DDM sway bar install Quick Question

• Say what you will but I have a question about the adjustable links.....since the factory links are not adjustable, what do you do with the adjustable links?

Should the links be extended or shortened? I want to stiffen the sway by moving to the other holes.... are they only adjustable to get them to fit different holes or do you actually use them to adjust the stiffness?

Polaris Slingshot Sway Bar Torsional Stiffness Comparison

• Stock Sway Bar - 350 lbs/in.
    • DDMWorks Outer Hole - 462 lbs/in.
    • DDMWorks Inner Hole - 571 lbs/in.

TO stiffen the ride with the adjustable links do you extend them out or shorten them? Thanks

• I’m still confused.....the links are adjustable just so you can install them in different holes on the bar? Or are the links also used to achieve stiffness..by shortening or lengthening the links...

Do we want the end of the sway bar to be pushed up or pulled down?

They are not used to adjust the stiffness? And by using the links in different holes the stiffness is achieved?

Do we need to keep the length of the links as close to the original links for the best results?

If we get the sway bar too stiff will it cause the front end to bounce around more? Causing more sideways hopping in rough curves..

I don’t know the dynamics of a sway bar...that’s why I’m confused about this whole adjustment thing...is it made to push up on the vehicle or pull down?

• Ok I am going to take a stab at this and please somebody correct me if I am wrong.

In my opinion from what I know about sway bars...when you set up a new sway bar you level the sway arms parallel to the control arm...you make the links whatever length you need to to make the arm level. The adjustments are make when you are driving and you feel to much sway to one side or the other. If you corner harder to the left than you do to the right lets say...the turn will cause the vehicle to roll right ...you can then lengthen the right side link to help keep the vehicle more level in that situation.

These adjustments are made for track situations.... for general driving the links are the same length on both sides so equal force is applied to left and right turns. The only difference will be which hole you use on the bar to change the torsional stiffness equally to both sides. Whatever hole you use make the links the same on both sides and the arm as close to level as you can.

If I completely screwed that up somebody will tell you right away. Use this info at your own risk...Dont sue me please!

SSreaper

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

Edited once, last by SSREAPER ().

• The adjustable links do nothing to tighten or loosen the suspension in a sling. Just for looks. Mounting the links through the holes closest to the middle of the sling tightening, furthest away loosens.

Really? If the sling is on the ground and resting on its suspension and you lengthen only one of the links you are twisting the sway bar raising that side up are you not? If you move them both the same then you accomplish nothing.

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• You made a good point about how to set them up. I'm the sling they serve no purpose, they should be set up with a complete neutral hole alignment. If you plan on racing and turning left all the time then they make sense

Your original statement was correct. In the past members have gotten all wrapped up on the adjustable links. We discovered it was easier to tell them the truth, on the sling they are for looks.

• I’m a black and white kinda guy...no gray

Isn’t there a chart to go by...

If you use hole number one the link should be this long.

If you use hole number two the link should be this long..

Polaris Slingshot Sway Bar Torsional Stiffness Comparison

How did they arrive at these numbers?

How long where the adjustable links? Were the nuts tight, were the ends sticking out 3”?

When Polaris came up with their solution to the sway bar...they made the links “x” number of inches long to get whatever tension they wanted...came up with...

Now shouldn’t there be a certain length to the adjustable links? At least to get you in the ball park?

Where’s the freakin set up chart? That’s all I’m asking?

• You made a good point about how to set them up. I'm the sling they serve no purpose, they should be set up with a complete neutral hole alignment. If you plan on racing and turning left all the time then they make sense

Your original statement was correct. In the past members have gotten all wrapped up on the adjustable links. We discovered it was easier to tell them the truth, on the sling they are for looks.

I apologize...I thought I had made it clear that the adjustments were really only used for track usage, I guess I did not....my bad! :/

I was trying to inform the OP not only how to set them up (for normal driving) but also to inform what their original design purpose is for... which is for track usage. NASCAR they are used heavily.

Yes for every day driving just make them the same length and level the bar and enjoy how they look.

Thank you @Slingrazor

SSREAPER

I’m not buying that...you expect me to believe Polaris spent a considerable amount of money and weight ratios...for looks?

Those sway bars were probably added to keep the front wheels on the ground and to prevent rollovers in hard cornering....not to be pretty... that’s not like any manufacturer...

DDM came up with some numbers ... not for looks..just sayin...

A stiffer bar is always better....to a point...

• Polaris Slingshot Sway Bar Torsional Stiffness Comparison

Those numbers are how much force it will take to make the bar twist...those numbers are not dependent on the length of the link. The link could be 2" long or 6" long those numbers remain the same.
    Every car on the road has a sway bar and the links from side to side are the exact same length...The only thing changing both links does is change the level of the bar end. Sometime when we replace the stock sway bar links from being worn out (anybody with a ford f150 can tell you) when the new aftermarket links come they are sometimes a different length. This does nothing to the ride just changes the level of the bar.

SSreaper.