Aftermarket tire rollup (poll)

• Why not use the 285/30/20? It's wider, is closer to the stock height and fits the stock 2015 SL rear wheel? That's what I've used for the past 15,000 miles with no issues (except the rapid los of rubber)

Thanks for the feedback. Im not opposed to that at all as long as it doesn't cause issues.

Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing.
    Moderation is for cowards.

• Here's the skinny on the tire specs. The original tire size for the SL, is 255/35/20 and is 27.1" in overall height. (which is important for correct spedometer display as well as the basis for the traction control/abs/stability package to fumction properly. the further away you go height wise from the front/rear settings may trip the warning light and causes the system to not function fully. The size you were looking into (275/35/20) has an overall height of 27.8" which is almost a full 3/4" taller and PROBABLY would cause some issues. The 285/30/20 has an overall height of 26.8" which is a tad over a 1/4" shorter and closer to the stock specs. Like I said, I have never set a code or had the light come on for the tire issue. Some tire companies have different overall specs for the SAME tire numbers, so do your research into that as well. I've had two tires from two different companies with the same size number wise be over a half inch wider than the other.

Hope this explains and doesn't confuse the issue

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Here's the skinny on the tire specs. The original tire size for the SL, is 255/35/20 and is 27.1" in overall height. (which is important for correct spedometer display as well as the basis for the traction control/abs/stability package to fumction properly. the further away you go height wise from the front/rear settings may trip the warning light and causes the system to not function fully. The size you were looking into (275/35/20) has an overall height of 27.8" which is almost a full 3/4" taller and PROBABLY would cause some issues. The 285/30/20 has an overall height of 26.8" which is a tad over a 1/4" shorter and closer to the stock specs. Like I said, I have never set a code or had the light come on for the tire issue. Some tire companies have different overall specs for the SAME tire numbers, so do your research into that as well. I've had two tires from two different companies with the same size number wise be over a half inch wider than the other.

Hope this explains and doesn't confuse the issue

I am running the G2 in a 295 45 18 that has an overall height of 28.46 inches. With the ECU calibrated for the stock SL wheels it does not trip the lights. The Speedo is off slightly, reads 60 and actually doing 63. With this configuration I am actually getting grip and not spinning unless I intend to.

• Why not use the 285/30/20? It's wider, is closer to the stock height and fits the stock 2015 SL rear wheel? That's what I've used for the past 15,000 miles with no issues (except the rapid los of rubber)

@funinthesun, I gotta get a Nitto 555 G2 back tire for my sling. You are using this 285/30/20 tire on your stock 9" wide wheel? Any problem with the tire being bulged? Let me know so I can order before heading west to the hill country.

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• Yes, I'm using it on the stock 9" sl wheel and have no issues at all (other than trying to keep it from spinning all the time). I don't know how Polaris is now going to the 305 rear tire option and keeping the 9" wheel

SLR rear wheel is 11"...

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• That's why then. Cool. I'm going to have to see if it was on a SLR or not at my local dealer. The wheel was a 20X9 with the 305, so I assumed it came that way. Could have been a "less than informed" owner who wanted a bigger tire and didn't care what the requirements were

• That's why then. Cool. I'm going to have to see if it was on a SLR or not at my local dealer. The wheel was a 20X0 with the 305, so I assumed it came that way. Could have been a "less than informed" owner who wanted a bigger tire and didn't care what the requirements were

I think a 20X0 is not quite wide enough for a 305...
    :D

• Ok, I missed it somewhere. What lug pattern (or car model) works for the Slingshot in aftermarket rims?

Just to keep it on topic, we are running the Hankook Ventus V12 simply because of it's awesome crappy weather manners. When the pager goes off, you head to station QUICKLY irregardless of road conditions. The Ventus V12 was awesome in the rain in the mountains while running Code 3. Last one ran 8500mi before getting to the wear bars.

Be safe all!

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

• Ok, I missed it somewhere. What lug pattern (or car model) works for the Slingshot in aftermarket rims?

Just to keep it on topic, we are running the Hankook Ventus V12 simply because of it's awesome crappy weather manners. When the pager goes off, you head to station QUICKLY irregardless of road conditions. The Ventus V12 was awesome in the rain in the mountains while running Code 3. Last one ran 8500mi before getting to the wear bars.

Be safe all!

Lug pattern is 5X114.3 (metric) or 5X4.5 (SAE)

• The bolt pattern is 5 lug 4 1/2" pattern which is the typical Ford or Chrysler pattern. It's also referred to by the metric size of 5 X 114.3

The important part is the wheel offset (especially for the rear wheel so it handles correctly). Plus if you have plans to trailer it, make sure you don't go too much wider or bring the offset outside as most trailers have close tollerances to the wheels as it is

• I'm running the 285/30/20 on the stock 20X9 whhel and that's the largest you can go. It actually should be on a 8 1/2, but Discount Tire says it's ok on the 9 inch. But the tire tread even at that size varies a lot from company to company. The widest tread for that size (that I found) was a Toyo Proxes T1S. Traction was ok

I went with the Nitto NT555 G2 285/30/20 but my dealer won't put it on the rear tire. They are staying it's too wide.

I did the research as much as possible only to be told it won't fit.

I am not to much of a gear head, so please bare with me on this.

• @Culchie88, Technically, the dealer (tire shop or Polaris dealer?) is correct according to Nitto - NT555 G2 Summer Ultra High Performance Tire, who say their 285/30ZR20 should be on a wheel with a width between 9.5 - 10.5".
    I'd check if you can exchange the tire for a 555 G2 275/30ZR20 or try to find a tire dealer who is willing to mount it for you. The disadvantage of mounting a tire on a wheel that it too narrow is increased sidewall deflection when cornering. On a vehicle like the Slingshot with only one rear wheel, if the tire sidewall bends to the point that the tire bead loosens from the wheel, you're probably going to wreck. If you're extremely lucky, you'll be able to maintain control and stop, but having a tire/wheel separate in a high-speed turn is not something I'd want to experience.

• I went with the Nitto NT555 G2 285/30/20 but my dealer won't put it on the rear tire. They are staying it's too wide.
    I did the research as much as possible only to be told it won't fit.

I am not to much of a gear head, so please bare with me on this.

nitto 285 30 ZR 20... fits fine and no issues with sensors

Or

• Just pulled the trigger on the Nitto's at all three corners.

235/40/18 up front
    285/30/20 out back

Struggled with the slightly wider tires but after several responses I'm feeling better about it. Damn these things are going to be nice next month in the North GA get together.... :thumbsup:

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup: