Aftermarket tire rollup (poll)

• Has anyone tried getting their tires from costco, my local discount tires seems to hire their techs from the back of a truck every morning, so you can imagine how much care they put when touching your car.

They once put the jack point in the wrong place and crimped a break line, another time they broke a center wheel cap, so it is safe to say i never went a third time...

Wow! My experiences with Discount Tire have been just the opposite. Used to always use CostCo for tires, but switched to Discount Tire after giving them a try. I ordr my tires for my Slingshot thru DiscountTireDirect and have Discount Tire install them.
    I meant to post this yesterday, but forgot. I'm glad the forum software saved my unposted response. :D

• I buy all my tires through Discount Tire. I like having the ability to rotate and balance at will for free. (OK not on the sling) I never buy the warranty though. The one thing to know is never pay what they tell you the first time. Either ask for a discount or have a better price from another tire company. I even saved $25 a tire by checking the same tire on their discounttiredirect.com and they matched it.

• Here in the Houston area, I can get tires they don't normally carry around this area from DiscountTireDirect with FREE shipping and usually at a lower cost than if DT had the tire in stock locally. Mounting cost at Discount Tire is the same as they charge for tires sold in-store.

• @TheRock, how's the new Nitto 555 G2 rear tire compared to the original 555?

@Fla tom, do you know the width of your SLR rear wheel? What tire sizes did you end up with?

Thanks!

The rear wheel is 11" wide .I went with stock size(305) because I have Corbin bags...I found out after I bought and mounted I could have gone widerThanks to @Cameron Roberts at least when I bald the rear tire I know I can go bigger.

• @TheRock, how's the new Nitto 555 G2 rear tire compared to the original 555?

@Fla tom, do you know the width of your SLR rear wheel? What tire sizes did you end up with?

Thanks!

Unfortunately @Speedr117, the tire shop jacked up my rims which has turned into a PITA and resulted in me still not having the chance to try out my new rubbers! I hate when I don't get to use my new rubbers!! :00000003:

Curb Rash Minus the Curb

• I just took delivery of a Nitto 555 G2 315/35R17 I ordered from DiscountTireDirect. It's just about the same dimensions as the factory 265/35R18 tire and will result in a speed of just under 66 mph at an indicated 65. The only potential drawback is that I plan on using an American Muscle 10th Anniversary Cobra 17 x 10.5" wheel that has a +28 offset. The different offset will place the right side of the tire in about 4 mm to the left of the original factory wheel and tire with the left side of the tire just under 30 mm to the left of the original tire/wheel edge.
    Here's a couple of pic showing the Nitto 555 G2 315 next to my current Nankang NS20 275/35R18 and another pic showing the new Nitto tire behind the current tire to give an approximation of how the new tire should look when mounted.

I'll just have to see how it will handle with the wheel slightly off-center.

• I have to give a shout out to Jason Tung at http://www.getyourwheels.com I ordered TSW Bathurst wheels and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires in 17" front and 20" rear for my base model. The next day he called me and told me that in checking out specs that the size difference would light up the traction control so we changed to 18" fronts. The next day he called again and told me after more checking that the same issue would come up and that some people just masked the TC light with tape. Since I love cruise control we had to do something else. I decided to go to 19" on the front and due to Michelin not making a 315 for the rear I ordered Toyo T1R tires. A friend races a Nissan 350Z and told me that is the only Toyo he uses now and loves it. The best part is that Jason gave me the same price with the larger wheels and tires as the original order with Michelins. It would have cost another $50 with them utilizing a 305 rear. To my door less than $1800. The worst part is they are in my basement since they can't be used or stored at or near freezing. The Rock, Lrobbi, and WraithSS saw them this weekend when they helped install my Alpha sway bar and side exhaust and loved them. I will have to get one of them to help me figure out how to post pictures, but after lusting after other suppliers offerings with to me less attractive wheels and tires from parts unknown for $2500 or more, all I can say is get hold of Jason. His price included 5mm spacer for rear, lug nuts, the works.

• I just took delivery of a Nitto 555 G2 315/35R17 I ordered from DiscountTireDirect. It's just about the same dimensions as the factory 265/35R18 tire and will result in a speed of just under 66 mph at an indicated 65. The only potential drawback is that I plan on using an American Muscle 10th Anniversary Cobra 17 x 10.5" wheel that has a +28 offset. The different offset will place the right side of the tire in about 4 mm to the left of the original factory wheel and tire with the left side of the tire just under 30 mm to the left of the original tire/wheel edge.
    Here's a couple of pic showing the Nitto 555 G2 315 next to my current Nankang NS20 275/35R18 and another pic showing the new Nitto tire behind the current tire to give an approximation of how the new tire should look when mounted.

I'll just have to see how it will handle with the wheel slightly off-center.

@BKL in order to center your new wheel,if my calculations are correct,you either need a .669" wheel spacer or you need to shave .669" off the inside mating surface of your wheel (if that can be done safely). At the risk of sounding like Bill Clinton it depends upon what your definition of left is. Is your new rear wheel off center to the driver's side or the passenger side ? From what you are saying your new wheel's offset is off by 17mm/.6695".

• @Slunglow, the tire will be off to the left as shown here - Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit.
    I don't think I can safely remove anywhere near enough metal from the wheel. The wheel only cost $149, IRC, and if the Slingshot handles OK with the wheel/tire mounted, I don't really care if it looks off. The wheel itself, is similar in spoke design (14 vs 16 spokes on the OEM wheel), but differs in color and shiny stripe. The main thing I was looking for was finding a 17" wheel wide enough to mount a 315/35R17 tire to pretty much match the dimensions of the OEM rear tire.
    Here's a picture of the wheel compared to a Base Slingshot wheel -

Mismatched wheels are still acceptable to me as long as they look somewhat similar.