Oil Pressure Gauge

• Looking to add some gauges to my SS. For the oil pressure I have a choice between 0-80 psi and 0-100 psi. Can anyone, with a gauge, tell me if the 0-80 psi would be adequate?

Thanks and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Ben Franklin)

2002 FatBoy FLSTF
    2016 Polaris Slingshot

• Looking to add some gauges to my SS. For the oil pressure I have a choice between 0-80 psi and 0-100 psi. Can anyone, with a gauge, tell me if the 0-80 psi would be adequate?

Thanks and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays

@Astrolite Where are you measuring it ? From what I have read a "block tap" will produce a significantly higher reading than a "head tap." And it's not uncommomn to see a cold block tap reading of 80 psi. with the pressure dropping as it comes up to normal operating temperature. According to Bill at Hahn Racecraft a good rule of thumb is 10psi for every 1,000 rpm's. Hope this helps. :thumbup:

• @Astrolite Where are you measuring it ? From what I have read a "block tap" will produce a significantly higher reading than a "head tap." And it's not uncommomn to see a cold block tap reading of 80 psi. with the pressure dropping as it comes up to normal operating temperature. According to Bill at Hahn Racecraft a good rule of thumb is 10psi for every 1,000 rpm's. Hope this helps. :thumbup:

With the oil cooler installed I have a remote oil filter that I am going to be installing two taps in to pick up oil temp and pressure. Would there be a reason why I should not install it there? I know I have seen this done in the past.

• @Slingrazor I would think that would be an ideal place for measuring both pressure and temperature. Although I don't have the remote filter setup yet I feel certain that's what they had in mind when they designed it with the additional taps. You may want to reach out to the vendor you purchased it from, I'm assuming it was DDM?

• @Slingrazor I would think that would be an ideal place for measuring both pressure and temperature. Although I don't have the remote filter setup yet I feel certain that's what they had in mind when they designed it with the additional taps. You may want to reach out to the vendor you purchased it from I'm assuming it was DDM?

Mine is a custom set up that I built. It has two places I can tap to install the pickups.

• @Astrolite Where are you measuring it ? From what I have read a "block tap" will produce a significantly higher reading than a "head tap." And it's not uncommomn to see a cold block tap reading of 80 psi. with the pressure dropping as it comes up to normal operating temperature. According to Bill at Hahn Racecraft a good rule of thumb is 10psi for every 1,000 rpm's. Hope this helps. :thumbup:

This picture probably shows it the best. It's the braided line coming out from under the "1320" emblem, tapped into the block behind there.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Ben Franklin)

2002 FatBoy FLSTF
    2016 Polaris Slingshot

• I have an 80 lb guage along with a temp guage - works fine for me!

If you don't mind me asking @Bill Martin, where are you tapping into? See my picture above. I was actually given instructions by @MISTERZ06 and I know he used an 80 psi gauge. Maybe he can let us know how that's working for him.

2002 FatBoy FLSTF
    2016 Polaris Slingshot

• This picture probably shows it the best. It's the braided line coming out from under the "1320" emblem, tapped into the block behind there.

If you don't mind me asking @Bill Martin, where are you tapping into? See my picture above. I was actually given instructions by @MISTERZ06 and I know he used an 80 psi gauge. Maybe he can let us know how that's working for him.

Bill is running a intercooled Hahn turbo and it looks like you are using the same "block tap" to feed your oil pressure gauge that he is using to feed his turbo.
    I know I didn't answer your question but Bill doesn't seem to be active on the forum tonight so I was just trying to help.

• If you don't mind me asking @Bill Martin, where are you tapping into? See my picture above. I was actually given instructions by @MISTERZ06 and I know he used an 80 psi gauge. Maybe he can let us know how that's working for him.

Bill is running a intercooled Hahn turbo and it looks like you are using the same "block tap" to feed your oil pressure gauge that he is using to feed his turbo.I know I didn't answer your question but Bill doesn't seem to be active on the forum tonight so I was just trying to help.

I PM'ed @Jeff@DDMWorks and he sent me pictures of the rear of the motor right above the trany. Then used a fitting from AutoMeter for the sensor. Very clean

• Sorry I am late to the party.
    I used he port in the head on the back of the motor. The one pictured in an earlier post
    I have to warn you that that port is above the restrictor so you oil pressure reading will be lower than expected.
    But on the bright side if you have pressure up top then everything down below is good

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Sorry I am late to the party.
    I used he port in the head on the back of the motor. The one pictured in an earlier post
    I have to warn you that that port is above the restrictor so you oil pressure reading will be lower than expected.
    But on the bright side if you have pressure up top then everything down below is good

Is there a problem with pulling the temp and pressure off an oil filter remote?

• If you don't mind me asking @Bill Martin, where are you tapping into? See my picture above. I was actually given instructions by @MISTERZ06 and I know he used an 80 psi gauge. Maybe he can let us know how that's working for him.

I'm sorry didn't get back to you sooner - obviously my post must have led you to believe I know what I am doing so I checked it out for you

I can read the digital guage ONLY as that just about reaches the pinnacle of my mechanical expertise. I see the guys have answered (above my head again) so I will just continue to follow dazed and confused ;(

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it