry you can get away with a good washing after. I have and old 79 Bronco I drive for winter and I know the salt will lead to it's early demise.

• Imho, please wait. I live where salt is used every winter. Salt is very, very corrosive to the different metals used on our slings. If you have a garage to wash and dry it after you do take it out, do so immediately. Don't be Penny Smart and Dollar Foolish with your investment. It's worth the wait.

• OrangeMan how is the ACF-50 working for you? When i did my 10,000 mile oil change and visual inspection my frame looked fine except for a few minor scratches that i touched up with Rustoliem Rusty metal primer. Now that I'm doing my 15,000 mile inspection i have corrosion showing all over the place. Would like to know if i should go the ACF-50 route instead of the Rustoliem. Thanks

PAX SUPERIORE VI TELARUM

• OrangeMan how is the ACF-50 working for you? When i did my 10,000 mile oil change and visual inspection my frame looked fine except for a few minor scratches that i touched up with Rustoliem Rusty metal primer. Now that I'm doing my 15,000 mile inspection i have corrosion showing all over the place. Would like to know if i should go the ACF-50 route instead of the Rustoliem. Thanks

Not to butt in on @Orangeman s opinion but I live 30 miles from Gulf in SW Louisiana. I had a problem with corrosion and am very happy with this product. Give it a read

Eastwood Black Rust Encapsulator - Paint Over Rust