Traveling with Slingshot Law Question

• Does anyone know the answer to this query?

Slingshot registered in RI, does not require Motorcycle endorsement, but follow rules of Motorcycle laws and registered as a Motorcycle/Auto-cycle. If you were to travel to other States-MA, CT, NH, ME, VT or others would a RI owner without the Motorcycle endorsement be allowed to ride in those States. Or would you have to know the laws of those states to enter and exit? Realizing helmet law must be followed in the states, but what about the driver endorsement issue. Have always wondered about this since we purchased ours and I don't have the Motorcycle endorsement. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but we live close to MA and you need to have a license, so I have always (when I can drive it) stayed in RI and was wondering if I could cross the border into MA. Thanks!

• Not sure about other states, but in Vermont, you must have a valid licence with endorsement to operate on a public highway. Even if the other state does not require it. Same with insurance and helmet, if your state doesn't require it, and you don't have it, you may get a ticket

Federal law requires licensing and tag requirements to be reciprocal across all 50 states ...

In other words whatever your state requires must be accepted in all others as far as your SS being tagged as a MC, Car (not yet but IMO soon), or Autocycle as well as the required license, training, and endorsements to operate ..

Same as needing a special tag for pick ups in some states but not in others doesn't mean I cannot drive my FL car tagged light truck in PA ..... also some states do no require a MC license but issue MC tags ...

This does not cover helmet use ... with that you must comply with the state requirement in which you are riding since they are state laws dictated by each jurisdiction without a Federal blanket .....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• In Indiana you don't need a motorcycle endorsement for the Slingshot either. All states should honor your home state's law on how the license endorsement was ruled. In Ohio, only 8 miles from me, I believe you must have a motorcycle license or autocycle license endorsement. But they will honor Indiana's laws on endorsements regardless.

In my state, you can use the Slingshot to take a motorcycle driving test, or an auto test. The law states that the "Autocycle" must have a steering wheel, and seat belts for both rider and passenger, and can be used for either test. I have my motorcycle license, but if I didn't, I'd look into getting the endorsement using the Slingshot to do it anyway. With the Slingshot being relatively new, and the term autocycle even newer, there might be some gray areas. I have not run into any of them, other than it was a bear to get mine titled and licensed. They wanted to put a car plate on it, and at the time I had Corbin bags on it. There was no place for a full size license plate. It took me an hour and 20 minutes after handing them my paperwork to get my plate and get out of there.

• If your state does not require a motorcycle licence to drive the slingshot you will NOT have to have it in any other state. Helmet is completely different issue. However I can see where this could be easily challenged. If your state considers the Slingshot a vehicle that isn't a motorcycle and you don't have a helmet and don't plan on buying one because it's not considered a motorcycle then I would be the guy that traveled across all the states and never wore one. BUT THAT IS JUST ME..... I have always liked the "ask forgiveness and not permission" saying.....

This is a good question because if you are not considered a motorcycle in your state then all states have to have reciprocal agreement of that decision. Wouldn't they????

• The operator requirements are federally reciprocal while the operation of the vehicle is not. Basically this means if you are qualified to operate the Slingshot in the state that it is registered than you are good in all 50, states, while the operation (helmet, speed limits, right turn on red, etc.) is local jurisdiction regulated. Your operator's license must also be from the state the vehicle is registered. So you can legally drive the SS in MA, while a friend with a MA license with no MC endorsement can not.

#02828 January 2015 build date.
    Here to assist anyone in the Denver area.