Report your current weather here.

• Initial news reports here in Texas placed blame on Solar and Wind sources. Subsequent updates shifted blame to problems with natural gas powered plants couldn't get enough gas due to freezing lines and coal-fired plants had been taken offline for maintenance. Of course, the decisions to take capacity offline was made right before a storm forecast of extreme weather. Texas' power grid has long been isolated to Texas (to avoid Federal regulation applying to interstate grids) and therefore Texas couldn't bring in power from out of state. A Federal report in 2011 told Texas the power grid was not capable of meeting needs in colder weather, yet ERCOT (Electricity Reliability Council of Texas), composed primarily of energy industry members with some consumer and government members, failed to do anything. Expecting businesses to spend money that could be handled as profits, has contributed to this mess. Here in Harris County, there are currently somewhere between 1-2 Million people w/o power and neighboring Galveston County has had to order freezer trucks to hold all of the people awaiting autopsies, primarily needed as a result of having no power for 3 days straight with 80% of the county lacking power. Power failures are frequent enough here that a sizable number of power customers have backup generators. We live about 4 houses from a local water pumping station that has priority for electricity restoration, but folks across the street have reported being w/o power from some hurricanes for a couple weeks while we typically get power restored in a few hours on our side of the street.

We've also experienced water cutoffs due to broken pipes and lack of power for pumping stations. We frequently have boiled water notices due primarily to power losses or aging infrastructure. We have a private water service that charges approximately 3-4 times as much as we paid for the public water system in Fairfax County, VA before we moved here. In the 25 years we lived in northern Virginia, I don't remember experiencing more than a couple water outages, yet they happen multiple times per year here. The private water company places profits above infrastructure maintenance, but is now ready to raise our rates to pay for neglected infrastructure. Subsidence has also become a major problem here on the coastal plains with water pumping from deep wells causing the land to drop while also contributing to sea-water intrusion into wells. The area is slowly moving to above ground water sources, but that introduces another set of challenges.

• Initial news reports here in Texas placed blame on Solar and Wind sources. Subsequent updates shifted blame to problems with natural gas powered plants couldn't get enough gas due to freezing lines and coal-fired plants had been taken offline for maintenance. Of course, the decisions to take capacity offline was made right before a storm forecast of extreme weather. Texas' power grid has long been isolated to Texas (to avoid Federal regulation applying to interstate grids) and therefore Texas couldn't bring in power from out of state. A Federal report in 2011 told Texas the power grid was not capable of meeting needs in colder weather, yet ERCOT (Electricity Reliability Council of Texas), composed primarily of energy industry members with some consumer and government members, failed to do anything. Expecting businesses to spend money that could be handled as profits, has contributed to this mess. Here in Harris County, there are currently somewhere between 1-2 Million people w/o power and neighboring Galveston County has had to order freezer trucks to hold all of the people awaiting autopsies, primarily needed as a result of having no power for 3 days straight with 80% of the county lacking power. Power failures are frequent enough here that a sizable number of power customers have backup generators. We live about 4 houses from a local water pumping station that has priority for electricity restoration, but folks across the street have reported being w/o power from some hurricanes for a couple weeks while we typically get power restored in a few hours on our side of the street.

We've also experienced water cutoffs due to broken pipes and lack of power for pumping stations. We frequently have boiled water notices due primarily to power losses or aging infrastructure. We have a private water service that charges approximately 3-4 times as much as we paid for the public water system in Fairfax County, VA before we moved here. In the 25 years we lived in northern Virginia, I don't remember experiencing more than a couple water outages, yet they happen multiple times per year here. The private water company places profits above infrastructure maintenance, but is now ready to raise our rates to pay for neglected infrastructure. Subsidence has also become a major problem here on the coastal plains with water pumping from deep wells causing the land to drop while also contributing to sea-water intrusion into wells. The area is slowly moving to above ground water sources, but that introduces another set of challenges.

Please be safe

I know it is tough if this is something people are not used to. Prepping for cold weather is routine for most of us up here but you guys think 50 is cold.

I just hope for everyone that 2021 doesn't end up to be 2020 on steroids

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Please be safe

I know it is tough if this is something people are not used to. Prepping for cold weather is routine for most of us up here but you guys think 50 is cold.

I just hope for everyone that 2021 doesn't end up to be 2020 on steroids

The cold has reached all the way down to the Lower Rio Grande Valley. Folks down there start bundling up when temps hit the low 70s!^^

• When it comes to energy I believe an "All hands approach" is best. Because we can. Nothing wrong with alternative sources of energy. I think they are worth putting in place but to shift without caution is dangerous. There is a big push for all electric vehicles in a dramatic way. How will that add to this situation especially on a national scale? Not just for the average traveler but commerce. Food delivery etc?

• The evening new reporting on the outages in Texas said nothing about wind and solar power not working they just said it was because of the old power grid. You can not trust the liberal news anymore.

The news I've seen and read has addressed that many windmills have frozen up.

Common sense would dictate that solar panels likely don't work in a blizzard, or when covered in a foot of snow, so that's not really news.

They've also addressed that the lack of power from these two sources has contributed to the lack of supply as a significant portion of TX power comes from these renewables.

Slingshot beginner (Nov 2020), 2019 S White/Black, Bullet Speed V-Back, with Blue Fire accents

• They do not think of the consequences - EVER

As long as they can have the power and the control. If renewable energy sources were ready for prime time they would already be in place and thriving.

But as long as the government supplements costs to the consumer there is no reason for the manufactures to invest in lowering costs.

Always follow the money

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• This morning...

You just have to be amazed at how the weather reacts around the mountains. We have a huge valley between our mountain and the Blue Ridge. You can watch the weather roll down the valley. It is a real sight to watch a storm at eye level rather than looking up.

Even though I am not the desert dweller type your views are spectacular!

Thanks for sharing

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• My daughter and I took the slingshot down to San Diego yesterday to visit my nephew and his family who are vacationing and they are all running around in wet bathing suits and T-shirts at the pool and we are in our leather jackets. Don’t Even want to think about snow!

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎